U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-11-2016, 11:11 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
22,706 posts, read 21,750,727 times
Reputation: 27757

Advertisements

Speaking about food spoiling, once when my power went out and I finally lost everything after 4 1/2 days, I found out that it was covered by my insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-12-2016, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Cochise county, AZ
4,539 posts, read 3,006,146 times
Reputation: 9433
After I was laid off & then had a car accident & subsequently lost my house, I went to my brother's & exchanged being his housekeeper for room & board.

When I finally received a settlement for the accident I paid cash for a decent car & needed items & put the rest into investments. Now I receive Social security, live in n income based senior building & am learning to live on my monthly check. I have delved into savings twice but determined to leave it alone unless it's a need, not a want.

I've learned how to be frugal, although I have bought from thrift stores for years, when I was making more in two weeks than I receive in SS, I bought whatever I wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2016, 11:51 AM
 
365 posts, read 165,418 times
Reputation: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I am already on food stamps, I don't have kids, the rent for my place is subsidized, I don't work because I'm disabled, and I don't get enough money to live on to even file for taxes.
I'm not getting it. In your original article, you stated that you needed to buy shoes for the kids. And if you're disabled, why do you need a car?

You don't need to buy shampoo. People have been washing their hair with soap for thousands of years. It was only in the 30s and 40s that Madison Avenue managed to convince people to spend money buying special soap just for their hair.

You can fold over newspaper and line the bottom of your shoes, so you don't get a callous in a little circle in the sole of your foot.

If you live in subsidized housing, you have a sink. For Gawd's sake, wash your underwear out by hand.

Very few adults "need" to buy clothers. Especially if they are not working, and have a stable place to live. Don't use a clothes dryer, hang them up to drip-dry. Drape the sheets over two chairs, like kids do when they make a fort. Once or twice a year, the blankets have to be washed, or there's an accident, but those are exeptions. Not only do you save on the cost of drying, but clothes last decades instead of years.

You don't have a food bank where you live? You don't provide enough details. It's as if you aren't real. Each person's situation is different, and if you were really looking for advice, you would provide enough detail to explain why you have to keep the heat on all the time. If you can see your breath, then turn the heat on. Otherwise, just put on more clothes. Occassionally, in the middle of winter, I'll heat up the bathroom to 70 degrees, turn on all the lights and heat lamp and sit in there for hours reading a book. I'll do that maybe two or three times in the dead cold of winter, but I think it's healthier to get used to the cold than it is to live in stuffy, winter-time overheated apartments. If I lived in some place that got freezing cold for months at a time, I'd move.

As I said, each person's situation is different. Everyone I know who is on disability has an under-the-table way of making a little bit of extra money, even if it's just housecleaning and gardening for neighbors that can't afford to pay a professional $35/hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2016, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Austin
11,030 posts, read 6,212,441 times
Reputation: 11923
You have no children, subsidized rent, free insurance, a computer (obviously as posting), and live entirely on taxpayer funded entitlements.

You have a car??

Last edited by texan2yankee; 09-12-2016 at 12:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2016, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Boise, ID
8,011 posts, read 22,505,069 times
Reputation: 9213
While I appreciate the sense of humor, the fact that my tax dollars are paying your rent, your disability checks and your food bills makes me want to find a picture of YOU I can burn in a hex ceremony.

You obviously have computer skills. Your post was reasonably well written, with grammar and punctuation, not to mention correct spelled words. There are jobs you can do from home, even if you have a physical disability. Data entry, for example.

Once you get to a certain low level of income, there isn't anything else you can do except get a roommate or two, get rid of the car, OR get rid of the house and sleep in your car.

But even people like you usually find, if they really look seriously, they have a decent amount of "stuff" around the house that they didn't really need. And I'm not talking about the big things like a TV or a smart phone. I'm talking about all the knick knacks and just general stuff that is on the walls, shelves and in closets. Have a garage sale and then stop buying that sort of thing. And if you have a TV or a smart phone that you paid more than $25 for, you've spent money you couldn't afford already. Stop doing that, as well.

As for your idea list, I know some people sell plasma for extra cash, or sign up for paid drug trials, as often as they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2016, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Washington state
4,680 posts, read 2,299,411 times
Reputation: 13668
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Here is my advice, OP:
First get off the computer and chatting on the forums. You don't seem to be mentally disabled and you used to have a job. You quit because you didn't like it. You went on disability and food stamps. Now you have tons of time and no money.
Anyone here quit a job due to bullying?
Try to get back to work, be more compromising at work, or learn new skills, and start earning money. Feeling pity about your situation isn't going to make you rich.
Oh, I'm mentally disabled all right. I'm responding to this post, aren't I?


