U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 05:10 AM

64,674 posts, read 66,158,228 times

Advertisements

Many times being involved with those others were the result of poor choices in our life or the poor choice of accepting responsibility of a situation we should not have.

Sure ,there are exceptions ,i get that . But i would say in 95% of all the financial failures it was the result of a history of poor decisions and bad choices
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 05:14 AM

1,024 posts, read 407,609 times
Clothes and shoes can be very cheap if you don't mind they are used.

Is there a swap meet in the city you live? I used to sell my kids' wears and buy some for them in swap meet. Each piece can be as cheap as $1 or $2.

And go to the school fair on the last day. Many parents donate their apparel to school and some look like brand new. On the ending hours of the last day, you can grab as much as you want to fill in a shopping bag at $5 flat.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:06 AM

22,717 posts, read 21,770,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
See, now I have less sympathy. Degenerating disks happen with age. Happens to most people as they get older. WebMD says "Degenerative disc disease is not really a disease but a term used to describe the normal changes in your spinal discs as you age."

I also have a disk problem, except mine has actually ruptured and is putting pressure on a nerve cluster. Two of my toes tingle all the time, and my appointment with a neurosurgeon just got rescheduled for the 2nd time out into October. I was in the ER for crippling, debilitating pains going down my left leg 3 separate times within 3 days in June. I wasn't eating anything due to the pain, lost 10 pounds in a week while laying in bed, and ended up with a severe potassium deficiency, which caused really bad cramping on top of the other pain. I've spent over $1500 this year on my out of pocket portion of physical therapy.

I have to do most of my work standing now, because I can't sit for long periods of time. And yet, I worked over 50 hours last week, and I average around 35-40 hours a week overall. I could very likely get on the disabled government dole, but I can work, as long as I make a few adjustments, so I do that.
Get back to us when you have 4 or 5 other things going on simultaneously. I have GERD which isn't really being controlled by the medication, Meniere's disease--which means I'm going deaf and fall and hurt myself sometimes. Been to the ER 3 times in the last 6 years for that. Hearing aids are expensive. Because of the Raynaud's, I have to be careful about my hands and feet. Sluggish thyroid, so I get cold when it drops below 75. The doctors never seem to think that it's low enough to treat. I'm tired all of the time. Really tired. I'm clinically depressed. I wonder why? The doc's don't want to medicate my anxiety disorder because I'm depressed. All of this has caused me to become a bit agoraphobic. I don't know when I'm going to vomit, get dizzy for an hour, have a bowel problem, or become so fatigued that I can barely move.

I'm not on disability. Everyone seems to think that they can fix me. I am currently living off of my husband's life insurance policy. That's not going to last.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:34 AM

29,730 posts, read 47,507,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? ??? If you never had a 401(k) or a pension plan, you probably never had a paycheck large enough for money management to make a meaningful difference. (Good money management won't make a minimum wage worker a millionaire.)
Those who master handling the small things, carry those skills with them as they move on to handle the big things.

Regardless of the size of a paycheck reducing taxes and expenses gives you more to invest with.

I started taking budgeting and tax-preparation courses when I had a small paycheck. That allowed me to begin investing.

Managing your money always counts. It always makes a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
When you make decisions live with them or do something about them. Whining has yet to change anything.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Except in reality, good will is very high in prices, for items that are often worn out and broken. It is by far a better deal to shop clearance racks at Kohls for clothing, than go to Good will.
Yes and no.

We live in a low COL area with a long-term depressed economy. Our Good Will / Salvation Army outlets have junk.

My in-laws live near DC. Their Good Will / Salvation Army outlets have really nice higher quality stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
What part of disabled don't you understand?
I missed it, are you on SSDI?

Quote:
... So let's do this - we'll start over. Obviously, if you have more money than you need, you aren't able to see the humor in not having any. So all those making more than $25,000 a year, you people are readers only. Anyone making $25,000 a year or under, go ahead - post here and give me your HUMOROUS methods of how we can save money.
My pension is far less than $25k/year, fortunately when I retired we moved to a low COL area, so our level of income fits right in with the average household income in this town.

Humor is what you are asking for, hmm, gotta think about that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Are you in a state where you return other people's plastic bottles for money? Not a fast way to make extra money, but if $4 matters, it's something.
One of our neighbors gathers bottles and cans from alongside the road, he peddles an adult tricycle. I am pretty sure that is his primary source of income.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:21 AM

22,717 posts, read 21,770,674 times
I can knit, sew, pretty rusty there, and bake rather well. I can't find an outlet for the baking. Everyone wants a licence and a commercial kitchen. I'm not going to bake that much, so it's not worth it.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:24 PM

13,436 posts, read 24,216,791 times
If I was in your position I would think outside the box. You can't get a real job because you would lose your benefits and no real job you could get would pay enough to give you back what you lost. I would work on becoming the neighborhood's go to guy. The person you would call if something needed fixing, yardwork, groceries, babysitting, whatever. I would work for cheap and do a better job than they expected.

There are a ton of older people in your area who need help with something! And it's not just the older people, lots of young families have more on the to do list than they can ever accomplish! Find the opportunities in your community and do what needs to be done!

Old 09-16-2016, 04:05 PM

4,680 posts, read 2,303,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

I missed it, are you on SSDI?
I'm on state disability. My 2nd hearing for federal disability is this November. I filed in October of 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
If I was in your position I would think outside the box. You can't get a real job because you would lose your benefits and no real job you could get would pay enough to give you back what you lost. I would work on becoming the neighborhood's go to guy. The person you would call if something needed fixing, yardwork, groceries, babysitting, whatever. I would work for cheap and do a better job than they expected.

There are a ton of older people in your area who need help with something! And it's not just the older people, lots of young families have more on the to do list than they can ever accomplish! Find the opportunities in your community and do what needs to be done!
First off, was this directed at me? Second, I'm not a guy, I'm a she. Third, my disability doesn't allow me to walk even a block, stand for more than 10 minutes, or sit for more than 30 minutes without being in extreme pain. Besides, I don't really know how to fix anything and I don't like kids.

This thread isn't about me and my problems, though. And it's not a serious thread. I would like to see people having fun with this thread and suggesting HUMOROUS ways to make more money. Now, Yellowsnow, if you had suggested offering to babysit kids, kidnapping them, and holding them for ransom to get money, I would consider that to be a non-serious, humorous way to make a buck. Non-serious because no one would ever do it, and HUMOROUS because it's so out of the box ridiculous it's funny!

Old 09-16-2016, 04:14 PM

4,310 posts, read 2,450,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
No, it's not good unless you're sitting on a pile of cash and investments.
2400 in the 1950s bought you a middle class life and it probably still can in other countries, I wouldn't complain.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:45 PM

641 posts, read 572,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
This thread isn't about me and my problems, though. And it's not a serious thread. I would like to see people having fun with this thread and suggesting HUMOROUS ways to make more money.
Beyond a few snarky comments, my own among them, just do not think most folks looking for ideas and tips on being frugal are thinking 'hey lets have some fun with this'. Maybe this is some attempt at encouraging a lighthearted attitude while being broke.

It is a bit 'let them eat cake', insensitive, rude, etc, etc., mostly due to OP being a tad passive-aggressive in insisting this thread is all in good fun. Yeah, hilarious.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:40 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,814,974 times
Off the wall fun?

How about offering to be an obese or geriatric nude model for an art class?

Go fishing and sell your catch or don't and save the money you would spend on purchasing food.

Stand on a street corner and beg for money. Wear an outfit/costume that makes you really stand out. Offer compliments or sarcasm or bad advice for their donation.

How about you paint Picasso's of people for a few bucks each?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or