U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2016, 01:44 PM

11,438 posts, read 19,463,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
So do I. A friend of mine will only eat organic apples. He says the others have pesticides in the skin. Then I find out they don't spray apple trees when the fruit is on them. He's a pale, sickly looking man, too.
I eat organic fruit for a different reason. Non organic apples by the piece are most often these huge apples that are two of three "servings". When you are diabetic, the amount of apple you eat really matters. So organics are often smaller by comparison. And if you're the only person who is eating fruit, a big baby head sized apple means a lot of waste or trying to find another use or trying to get to save for the next serving....not good with fruit.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 04:27 PM

375 posts, read 208,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I eat organic fruit for a different reason. Non organic apples by the piece are most often these huge apples that are two of three "servings". When you are diabetic, the amount of apple you eat really matters. So organics are often smaller by comparison. And if you're the only person who is eating fruit, a big baby head sized apple means a lot of waste or trying to find another use or trying to get to save for the next serving....not good with fruit.
Although I eat organic fruit mostly because of less pesticides, I agree that the smaller size of fruit is a real bonus. I also notice that small organic fruit is more flavorful than the bigger conventional fruit. I buy organic apples by the bagful, usually at Target when they are on sale and have coupons and cartwheel discounts. They are one of my "stock up items" because they keep a very long time in the fridge without losing flavor.

Old 11-20-2016, 04:58 PM

13,436 posts, read 7,159,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Interesting you should say that...I've been getting "kid-sized" apples because I noticed I can hardly eat an entire apple anymore in the morning! It's just too much and I'm tired of it before I'm even finished - yes, quality is more important than quality.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:37 PM

687 posts, read 431,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Interesting you should say that...I've been getting "kid-sized" apples because I noticed I can hardly eat an entire apple anymore in the morning! It's just too much and I'm tired of it before I'm even finished - yes, quality is more important than quality.
The most apparent difference in this regard is chicken breasts. Franken-breasts pumped full of water and hormones creep me out and taste awful, and should be a fine reminder of the inhumane treatment of the birds. Yet, good luck finding a decent cut of chicken in a grocery store for an affordable price. There is one butcher in our entire county that provides good meat that is still affordable. I have to drive 15 miles away (30 minutes) to get it.

So I hardly eat chicken anymore. Probably better all around.

Apples here have doubled in price over the last two years, so I don't eat them much anymore, either.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:38 PM

51,361 posts, read 50,609,566 times
^Interesting. I shop at a specialty store because of the quality of the produce (in summer I buy from local farmstands). They have a variety of apples, some from a local orchard, but I don't want the huge ones, either.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:30 AM

2,349 posts, read 1,296,776 times
Yeah, chicken is an issue for me, to buy a free range one at the greenmarket is $20+, more than 2-3X the grocer or butcher price. I don't want to eat too much red meat so chicken is usually the "canvas" that I use for stir fries, curries, veggie & rice combos.... But that is a big price to pay with very little taste difference that I have found anyway, so I usually buy the typical store variety.

I have discovered buffalo meat, water buffalo not the great plains buffalo. It's pretty low fat, grass fed, high nutrients & no antibiotics & the chopped meat tastes very similar to chopped beef. At $10/lb I can mix it in with a lot of things like beans, veggies or brown rice & get several large servings, around here that is 2X the price of chopped steak at my butcher.

Looking on the positive side the higher cost of quality meat forces me to reduce it's portion size relative to the veggies/beans & whole grains on the plate which is healthy by itself. I tend to have the meat as an smaller ingredient in a whole grain/vegetable dish & only once or twice a week have a big chunk of cooked meat by itself alongside "the sides".

Old 11-23-2016, 10:51 PM

15,240 posts, read 15,242,866 times
I do my best to eat what I consider a good diet.

But I do not get totally anal about every little aspect of what I put into my mouth........nope, not going Vegan and not going to pay double the price for organic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or