Disabled means...disabled...as in you notice I'm not chatting here 8 hours a day. Because I physically can't sit or stand for any length of time.

And oh, er, yes, I quit THAT job because I didn't like it. I've held a couple more since then before I became disabled. I have an entire biography (with timeline even) that I typed up and can be yours for the low, low price of $5 and a SASE.




Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr22 View Post
Well, rodentraiser, sell some of those rodents you are raising. Time is money, time on this forum, in this section anyway, makes exactly zero money. Google is your friend.
Good one! This is what we're looking for here, people! Creative ways to get rich.

(pssst - I haven't raised rodents for over 20 years and I can't have any where I currently live because we have enough wildlife in the basement from what I've been told).

Google and I had a fight and he took his toys and went home. We haven't kissed and made up yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
I'm not getting it. In your original article, you stated that you needed to buy shoes for the kids. And if you're disabled, why do you need a car?

You don't need to buy shampoo. People have been washing their hair with soap for thousands of years. It was only in the 30s and 40s that Madison Avenue managed to convince people to spend money buying special soap just for their hair.

You can fold over newspaper and line the bottom of your shoes, so you don't get a callous in a little circle in the sole of your foot.

If you live in subsidized housing, you have a sink. For Gawd's sake, wash your underwear out by hand.

Very few adults "need" to buy clothers. Especially if they are not working, and have a stable place to live. Don't use a clothes dryer, hang them up to drip-dry. Drape the sheets over two chairs, like kids do when they make a fort. Once or twice a year, the blankets have to be washed, or there's an accident, but those are exeptions. Not only do you save on the cost of drying, but clothes last decades instead of years.

You don't have a food bank where you live? You don't provide enough details. It's as if you aren't real. Each person's situation is different, and if you were really looking for advice, you would provide enough detail to explain why you have to keep the heat on all the time. If you can see your breath, then turn the heat on. Otherwise, just put on more clothes. Occassionally, in the middle of winter, I'll heat up the bathroom to 70 degrees, turn on all the lights and heat lamp and sit in there for hours reading a book. I'll do that maybe two or three times in the dead cold of winter, but I think it's healthier to get used to the cold than it is to live in stuffy, winter-time overheated apartments. If I lived in some place that got freezing cold for months at a time, I'd move.

As I said, each person's situation is different. Everyone I know who is on disability has an under-the-table way of making a little bit of extra money, even if it's just housecleaning and gardening for neighbors that can't afford to pay a professional $35/hour.
My post was satire. S-A-T-I-R-E.

But if you really want answers....I don't have kids.

Why do I need a car? Oh, for little things, like getting groceries and going to doctors' appointments, you know, really abnormal things like that.

Hey, I'm the one who turned the heat off at night (winter and winter not) so I could keep my electric bill below $60/month. I HATE the heat!

What are you anyway, Amish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
You have no children, subsidized rent, free insurance, a computer (obviously as posting), and live entirely on taxpayer funded entitlements.

You have a car??
My mom bought it for me. Ain't she a nice mom? The car is worth about $2000, is 11 years old and has over 120,000 miles on it.

Hey, don't forget, I was a taxpayer, too for over 3 decades (how many years have you worked for a living?)! My taxes helped pay for your mom's Social Security!

OH! By the way, I'm personally living on $200/month and food stamps. And believe you me, I'm open to trading for anyone else's lifestyle. Just drop me a PM and let's talk. You get the food stamps, the disability pay, the subsidized housing with shared bathroom, AND just for kicks, I'll throw in my 11 year old computer. But...ya gotta take the back problems, too. You know, the ones that don't let you sit or walk or stand without pain. Sorry 'bout that.

So what do you say? Do we have a deal?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
While I appreciate the sense of humor, the fact that my tax dollars are paying your rent, your disability checks and your food bills makes me want to find a picture of YOU I can burn in a hex ceremony.
Aw, I guess all the tax money I paid while I worked for 35 years didn't pay for anything. How DID Uncle Sam know I would be disabled some day and keep all my tax money from paying into social programs? ANSWER: He DIDN'T! I paid into those programs, too! Imagine that! In fact, some of my money probably paid into YOUR Social Security fund. Care to return that?

As to the hex, burn away. I'm all for people doing what makes them feel good.


Quote:


You obviously have computer skills. Your post was reasonably well written, with grammar and punctuation, not to mention correct spelled words. There are jobs you can do from home, even if you have a physical disability. Data entry, for example.

