Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 12:41 AM

574 posts, read 382,241 times

Advertisements

Go on YouTube, quite a few on there actually doing it! Maybe some of your answers can be found on there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 05:22 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,105 times
We have always tossed the idea around of selling everything and buy a converted van to travel and live in. It sounds fun and adventurous but we have to many ties here right now. Business, paid off home that we love, family ect. I think we could certainly manage, we are not the pampered type and do not need much to get by. We would travel from one spot to another, staying for a few days or months in one area. Maybe do odd jobs along the way for extra cash. I have seen some pretty cool conversion vans that really have all you could need.

Would I do it though purely to save money... No. We save a very good portion and have zero debt so I just don't think the savings for us would be worth it. For others, I'm sure it would be though.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:18 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,115,529 times
Nah... You don't have to sell everything! You can put nearly everything into storage lots. Then you can go mobile...

I actually kinda enjoy mobile living without a set place. And I live in this setup:

Got My Legend Trailer!

Old 04-02-2017, 08:32 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
No.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:52 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times
Holy crap, O-merrimac! How cool! Where do you live?

I went camping once at a family campground. All the tent sites were downhill. You rolled either left or right OR you slept with a wedgie or with the blood pooling in your brain. No comfortable position.
So I slept in my SUV for 3 nights. Let me tell you, NOTHING in a car is comfortable to sleep on. Getting dressed is a contortionist's nightmare.
A conversion van or RV would offer better conditions for sure.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:00 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,115,529 times
If you can fit a camp cot in your SUV then sleeping will be convenient!

Old 04-07-2017, 09:19 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,164,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
If you can fit a camp cot in your SUV then sleeping will be convenient!
Freedom With Bruno - Retired in our 30's, having adventures with Bruno, enjoying our newfound freedom!

Old 04-07-2017, 10:06 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
This showed up in my Facebook feed yesterday:

https://www.outsideonline.com/217069...out-it-sucking

Old 04-08-2017, 01:50 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-merrimac View Post
I currently live in a 32 foot long converted school bus and have since 2010. I work a 40 hour + full time job and save approximately 60% of my net income. All of my bills and services, have been paid in advance for several years now, therefore, creating the odd situation of my bills actually owing me money in the thousands of dollars in pre-payments, should I sever an arrangement with them. I decided to alleviate the cyclic-monthly stresses that come with paying monthly bills by paying all my bills, once a year, for 18 months in advance. I have a 18 month cash back-up that is Equal to 18 months worth of daily-spending habits. I let my employer know my financial situation and unlike all thier other employees, mal-treatment by them towards me will not be tolerated because I'm in a position to quit or be fired or take a leave of absence on or at any moments notice without having to suffer stress or any impact from such a departure what so ever for a minimum of 24 to 36 months from that date, without even so much as a dip in lifestyle, and they tread lightly, around me, but I don't abuse my advantage or position ever, don't need to. My bus home is bought and paid for, as are my Toyota 4x4 truck and my Honda Odyssey mini-van. I do not ever become emotionally ensnarled or entangled with anyone and have no intentions of such, for any reason(s). I was Born alone, and will Happily die alone...we all do... like it or not. So why bother? I socialize only thru direct associations and contacts at work or at the gym. I power all my lighting and cell phone(s)and computers, security cameras, etc. on a collection of scrap 12 volt car batteries, that are recharged constantly from my roof top solar panels and its 12 volt recharger system. I use my employer as the one of many toilet facilities, along with the "open 24 hour a day shopping facilities that sell everything-anywhere at all times. My paid in advance membership to my 24 hour gym facility, offers me a steamroom, sauna, indoor pool and whirlpool, a 1/4 mile indoor track, treadmills, weightlifting machines, and most important,! Private roomed-Endless hot shower facilities....ahhhhhh....and with 6 different locations in my city, hardly makes for a tough life. I live 75 feet away from my place of employment and several 100 yards away from 4 shopping centers and 1 very large upscale mall and 2 parks. Now, Driving: The hours of life the average American loses weekly-monthly-yearly-...over a lifetime basis, sitting behind a steering wheel, driving to and from work, doesn't happen to me, nor do any of the high expense$ associated with the fuel,wear,tear, or maintenance concerning my vehicles ever occur, instead the money go's to my bank accounts and investments and 401k. Because of the convenience and portability of my bus house, I am (by default), the go to guy when and if anyone should need to call out sick or take vacation or if theres difficulty finding someone to cover an all day shift or a tight schedule. I always say yes, and I have never been late or absent or called out sick...Never... I am the after hours eyes and ears for my employer. I have all security codes and clearances and all emergency #'s to my employers business, as well as all the surrounding businesses alike. I have bailed fellow employees out of jail, as well as accompanied fellow employees to the emergency room after hours to avail them to me because they hadn't family who cared (that was truly...sad, hurtful and depressing...)This situation is afforded to me because of the rather risky and unique lifestyle choices I made some 20 years ago when I was homeless and living out of a inner-city garage before being made completely shelterless by the city's zoning department thru its " But.. its not pretty---committee " I now, live in a rather large zoning-department proof-vehicle rather than pretending the struggle of paying the unnecessary expensive tradition housing cost and all the Vagas like unstable stresses that it entails. The unmatchable conveniences and offerings that I can provide to those who know me, is unlike anything, anyone else in the company can offer, but yet these things are still highly needed and appreciated at zero cost to the company. They look after and protect me and I, vice-versa. I am currently living in one of the most expensive-trendy areas of the United States and enjoy this local on equal par with those who pay dearly to live where I live. So can you live in a car ? I don't know...nor would I try...But a bus ?... Undoubtedly !
That's awesome, O-merrimac

I always enjoy hearing about people who manage an unconventional lifestyle. My lifestyle is a lot more conventional that I'd prefer sometimes... but for me it's been easiest option.

So where do you park your bus?

Here in my boring Midwestern city there are lots of vacant lots in areas where nobody particularly wants to live that can be bought for next to nothing. I've sometimes thought that it'd be an easy and cheap living arrangement to park an RV or the like on one of those lots.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:17 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,331,295 times
My friend did that when he was in college. Lived in a van. Saved a crap load of money. Ate fastfood and showered at school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living