U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 09:11 PM

4,310 posts, read 2,449,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Passive income - well, no, it has to pay all the bills. Stress free - meh. Comfortable - a degenerating disk ain't comfortable. I'll take the rum, though. Got any to spare?
Better than having to work. Passive means you don't have to work for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 09:13 PM

4,680 posts, read 2,302,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Better than having to work. Passive means you don't have to work for it.
Wanna trade lives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Pretty much this.

Any budget can be shaved by 10-15%. However, 10% of a lot of money is a lot, and 10% of little money is... well, a few bucks.

Economizing can save a lot, & over time it can add up. But there is a floor on which everything else rests, including savings. It varies for everyone what that floor is, but for me it's around $1500 a month (I base this on my current housing cost). I could survive on less, but it would not be pleasant & I could not save much. I was not able to save much until a) I made more than $2000 a month and b) paid my car off. I learned not to take on car payments again. Now I pay for cars outright or I can't afford them.

Sometimes you have to spend money to make money, and if you're in a rut, sometimes you DO have to take that risk, take out some student loans & get that new certification or degree & look for higher paying work. Or move. Or take some other kind of risk.

Penny stocks, ya think?

Now that's funny.

I'm laughing at my situation. You guys should, too!

Old 09-12-2016, 09:21 PM

4,310 posts, read 2,449,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Wanna trade lives?

Penny stocks, ya think?

Now that's funny.

I'm laughing at my situation. You guys should, too!
Depends, do you live in the midwest where homes are 10 dollars?

Old 09-13-2016, 12:28 AM

33,582 posts, read 51,786,623 times
After working for 35 years you have no savings? 401K? Pension plan? Just food stamps, welfare, and a car from your mom?
Sure, blame others for bad money management!
If you didn't manage to get rich then, you surely won't get rich on government handouts. Try to find a part time job, teach private lessons, learn to use computer to make money (perhaps write blogs? share your wisdom with others?), walk dogs, watch kids, google, google, google...
One of my friends was a house sitter for three years while the owners worked overseas - she had free housing and got paid too. Found that on google...

Old 09-13-2016, 02:32 AM

3,012 posts, read 1,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I have been where my money was so tight, an unplanned $2 expense was catastrophic.
Yes! I remember walking into Dollar General with like $7 to spend on food to last us the whole week. I had careful plans...$1 loaf of "Clover Valley" bread, $2 jar of peanut butter, $1 jar of jelly, $2 for two 5-packs of ramen noodles....then, my husband was like, "I need deodorant."

When he said that, it made my heart drop..."Which deodorant will he choose? What will we put back? He always says the 'cheap kind' makes his underarms break out. I can't put back the jelly because he doesn't like sandwiches with just peanut butter...maybe I can talk him into the $1 deodorant...maybe I have enough change in my purse to cover the tax...I could put back one pack of ramen noodles, but that's five meals...damn, why can't he just use my deodorant for a few days so we can eat this week??"

Old 09-13-2016, 03:45 AM

33,046 posts, read 20,720,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You are poor becasue all of the ill will and envy that you are sending forth is returning to you tenfold and your hexes are rebounding upon you.

A couple that saves a million dollars in 20 years has done you no harm, nor have they withheld any money from your pocket. Envy has eaten away your own logic center which would tell you how to improve your own life if you put that effort in that direction instead of being eaten up with jealousy of anyone that does better than you do.

??? ??? When it comes to money, consumption, and value, don't people have a right to envy and jealousy? If that million dollar couple spends less to own their home than I pay to rent a room in an overcrowded house with drunks, druggies, dealers, sex offenders, girlfriend-beaters, and SSI recipients, what do you expect me to think? My envy is not of those who earn more, but of those who spend less than I while getting greater value, because it means I am getting poor value for my hard-earned dollars.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
After working for 35 years you have no savings? 401K? Pension plan? Just food stamps, welfare, and a car from your mom?
Sure, blame others for bad money management!

If you didn't manage to get rich then, you surely won't get rich on government handouts. Try to find a part time job, teach private lessons, learn to use computer to make money (perhaps write blogs? share your wisdom with others?), walk dogs, watch kids, google, google, google...
One of my friends was a house sitter for three years while the owners worked overseas - she had free housing and got paid too. Found that on google...

??? ??? If you never had a 401(k) or a pension plan, you probably never had a paycheck large enough for money management to make a meaningful difference. (Good money management won't make a minimum wage worker a millionaire.)

In my experience, there are a lot of gigs for which women are preferred to men; baby sitting and house sitting are two.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
You have no children, subsidized rent, free insurance, a computer (obviously as posting), and live entirely on taxpayer funded entitlements.

You have a car??

FWIW computers are cheap these days; my used laptop cost a whopping $50.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:14 AM

16,340 posts, read 6,093,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? ??? When it comes to money, consumption, and value, don't people have a right to envy and jealousy? .

NO.

We are all living the results of all the choices we have made, short of having some terrible physical calamity leaving us unable to care for ourselves.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:19 AM

16,340 posts, read 6,093,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Here is my advice, OP:
First get off the computer and chatting on the forums. You don't seem to be mentally disabled and you used to have a job. You quit because you didn't like it. You went on disability and food stamps. Now you have tons of time and no money.
Anyone here quit a job due to bullying?
Try to get back to work, be more compromising at work, or learn new skills, and start earning money. Feeling pity about your situation isn't going to make you rich.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or