Once you get to a certain low level of income, there isn't anything else you can do except get a roommate or two, get rid of the car, OR get rid of the house and sleep in your car.

But even people like you usually find, if they really look seriously, they have a decent amount of "stuff" around the house that they didn't really need. And I'm not talking about the big things like a TV or a smart phone. I'm talking about all the knick knacks and just general stuff that is on the walls, shelves and in closets. Have a garage sale and then stop buying that sort of thing. And if you have a TV or a smart phone that you paid more than $25 for, you've spent money you couldn't afford already. Stop doing that, as well.

As for your idea list, I know some people sell plasma for extra cash, or sign up for paid drug trials, as often as they can.
Um, funny thing about subsidized housing for single rooms. They don't allow you to have roommates.

I have no TV. I spent $20 for my phone. That was shipping. The phone was free. Whew, just made it under the legally mandated amount allowed for a phone, didn't I? You don't know what a relief that is!

I suppose I could sell my cookware and cooking utensils that are hanging on the wall and just build a fire in the middle of the room and cook like that.....*thinking*


---------------------



See everyone - this whole thread is satire. It's based on what do you do when you've done everything people have told you to do (refer to the thread above) and you're still poor? I'm looking for your tongue-in-cheek creative solutions! Sell plasma? Why stop there? Why not go whole hog and sell a kidney? Or a newborn? Or even your body!

Please, I'm asking you to have fun with this thread. Relax - from some of the posts here, you guys ain't gonna live too much longer if you don't relax a little bit. This is the time to laugh at your situation - or at mine. If you don't have humor in this life, what do you have?

Last edited by rodentraiser; 09-12-2016 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: spelling, always spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2016, 08:35 PM
 
4,310 posts, read 2,448,126 times
Reputation: 2424
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Oh, I'm mentally disabled all right. I'm responding to this post, aren't I?


Disabled means...disabled...as in you notice I'm not chatting here 8 hours a day. Because I physically can't sit or stand for any length of time.

And oh, er, yes, I quit THAT job because I didn't like it. I've held a couple more since then before I became disabled. I have an entire biography (with timeline even) that I typed up and can be yours for the low, low price of $5 and a SASE.






Good one! This is what we're looking for here people! Creative ways to get rich.

(pssst - I haven't raised rodents for over 20 years and I can't have any where I currently live because we have enough wildlife in the basement from what I've been told).

Google and I had a fight and he took his toys and went home. We haven't kissed and made up yet.



My post was satire. S-A-T-I-R-E.

But if you really want answers....I don't have kids.

Why do I need a car? Oh, for little things, like getting groceries and going to doctors' appointments, you know, really abnormal things like that.

Hey, I'm the one who turned the heat off at night (winter and winter not) so I could keep my electric bill below $60/month. I HATE the heat!

What are you anyway, Amish?



My mom bought it for me. Ain't she a nice mom? The car is worth about $2000, is 11 years old and has over 120,000 miles on it.

Hey, don't forget, I was a taxpayer, too for over 3 decades (how any years have you worked for a living?)! My taxes helped pay for your mom's Social Security!

OH! By the way, I'm personally living on $200/month and food stamps. And believe you me, I'm open to trading for anyone else's lifestyle. Just drop me a PM and let's talk. You get the food stamps, the disability pay, the subsidized housing with shared bathroom, AND just for kicks, I'll throw in my 11 year old computer. But...ya gotta take the back problems, too. You know, the ones that don't let you sit or walk or stand without pain. Sorry 'bout that.

So what do you say? Do we have a deal?




Aw, I guess all the tax money I paid while I worked for 35 years didn't pay for anything. How DID Uncle Sam know I would be disabled some day and keep all my tax money from paying into social programs? ANSWER: He DIDN'T! I paid into those programs, too! Imagine that! In fact, some of my money probably paid into YOUR Social Security fund. Care to return that?

As to the hex, burn away. I'm all for people doing what makes them feel good.


Um, funny thing about subsidized housing for single rooms. They don't allow you to have roommates.

I have no TV. I spent $20 for my phone. That was shipping. The phone was free. Whew, just made it under the legally mandated amount allowed for a phone, didn't I? You don't know what a relief that is!

I suppose I could sell my cookware and cooking utensils that are hanging on the wall and just build a fire in the middle of the room and cook like that.....*thinking*


---------------------



See everyone - this whole thread is satire. It's based on what do you do when you've done everything people have told you to do (refer to the thread above) and you're still poor? I'm looking for your tongue-in-cheek creative solutions! Sell plasma? Why stop there? Why not go whole hog and sell a kidney? Or a newborn? Or even your body!

