U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there a specific reason you get cable TV?
I get cable for the mix and watch most channels. 5 17.24%
I get cable but spend most of the time hunting for something to watch. 6 20.69%
I get cable for the sports and could care less about the rest. 3 10.34%
I get cable for the news and could care less about the rest. 5 17.24%
I get cable for the movies and could care less about the rest. 1 3.45%
I get cable for the specialty channels and could care less about the rest. 5 17.24%
I get cable, but for no specific channel groups or types. 8 27.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 09:06 PM

4,514 posts, read 8,597,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Mostly cable is running old network TV shows. A lot of them from the 70's, and running the same show for hours on end. The good cooking shows are all gone. The home improvement/ flipping shows are mostly gone and the ones that are left, they run the same show over and over.
That's what is being shown on the OTA subchannels of the major broadcast stations (English & Spanish--there some English-language subchannels on these stations in Houston). At least I don't have to pay cable for the same reruns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I have cable TV because my internet provider is the cable company and for whatever reason they are charging more for standalone internet than for internet plus TV. It does not make sense, you would think that it would be better for the service provider to have internet only customers because it would lower the carriage fees they pay to the media companies. Carriage fees are calculated per subscriber.
I would have gotten the VOIP home phone instead. It's cheaper than the TV package and converter box rental. Comcast/Xfinity allows me to call the entire U.S., Canada, and now Mexico, China, India, and Singapore for free.

Even if you kept standalone internet, it will save you the hassle of price increases on the packages when the promos expire. Internet-only is usually cheaper than a package with TV.

I've saved money by cancelling my cell phone (when the contract expired a few months ago) and just having a VOIP landline. Less hassle, less fuss. One less voicemail to check, one less phone number to keep track for incoming calls, no more $100/month bill, and the feeling of not being tracked by the GPS built into the cell phone!!! It's part of simplifying my life. I just don't like being interrupted while on errands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 11:51 PM

2,461 posts, read 1,201,958 times
Just a few months ago, I was paying 181 for internet, home phone service and TV. Now I only pay 96 for all 3...which my internet is MUCH FASTER. I'm still under contract with Dish, but my goal is to get hulu and netflix combo with a home recorder to record my local shows. I also want to get a VIOP adapter so I can use google voice on my land line, that would save me $6 a month. And I also can get sling TV during NBA season for 20 a month but cancel once the season is over. Overall, my plan is to spend 42-62 a month on these things...A huge upgrade from paying 181 for an inferior product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or