U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 02:01 PM

10,274 posts, read 6,515,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post

I have a propane gas insert in the fireplace. Between electric and propane, I easily pay $1000 a month for heat in the winter months.
Wow that's really high, I would look into a wood burning stove.

Your home must be huge or you have really high ceilings in the great room or like it really hot inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 04:25 PM

11 posts, read 5,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
That is a US state I am not familiar with.
LOL. She lives in Maine. This is an assumption. Assuming anyone living in Maine does not want to admit it.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:04 AM

6,911 posts, read 3,746,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Wow that's really high, I would look into a wood burning stove.

Your home must be huge or you have really high ceilings in the great room or like it really hot inside.
Wood stove would be way too much work. I am a single mom with two kids. No husband to help. My father is getting to old to even do wood at his house.

The house is around 2500 sq ft and is a tri level. I do not live in Maine. But out winters are cold. I keep the heat set on 65. We freeze in the house.

Old 09-02-2016, 03:02 PM

13,405 posts, read 42,760,536 times
I'm assuming natural gas is not available - if it was, with current prices, you could cut your bills quite a bit.

Your house is big, that is driving your heating cost.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:18 PM

11,898 posts, read 14,375,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
That is a US state I am not familiar with.
But it is a unique place. High concentration of people and wealth. Home to the longest electrified railroad in the US. Another unique feature is that many homeowners don't have gas. Not referring to their health, but many still heat with oil! Probably stems from the days when Arab oil was cheap and most it came through northeast ports.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:03 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,510,865 times
Heating and cooling are usually the two biggest expense when it comes to electric/gas bill. When I bought my house, the best investment I ever made was installing a ceiling fan in EVERY SINGLE ROOM and having those box fan to suck in the cool breeze at night. I use the A/C 4-5 times a year. The majority of the time, the ceiling fan was good enough....but that depends on where you live.

In the winter, my wife and I wear much thicker close and since we don't have kids, we don't heat every single room. Just the one we are staying in.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:59 AM

6,911 posts, read 3,746,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
Heating and cooling are usually the two biggest expense when it comes to electric/gas bill. When I bought my house, the best investment I ever made was installing a ceiling fan in EVERY SINGLE ROOM and having those box fan to suck in the cool breeze at night. I use the A/C 4-5 times a year. The majority of the time, the ceiling fan was good enough....but that depends on where you live.

In the winter, my wife and I wear much thicker close and since we don't have kids, we don't heat every single room. Just the one we are staying in.
We do have ceiling fans in every room. Cooling is not as expensive as heat. Heat is really expensive. We go from $150-$200 a month to $600 electric bill once hear goes on.

We also have two units, each covers different zones. The house is very open which makes it hard to only heat certain rooms.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:55 PM

473 posts, read 284,499 times
Stop usage of dryer. Clothing holds up better if hanged up to dry it, especially ladies stuff.

Plan usage of oven to fill oven full with 3-4 dishes and reheat rest in microwave for week. Try to bake in mornings if you can. Crockpots. Cook whole recipes on stovetop. Saves lots on lunches and weight gain by taking leftovers with some fruit and yogurt, drinks. Can cook up meats 2 times a week and just spend 10-15minutes before each meal making a different dish each time. Soups/stews warm you up.

Invest in tank tops/shorts for summer and t-shirt/flannels/warmups for winter. Keep blanket by computer and on couch for tv times. Experiment with heat/AC settings and make sacrifices to save $$$. Get good winter bedding and turn down heat at night, making sure not to freeze pipes. Leave water drip and kitchen/bathroom cabinet doors open if you live in old house or plumbing is on outside walls.

Cold showers are good air conditioning.

Keep computers/video game systems turned off unless being used.

Fridge runs best if full but using old fridge in garage for drinks is a waste. Consider replacing old appliances with newer energy efficient models, especially refrigerators.

Wrap up water heater with insulation blanket.

Consider replacing furnace with unit that lights every time, not a constant pilot light. Natural gas or propane is much cheaper heat source than electric.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:00 PM

473 posts, read 284,499 times
May consider working from home to get tax write off but there is catch about sale of house has to be handled as depreciated by the amount of money you wrote off. Is major got you in some areas with questionable business .... At very least, experiment with temperature needed to keep pipes from freezing and turn heat down during day while gone -- leave cabinet doors open to plumbing and leave it dripping.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:08 PM

14,327 posts, read 12,584,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
You might get some styrofoam insulation panels to fit inside your windows in the winter months. You can buy a big sheet for $15 at Home Depot and cut it to fit a window. It blocks a lot of cold from coming in that way but it will block light too.

A friend of mine does that in the summer with a window in her second story bedroom that gets the brutal afternoon sun. She said it makes a big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living