Please, I'm asking you to have fun with this thread. Relax - from some of the posts here, you guys ain't gonna live too much longer if you don't relax a little bit. This is the time to laugh at your situation - or at mine. If you don't have humor in this life, what do you have?
200 a month is pretty good for passive income. Not having to work anymore = retirement. You're basically living a comfortable, stress free life even if you don't drive a cadillac and drink a 100 dollar bottle of rum on the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2016, 08:45 PM
 
7,356 posts, read 4,427,372 times
Reputation: 8306
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
You've read all the articles about how to pinch pennies and how to make your money work for you and how you, too, can save a million dollars in 20 years just like this couple did (picture deleted because I burned it in a hex ceremony)!

So here you are. You've just paid the rent or the mortgage, the utilities, the car insurance, bought some gas (not enough to get you to work for the whole month) and some food (not enough to see you through the month), and you have $4 left in cash. And you need clothes, a haircut, shoes for the kids, etc, etc.

So come on now - let's get some suggestions on how to grow that money! Let's hear it for saving $2 a year and how much that will get you in 50 years! Do you turn off the heat at night even in winter to save on utility bills? Do you farm out your kids? Do you wear shoes with holes in them because the soles are still good? Do you wear pants until there's holes in the rear or shirts until they're deemed indecent by definition of city law? Did you go poo free because you can't afford shampoo?

Did you sign a DNR order with your spouse so he/she can't take extraordinary measures to save your life (like calling for an ambulance or taking you to the hospital)? Is one meal a day the norm for you? Do you consider popcorn and water to be a nutritious meal? Do you turn underwear inside out and reuse it (do NOT tell us about the dental floss in any way, shape, or form)? If you find a dollar, do you turn it in to the police because you're afraid someone has lost a valuable asset?

If you do any of the above (and more), you're qualified to tell us how to make our money work when we don't have any. GO FOR IT!
I have been where my money was so tight, an unplanned $2 expense was catastrophic. It is no fun. So I'm not unsympathetic, even though this may sound unsympathetic: the solution to a tight budget is to reduce expenses, or increase income, or some combination of both. It is simple, but it is not necessarily easy.

Also, if you absolutely need help from say a food bank or social services to have adequate food for yourself and your family, there is no shame in accepting that help. No one should be going without adequate food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2016, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Washington state
4,680 posts, read 2,299,411 times
Reputation: 13668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
200 a month is pretty good for passive income. Not having to work anymore = retirement. You're basically living a comfortable, stress free life even if you don't drive a cadillac and drink a 100 dollar bottle of rum on the beach.
Passive income - well, no, it has to pay all the bills. Stress free - meh. Comfortable - a degenerating disk ain't comfortable. I'll take the rum, though. Got any to spare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2016, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Oregon, formerly Texas
5,242 posts, read 3,395,295 times
Reputation: 8783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
There is only so much you can do by economizing. If you have cut everything to the bone and are still coming up short, you don't really have a spending problem (unless your fixed expenses like mortgage, car payments, etc. were too big for your income when they were incurred). You have an income problem. The only way you can solve a problem of insufficient income is by increasing your income.


No amount of advice or instruction or frugality is going to overcome a deficient income. You're going to have to do something yourself to fix that. Change jobs for a higher salary. Improve your skills to qualify for a raise or a higher-paying job with your current employer. Get some training in a different, higher-paying field. Move to an area with higher salaries or more opportunities. Something. What you do depends on what the underlying problem is. We don't know you, so we can't offer a diagnosis.


You will need to identify the roadblock that is preventing you from increasing your income, and you will have to take action to remove the roadblock. Financial advice columnists and random internet people cannot do any of that for you.
Pretty much this.

Any budget can be shaved by 10-15%. However, 10% of a lot of money is a lot, and 10% of little money is... well, a few bucks.

Economizing can save a lot, & over time it can add up. But there is a floor on which everything else rests, including savings. It varies for everyone what that floor is, but for me it's around $1500 a month (I base this on my current housing cost). I could survive on less, but it would not be pleasant & I could not save much. I was not able to save much until a) I made more than $2000 a month and b) paid my car off. I learned not to take on car payments again. Now I pay for cars outright or I can't afford them.

Sometimes you have to spend money to make money, and if you're in a rut, sometimes you DO have to take that risk, take out some student loans & get that new certification or degree & look for higher paying work. Or move. Or take some other kind of risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top