Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there a specific reason you get cable TV?
I get cable for the mix and watch most channels. 5 17.24%
I get cable but spend most of the time hunting for something to watch. 6 20.69%
I get cable for the sports and could care less about the rest. 3 10.34%
I get cable for the news and could care less about the rest. 5 17.24%
I get cable for the movies and could care less about the rest. 1 3.45%
I get cable for the specialty channels and could care less about the rest. 5 17.24%
I get cable, but for no specific channel groups or types. 8 27.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 09:50 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times

Advertisements

What kinds of programming do you think you cannot do without?

It doesn't really matter what price you pay.

If you could get the sports channels would you even bother with the rest of the cable channels?
If you could get the movie channels would you even bother with the rest of the cable channels?
If you could get the science channels would you even bother with the rest of the cable channels?
If you could get the history channels would you even bother with the rest of the cable channels?

If you could buy channels individually, which ones would you buy?

Personally I gave up Cable TV years ago because it is not a value purchase, but I do miss
  • "The Discovery Channel",
  • "The learning Channel",
  • and sometimes "BBC America."
The rest is a wasteland.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 08-31-2016 at 09:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 01:13 PM

524 posts, read 574,490 times
My issue isn't on the list. I have cable mostly for the broadcast stations, because an antenna will not get a signal where I live. Since I have cable anyway, I upgrade the package to the one that gets AMC.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:22 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooks1976 View Post
My issue isn't on the list. I have cable mostly for the broadcast stations, because an antenna will not get a signal where I live.
Us too.
And Pittsburgh sports... baseball, football, and most importantly, hockey!

And in the poll, shouldn't all those be COULDN'T care less?

Old 08-31-2016, 02:06 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
I have it because I'm over 50, and set in my ways -- as far as the way I like to watch TV.

I like to have a program guide to all the channels….to conveniently scroll, see what's on any given channel and watch what I choose to watch.
I have no idea how Hulu, Roku, or Netflicks works and don't want to know.

With NO premium channels my Triple Play for three TVs is 190.00 month. MUCH to rich for my pocketbook, so next month -- for the first time ever -- I'm switching from FiOS to Comcast. I hate to do it but if Verizon won't match the Comcast offer, it leaves me no choice but to leave their service.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:17 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times
I wish I had options for broadcast TV and internet. But cable is the only choice I have. I could get separate DSL for Internet and Satrelite for cable but it would cost more.

Old 09-01-2016, 04:53 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I have cable becasue I can't receive any stations over the air.

It's been a long time since I last had cable and I am dismayed by the change. Mostly cable is running old network TV shows. A lot of them from the 70's, and running the same show for hours on end. The good cooking shows are all gone. The home improvement/ flipping shows are mostly gone and the ones that are left, they run the same show over and over.

We have a sports package but they run really bizarre stuff. The football games are on network TV, not cable channels.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:11 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
I wish I could get a discount for removing all sports channels. But otherwise, I watch a lot of the rest. But I don't watch anything live. My DVR is my friend. I haven't watched a commercial in a long time.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:42 AM

575 posts, read 1,371,058 times
Default the upper level lesser channels

I am a 55-year-old woman. I live in an apartment in a valley and can only get a few over-the-air channels with an antenna. I increased my cable package several years ago because I could no longer find programming I wanted in the regular package. I watch a lot of older reruns, older movies and series from Canada (Ion and Up) and England (BBC America).
My mother is 77 and she, too, increased her channel package about the same time I did.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:04 AM

9,088 posts, read 6,311,647 times
I have cable TV because my internet provider is the cable company and for whatever reason they are charging more for standalone internet than for internet plus TV. It does not make sense, you would think that it would be better for the service provider to have internet only customers because it would lower the carriage fees they pay to the media companies. Carriage fees are calculated per subscriber.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:59 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
I just reduced my cable line-up - lost some channels I would have liked to keep, unfortunately, stuck w/some I'll NEVER watch - but trying to save some $$
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living