U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 08:48 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,380,730 times

Advertisements

I attached a device to our fuse panel that measures the consumption. I found that the fridge, freezer, lights and computers, etc were not big consumers of power. The electric water heater was by far the highest power user. Next, when the drier was on, it consumed a tremendous amount of power. I have our water heater on a timer now and that helped quite a bit. I was surprised that the fridge and freezer did not consume that much power.

I would have the meter checked out to determine if it is faulty. Maybe the power company can just come out and swap it out.

When I built on to the house, I had someone come in and spray polyurethane spray foam insulation between the rafters. It takes very little to heat and cool the newer part of the house and it is very quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 09:13 PM

2,746 posts, read 3,473,021 times
You could install a mechanical timer on the water heater. No sense keeping the water hot at night when you are sleeping or during the day while you are at work.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:26 PM

509 posts, read 419,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
I attached a device to our fuse panel that measures the consumption. I found that the fridge, freezer, lights and computers, etc were not big consumers of power. The electric water heater was by far the highest power user. Next, when the drier was on, it consumed a tremendous amount of power. I have our water heater on a timer now and that helped quite a bit. I was surprised that the fridge and freezer did not consume that much power.

I would have the meter checked out to determine if it is faulty. Maybe the power company can just come out and swap it out.

When I built on to the house, I had someone come in and spray polyurethane spray foam insulation between the rafters. It takes very little to heat and cool the newer part of the house and it is very quiet.
They do not.

You did not need a reader for that. Just the power output should give you hints. I believe the compressor runs at around 150 Wh on a fridge or something and only powers up 20 minutes every hour or so.

It brings it at around 1-1.5 kWh per day for a fridge if that much.

AC, we are talking probably 3-4 kWh per hour! ... Dryer should be around the same or a tiny bit less.

Drop the dryer or at least put as much in it as you can per cycle and it should help.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
This suggestion always makes me laugh at first, and then be sad. Are there places where the is an option? Other than the optional utilities like internet, phone and TV, I've never lived anywhere that HAD other options. There is one power company, one gas company, one water company, one sewer company, one trash company for any give house. I manage around 175 rentals scattered around my area, and every one of them has a list of "THE" companies you must call. There are no options. If you want water, this is who you call. Your other option is to dig your own well. If you want power, this is who you call. Your other option is off grid solar panels. So it always surprises me to hear people suggest shopping around, because it is something that would never occur to me to suggest.

OP, if you have that option, use it.
I dont know where you live but if the market is liberated in your state you should be able to do so.

Attention, supplier and generation are different.

I still only have 1 power company to my area, which is PP&L. They own the network. However, I can shop who my electricity generator company is. Yes you can do this almost anywhere in the US i think (well i just confirmed and its a 50/50. Market is liberalized in 25 markets in the US, and all of northeast is like this.) You just go to a website and check the rates of different companies. I have like 50+ companies available or more. Granted, these are introductory rates, meaning after the introductory period usually rates get more expensive, however what i do is just jump around from one to the other every 6 months (usually the introductory period). It takes like 5 minutes of my time every 6 months and has saved me 40% of my costs.

Maybe try a google on your state power board or even call your electricity provider and ask if you can shop your rates. They should be able to tell you, or forward to the online portal/website if there is one.

Old 12-08-2016, 04:38 PM

2,584 posts, read 3,783,334 times
We have the lowest electrical rates in the United States. I also have a solar house on a mountain meadow. Which means that I have the lowest and highest rates possible!!!

So this is what I did at my solar house.

Get rid of anything with a electrical heating element. Solar does not generate enough electricity to run a heating element. Any heating element. Our stove, dryer, hot water heater, and furnace all run on propane. Even our fridge runs on propane, though the new fridges are pretty energy efficient.

Get rid of hair dryer. Get rid of electric coffee maker. They use as much electricity as a clothes washer!

We did replace the CFL lights with LED's. That made a huge difference.

