Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 03:33 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,030,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
Didn't you have a thread last year asking about this?
Earlier this year and it was regarding led light bulbs. I changed them and many other things that was suggested in that thread. And the search continues.

My house was built in the early 70's. It is 2500 sq ft and north east. So fairly cold November - April.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
turn the trees into firewood (i.e. heat) and add the solar

You don't mention where you live, or type of house.

I live in a moderate mtn zone and heat 4,000SF for 1/10th your costs. I built the joint 25 yrs ago, so it is showing it's age in heat loss. The worse mistake was installing Hardie about 10 yrs ago. Cement siding significantly drains the heat during 80 mph freezing winds.

next place will be earth sheltered (again.... did that back in 1970's)
I would have to cut down 20-30, 100 ft oak trees to see sunlight. I have more than enough limbs that fall for the fire pit, but no way of burning wood in the house. Plus I am a single mom of two kids. Cutting, stacking and carrying fire wood is more than I can handle on my plate.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
A propane fireplace insert is not very cost effective. If you can convert to burn wood, that could save you some real money. It's work though. Or maybe coal.

If you are using electric resistance heat in winter, high efficiency appliances won't help you much, the juice they save goes to the heaters.
Cutting, stacking and hauling firewood is too much work. I just don't have the energy for that. I am a late 30's single mom of two kids.

The appliances were not using crazy amounts of energy. They didn't in my old house either.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:42 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,570,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I have diligently been trying to get my monthly electric bill to a reasonable cost all year. This year we have used 4086, 3180, 2206, 1398, 1351, 1303 (last year same month 1285) and 1599 (last year same month 1100) kWh.

So far this year I have done the following-

- changed 30 bulbs to led lights.
- had heat pump serviced.
- put a meter on all appliances to check usage. Nothing was alarming, including the well pump.
- applied for and had energy audit
- had $12k worth of weatherization, including insulation added to attic.

What should be the next step?
-maybe energy efficient windows? Plant a deciduous tree or two on south side of house?

Old 08-29-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
How did you manage that? I don't mind "state" doing something similar.

So what good is propane insert? Propane prices around here are worse than electricity ones.
Also, think about it. Where does most of the heat produced by firelplace go? Exactly. Up the chimney or vent.
With pellet stove, you have it set as actual decorum piece somewhere where it radiates heat 360 degrees. In a 2 story house, according to laws of physics, heat goes up and heats up 2nd floor. Entire house actually has very nice dry heat.
Yes, it's a bit of a hassle. You have to dispose of burnt stuff and refill it routinely. But it is still very much so cheaper than anything else. Unless you have a wood burning formal fireplace designed to heat rooms.
Another source of heat is indoor oil burning furnace. As far as you have cheap oil supply.
The propane insert was our saving grace last winter. It actually keeps that room and the kitchen warm.

My house is a tri-level with a basement. So it is really four levels staggered. I don't have the time, energy or ability to handle firewood. Also I would need to re do the chimney for wood burning.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
-maybe energy efficient windows? Plant a deciduous tree or two on south side of house?
I have newer Windows. The house is surrounded by trees.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:04 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,369,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I have newer Windows. The house is surrounded by trees.
Do you have ceiling fans or other fans that could circulate air..insulated/darkened window coverings to keep out environmental heat transfer into your living space?

Insulation is so important..BUT what really made a difference for me was when I sealed the frames that surround windows..and other leaks that was pointed out when I had my house given the tests ( I called it the Huff/Blow test) ..and the tests actually was shown just where those leaks were..Unbelievable ..alot of heat/cool losses were thru Electrical Outlets ( such as light switches and electrical plugs)..Easy fix..foam pre-fabricated for both cheap and just put them behind the face plates for each outlets..Sure made a huge difference.

After my test and shown where I was losing heat/cool..I followed the suggestions to a T...About 1 month later....Got retested..and voila..my loss was decreased by over 75%! People just do not realize how the unseen leaks can affect ability to keep indoor environment temps more stable..Noted immediate difference in my bills for sure! I also replaced my 30 year old furnace with a 97% efficiency..and electronic ignition..versus pilot light ( *** furnace) ..right there..no constant pilot necessary!!

It's always best to conserve whenever and where ever we can..So I say..Good on you OP!!

Old 08-29-2016, 04:20 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,623,242 times
Buy a refrigerator thermometer and a meat thermometer. The cheap analog refrigerator thermometer will show a food safe range. Place in refrigerator before bed and check temperature in morning. Adjust thermostat to maintain a food safe range. Don't forget to clean the coils under the refrigerator.

Use the meat thermometer to test the hot water temperature. You might be running hotter than necessary. If you can afford it, switch to a tankless water heater. Another option is to turn off the water heater when it's not needed.

Go in attic and inspect the duct work for torn insulation and air leaks. Rodents use insulation for bedding material. Tape up any torn insulation until you can have the ducts replaced.

Do you have electric attic fans? Consider switching to solar powered fans or roof vents. If your electric attic fan is thermostatically controlled, check the thermostat to ensure it isn't set on a low setting causing the fan to run constantly.

Don't stop at cleaning clothes dryer vent. Open up the dryer and clean the inside of the blower housing.

Install solar screens on windows.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:13 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,894,530 times
You missed an easy one. Put power strips on appliances and shut off while not in use. You'd be surprised by how much "vampire" power they use. Air conditioning is by far the hugest power consumer, but there are lots of smaller ways to save electric power, and they last all year.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Do you have ceiling fans or other fans that could circulate air..insulated/darkened window coverings to keep out environmental heat transfer into your living space?

Insulation is so important..BUT what really made a difference for me was when I sealed the frames that surround windows..and other leaks that was pointed out when I had my house given the tests ( I called it the Huff/Blow test) ..and the tests actually was shown just where those leaks were..Unbelievable ..alot of heat/cool losses were thru Electrical Outlets ( such as light switches and electrical plugs)..Easy fix..foam pre-fabricated for both cheap and just put them behind the face plates for each outlets..Sure made a huge difference.

After my test and shown where I was losing heat/cool..I followed the suggestions to a T...About 1 month later....Got retested..and voila..my loss was decreased by over 75%! People just do not realize how the unseen leaks can affect ability to keep indoor environment temps more stable..Noted immediate difference in my bills for sure! I also replaced my 30 year old furnace with a 97% efficiency..and electronic ignition..versus pilot light ( *** furnace) ..right there..no constant pilot necessary!!

It's always best to conserve whenever and where ever we can..So I say..Good on you OP!!
That's great!! As part of the weatherization project, they sealed air leaks all throughout my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living