U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 11:26 PM

5,245 posts, read 3,406,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I'm on state disability. My 2nd hearing for federal disability is this November. I filed in October of 2012.

First off, was this directed at me? Second, I'm not a guy, I'm a she. Third, my disability doesn't allow me to walk even a block, stand for more than 10 minutes, or sit for more than 30 minutes without being in extreme pain. Besides, I don't really know how to fix anything and I don't like kids.

This thread isn't about me and my problems, though. And it's not a serious thread. I would like to see people having fun with this thread and suggesting HUMOROUS ways to make more money. Now, Yellowsnow, if you had suggested offering to babysit kids, kidnapping them, and holding them for ransom to get money, I would consider that to be a non-serious, humorous way to make a buck. Non-serious because no one would ever do it, and HUMOROUS because it's so out of the box ridiculous it's funny!
If you could find some way to monetize the self righteous and over-opinionated hive-mind of the internet, you'd be a Billionaire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 02:15 PM

471 posts, read 227,613 times
Write a book on money management. Call it " 50 Shades of Green".

Look for potatoes shaped like ,"the Donald". Sell on eBay.

Set up a kissing booth. 5 bucks a smooch.

Old 09-17-2016, 03:42 PM

33,046 posts, read 20,751,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
2400 in the 1950s bought you a middle class life and it probably still can in other countries, I wouldn't complain.

Two hours of pushin' broom
Buys an eight-by-twelve four-bit room

Old 09-17-2016, 03:46 PM

33,046 posts, read 20,751,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
-----------------

This thread is really off topic - not that I care. But I am concerned that no one is having any fun. So let's do this - we'll start over. Obviously, if you have more money than you need, you aren't able to see the humor in not having any. So all those making more than $25,000 a year, you people are readers only. Anyone making $25,000 a year or under, go ahead - post here and give me your HUMOROUS methods of how we can save money.

Do you pick up stray pennies for a year and then use them as a down payment for a bike? Hit the landlord over the head and bury him in the backyard to use as fertilizer for the vegetables? Throw chlorine in the bathtub and pretend it's a pool?

Am I the only one with a sense of humor here? Well, except for City-living.

For those who are best at it, arm wrestling can be a humerus way to make money.

Old 09-17-2016, 08:53 PM

24,760 posts, read 26,839,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? ??? When it comes to money, consumption, and value, don't people have a right to envy and jealousy? If that million dollar couple spends less to own their home than I pay to rent a room in an overcrowded house with drunks, druggies, dealers, sex offenders, girlfriend-beaters, and SSI recipients, what do you expect me to think? My envy is not of those who earn more, but of those who spend less than I while getting greater value, because it means I am getting poor value for my hard-earned dollars.
You can be envious all you want. Just don't expect it to improve your situation. As far as being around abusive people, I'd suggest on a subconscious level, that is your comfort zone because you had alcoholic parents. Only you can change that pattern...and envy isn't going to do it.

Old 09-17-2016, 08:57 PM

24,760 posts, read 26,839,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Except in reality, good will is very high in prices, for items that are often worn out and broken. It is by far a better deal to shop clearance racks at Kohls for clothing, than go to Good will.
I think the quality of merchandise at Good Will really depends on where you go. Some near affluent areas are said to have nice stuff. I am not a thrift store shopper, but that is what others have told me.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:31 PM

5,245 posts, read 3,406,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I think the quality of merchandise at Good Will really depends on where you go. Some near affluent areas are said to have nice stuff. I am not a thrift store shopper, but that is what others have told me.
It's definitely true. I have access to two Goodwills - one in a working class town and one in a more affluent town. The difference is considerable.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:43 AM

3,012 posts, read 1,818,349 times
Even when I was really really broke, I never could find anything at the Salvation Army or Goodwill. The clothes were always really worn-out...even though it seemed both organizations tried to pull out clothing with stains and such, a lot of the shirts had a lot of pilling and had shrunk to a point where they did not fit properly...often, the shirts were "short and wide," whereas I'm "semi-tall and lean." Plus, they were never that cheap...shirts at Salvation Army/Goodwill are generally $2-4.

I did and still prefer to buy clothes from Walmart. Just last night, I went to Walmart to pick up a few items. I grabbed several camis for $1.68 a piece. I grabbed several because I picked up a few before and found that they fit PERFECTLY in comparison to camis that I purchased from other stores for $9.99, $12.99, $14.99, etc. These came in multiple colors, were cheap, are long and fit snugly but aren't too tight.

Additionally, I found scoop-neck T-shirts on sale for $2. The table was really picked over size-wise, but I picked up a white one and a black one. They fit great.

I'm not saying Walmart is the mecca for all clothing, but for someone on a tight budget, I do think it's a better deal than the thrift stores. That's the case around here, anyway...

In fact, I still like buying basic camis and T-shirts there (as is clear from my post.) I don't expect them to last forever because I'll more than likely spill something on them or something like that before they wear out.

Old 09-18-2016, 04:50 AM

64,805 posts, read 66,270,542 times
i wanted to photograph models in the nude but they kept telling me to put my clothes back on

Old 09-19-2016, 12:51 PM

4,697 posts, read 2,312,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
It's definitely true. I have access to two Goodwills - one in a working class town and one in a more affluent town. The difference is considerable.
You should see the difference in the food banks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr22 View Post
Beyond a few snarky comments, my own among them, just do not think most folks looking for ideas and tips on being frugal are thinking 'hey lets have some fun with this'. Maybe this is some attempt at encouraging a lighthearted attitude while being broke.

It is a bit 'let them eat cake', insensitive, rude, etc, etc., mostly due to OP being a tad passive-aggressive in insisting this thread is all in good fun. Yeah, hilarious.
That's exactly what it is.

If you can't take a minute and laugh at yourself and your situation, you're gonna get way old before your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Off the wall fun?

How about offering to be an obese or geriatric nude model for an art class?

Go fishing and sell your catch or don't and save the money you would spend on purchasing food.

Stand on a street corner and beg for money. Wear an outfit/costume that makes you really stand out. Offer compliments or sarcasm or bad advice for their donation.

How about you paint Picasso's of people for a few bucks each?
DING DING DING!

WE HAVE A WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingercoyote View Post
Write a book on money management. Call it " 50 Shades of Green".

Look for potatoes shaped like ,"the Donald". Sell on eBay.

Set up a kissing booth. 5 bucks a smooch.
ANOTHER WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i wanted to photograph models in the nude but they kept telling me to put my clothes back on
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
For those who are best at it, arm wrestling can be a humerus way to make money.
Not what I was looking for, but yeah, I'll admit, these were funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or