Put all outside insecurity lights on motion detectors or better yet turn them off and keep them off.

The other HUGE power drain are "parasitic" electrical draws such as your TV, stereo, phone charger, electric clock radios, clock on microwave and oven. Go through your house and make a list of all these parasitic draws on your electricity. Then go buy a barrier strip to totally shut off power to these appliances when not using them. EVEN the washer and dryer have a parasitic draw!!

You will be surprised at how much your paying for this "service"!! In our solar house we do not generate enough electricity to tolerate losing our battery bank capacity for parasitic draws.

We reduced our total electrical use to 10% of our in town house which is all electric. But at .027 cents a kilowatt hour in that house I can heat the house to 75 degrees in winter and not worry about the cost. We don't have that option on the solar house.

Go buy one of these. You put in your cost of electricity, plug in the appliance and it will tell you what the electrical costs for that appliance are on a daily, monthly, and annual basis.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_16soh9wyit_b

Old 12-11-2016, 07:15 PM

3,298 posts, read 4,644,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Insulation is so important..BUT what really made a difference for me was when I sealed the frames that surround windows..and other leaks that was pointed out when I had my house given the tests ( I called it the Huff/Blow test) ..and the tests actually was shown just where those leaks were..Unbelievable ..alot of heat/cool losses were thru Electrical Outlets ( such as light switches and electrical plugs)..Easy fix..foam pre-fabricated for both cheap and just put them behind the face plates for each outlets..Sure made a huge difference.

After my test and shown where I was losing heat/cool..I followed the suggestions to a T...About 1 month later....Got retested..and voila..my loss was decreased by over 75%! People just do not realize how the unseen leaks can affect ability to keep indoor environment temps more stable..
For only $14, you can order from http://www.amazon.com , their most highly-rated model "Etekcity 774 lasergrip infrared digital thermometer" and receive it in 2 days. You can point and move this handheld gadget, all around your house and instantly find out exactly where you're losing heat from cracks around windows and doors, etc. This model gets "5 stars" (highly positive comments from users).

Last edited by slowlane3; 12-11-2016 at 07:40 PM..

Old 12-11-2016, 09:28 PM

7,170 posts, read 6,017,031 times
cheapest way to save money on utilities is to make sure to buy a house with a natural gas line going to it, with forced air gas heat, assuming you live in a cold climate.

It's by far the cheapest way to heat, unless you have access to unlimited amounts of wood, but there's the time cost of hauling it, cutting it, etc. Time is money.

Wood pellets don't even come close to the efficiency of gas... you'd be better off using a ventless natural gas heater for emergencies such as this one rather than spending big bucks on a pellet stove, though I admit they are a fun toy. Natural gas has the advantage of being pretty much on all the time even when the power and other items go out.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Nat...ss+natural+gas

Aside from that, having insulation in the attic and making sure you seal up leaks around doors and windows are biggies.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
cheapest way to save money on utilities is to make sure to buy a house with a natural gas line going to it, with forced air gas heat, assuming you live in a cold climate.

It's by far the cheapest way to heat, unless you have access to unlimited amounts of wood, but there's the time cost of hauling it, cutting it, etc. Time is money.

Wood pellets don't even come close to the efficiency of gas... you'd be better off using a ventless natural gas heater for emergencies such as this one rather than spending big bucks on a pellet stove, though I admit they are a fun toy. Natural gas has the advantage of being pretty much on all the time even when the power and other items go out.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Nat...ss+natural+gas

Aside from that, having insulation in the attic and making sure you seal up leaks around doors and windows are biggies.
agree but instead of force heat i would go for radiant water system with natural gas.

MOre comfortable at lwoer temps which means you dont use as much gas than a forced air furnace.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:00 PM

2,584 posts, read 3,783,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
......cheapest way to save money on utilities is to make sure to buy a house with a natural gas line going to it, with forced air gas heat, assuming you live in a cold climate........
That is generally true in much of the country......however, here in eastern Washington state electricity is cheaper than natural gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living