U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 07:14 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,387,870 times

Advertisements

Too difficult to assess based on price point alone when you're talking used cars.

There are too many potentially contributing factors. A low-priced 10+ year old high mileage car isn't so low-priced if you have to sink a bunch into keeping it roadworthy and safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 07:21 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,741,970 times
I prefer to buy new and keep it for 10-15 years.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I prefer to buy new and keep it for 10-15 years.
That's how I am.

I grew up limping along worn out vehicles purchased for peanuts that needed constant work, they never lasted long, and it was just not cost effective. Now, I prefer to buy a budget vehicle new, take care of it, and drive it for a decade or more.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:37 PM

2,065 posts, read 1,327,720 times
anything less than $5K is too risky in my opinion. anything over $10K is "nice to have but not frugal.

my last cR WAS $8K AND I KEPT IT 10 years. no problem until year 8 of ownership. this time we splurge a little

Old 08-28-2016, 02:54 PM

125 posts, read 71,546 times
Quote:
IDK.. I am thinking a truly frugal person might not even have a vehicle.
Actually they would because time is also money, and wasting time is wasting money.
Being frugal is not being cheap, being cheap actually leads to a more expensive lifestyle.
Example;
Being frugal doesn't mean someone wouldn't buy a $200 pair of shoes, it means the person will buy a pair that will last a long long time. Whereas someone cheap would buy 30 dollar walmart shoes which last like barely a year, and then ends up having to buy new ones, which in the long run costs more...

Anyways!!!
So OP; In my opinion the best vehicle to buy is the highest you can afford to pay in cash. This vehicle would also have excellent reliability ratings, and be cheap to maintain. This vehicle would also be practical for everyday life and be able to used in case your circumstances change.. Oh, and it would also last at least 400k miles.
There is no price range on that

If I could pay 30k in cash I'd get a newer diesel truck and I'd probably never have to buy another car in my life. (Can last over a million miles)

Old 08-28-2016, 05:06 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,741,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LudditeMan View Post
Actually they would because time is also money, and wasting time is wasting money.
I was thinking more of not having to have a vehicle because you live where things are accessible.

I know people in SF and London (among others) who have no need to own a car. And they are definitely NOT wasting time.

I agree with you though with the difference between frugal and cheap. And the people I know without cars are not cheap.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:38 PM

125 posts, read 71,546 times
Quote:
I was thinking more of not having to have a vehicle because you live where things are accessible.

I know people in SF and London (among others) who have no need to own a car. And they are definitely NOT wasting time.

I agree with you though with the difference between frugal and cheap. And the people I know without cars are not cheap.
Oh.. Well that would make sense. If I lived in London I wouldn't own a car either, maybe a bicycle.

Sorry I never think of it that way lol, I live in an area where you pretty much need a car to get around. Which is pretty much most of the United States...

Old 08-29-2016, 02:48 PM

1,133 posts, read 3,179,527 times
In 2007 I paid $4600 (cash) for a 2001 Subaru Outback with 110k on it. It was priced low (private sale) because it has the crackly paint defect and some other issues that the owners thought it had (it was fine). I still have it. It runs well and the paint job looks fine from the drivers seat. I plan to drive it a few more years. I only drive 3000-4000 miles per year. It only has 150k on it now.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:

I've lived in urban areas with great public trans where I did not need to own a car. Unfortunately, the COL was so high that it canceled out the frugality in going without a personal vehicle.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:54 AM

1,390 posts, read 1,957,925 times
I try to get under $7k and as close or below 100k miles as I can. I like hatchbacks like the Matrix, Vibe, Versa. I also have a Mazda 5 for the wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living