Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 09:29 AM

294 posts, read 335,958 times

Advertisements

I work with chemists and if you ask them, everything is organic

Old 09-02-2016, 09:42 AM

37,328 posts, read 61,154,439 times
The nationwide corporate food industry encompasses a lot of topics. It most certainly makes for strange bedfellows.

A lot of weird chemicals go into this industry. Only a very tiny percentage of the food industry is farmers out in fields. The list of ingredients on a jar of Mayonaise [assuming that your store still carries mayo and has not shifted to a creamy white sandwich spread], or any other manufactured food-like substance, supports the rationale that a huge chunk of the food industry is refineries, chemical plants and factories.

On the national scale there have been a lot of these corporations getting into 'Organic Certification'. They are doing it because there is market share to be had. But they are still corporations focused on profits and cost cutting, so there will be recalls and contamination.

Where I live, I am in the middle of a local grown organic food culture. What I see of organic is entirely different.

I see Farmer's Markets, CSAs, and Buyers Clubs. I see neighboring farmers who park their pickup truck or box van at the loading dock of the grocery store and sell directly to the grocery store. Our grocery store produce aisles have placards telling the customer the name of the farm who grew each product. If you have the time or desire you are welcome to drive by any of those farms. Maybe they operate a road-side stand, and you can have a conversation with the farmer's family.

Nationwide the number of farms is shrinking. In this state farms are growing. Our regional Certifying Agency originated Certified Organic back in 1970. I know many organic farms who are making it work on less than 20 acres of land. Some on as little as 5 acres.

I am an organic farmer, and I am very active within our regional Organic Certifying agency. I feel they made a huge mistake 8 years ago when they linked themselves with the USDA 'national organics program'. At this stage, it is what it is. The USDA is controlled by big money corporations.

If you are interested in organic food, go look at your local grown food economy. Avoid the brand name, shipping across the nation corporate stuff.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:48 AM

50,169 posts, read 63,623,198 times
To me, organic just translates to, "got bugs and dirt in it."

I see nothing wrong with the beautiful abundant produce in the grocery store. I do not use convenience or packaged foods much, and stay away from sugar and white flour. I feel like we eat clean, and it is very possible to find foods on sale to save money.

I am picky about meat and fish, but produce, no.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:01 AM

25,788 posts, read 21,942,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
To me, organic just translates to, "got bugs and dirt in it."

I see nothing wrong with the beautiful abundant produce in the grocery store. I do not use convenience or packaged foods much, and stay away from sugar and white flour. I feel like we eat clean, and it is very possible to find foods on sale to save money.

I am picky about meat and fish, but produce, no.
This ^^^. Both my husband and myself are 62 and we have a son with DS who is 30 and still living at home and don't have issues.

Sadly, the soil, the water and the air the bigger enemies to our body. We do distill our drinking water.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:03 AM

13,032 posts, read 7,426,952 times
I don't like the neonicotoids being used as "organics". Very dangerous IMO.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:02 AM

509 posts, read 552,119 times
Trying to figure out how a thread telling people to buy more expensive food is in the frugal living forum?

Old 09-02-2016, 11:14 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,887,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
Old world saying is that good health comes thru the mouth, in oder words watch what you eat and eat healthy.
Saving on food and going shoping in those discount stores is worst thing you can do to your self and your health.

Never save on food quality, eat organic produce as much as possible, stay away from products in the bag, like chips and etc. Eath fresh vegetables, fruits, wild caught fish, ( stay away from farmed fish, eath organic veggies and fruits ), nuts, drink fresh juices, eath garlic, ginger, turmeric, cayenne pepper.

Save and live frugal on everything else if you want, but don't do it on food quality. Buy only quality food and stay away from proceseed foods if you want to avoid Cancer in the future.

Good Luck!!!
Can you guarantee I will be cancer free if I stay away from processed foods?

Old 09-02-2016, 11:50 AM

24,241 posts, read 10,546,480 times
I buy very little processed food - canned tomato products, cheese/butter, mustards, beer/wine. There is too much going on with organic, natural and who knows what for me to buy into it 100%. Every week there is a food recall or factory/farm closing in Europe, Whole Foods and similar chains have had their fair share of scandals. How often have I seen boxes from whole sale markets in the back of pick ups at farmers markets:>) There are some real ones. Some chains carry local produce. You have to make choices. Mine are hopefully a good mix of quality, quantity, budget and what SO is willing to eat.

Our local paper raved about the farmers market, the variety of merchandise and the crows of shoppers. Joke of the year! Six folding tables, Eggs at 5.50/12 were sold out at 9:00, one tiny bulb of garlic set SO back 3$, one pound of potatoes was only 2$ and they were watery. We tried:>)

I went to Aldi today. Read the fine print. The more often the word organic pops up on an ingredient list the better?

My father was very heavily into exercise, moderation, home grown or from personally known farmers, very little meat, know his brewer/vintner and where the olive oil came from. Big C got him.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:53 PM

37,328 posts, read 61,154,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
I don't like the neonicotoids being used as "organics". Very dangerous IMO.
You do understand that neonicotinoids are not allowed on Organic crops, right?

Old 09-02-2016, 02:06 PM

7,595 posts, read 8,648,791 times
I would say, eat what you can trust.

I can't be sure all the food in the supermarket's organic section is truly organic or not.
Quality food doesn't mean it costs more.
Processed food is not necessarily cheap.

Generally, minimize eating in restaurants because they are business for profit, they don't care if their food is not good for your health, and you can't tell what goes on in the kitchen (ingredients, handling).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.