Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 04:48 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,337,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
NO.

We are all living the results of all the choices we have made, short of having some terrible physical calamity leaving us unable to care for ourselves.

People who work for a living don't have a right to envy those who enjoy a higher standard of living by exploiting others without working?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 06:07 AM

24,067 posts, read 10,396,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
People who work for a living don't have a right to envy those who enjoy a higher standard of living by exploiting others without working?
When you make decisions live with them or do something about them. Whining has yet to change anything.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:06 AM

32,523 posts, read 47,566,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
......... I am already on food stamps, I don't have kids, the rent for my place is subsidized, ........
Let me see if I am getting this straight: the government pays for your food, your lodging, all of your medical, and you have a free Obama phone. You have enough money to maintain an older car and a computer that is hooked to the internet.

So your complaint is that the government does not give you enough money so you can also have a nice large savings account?

Old 09-13-2016, 08:48 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,385,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Passive income - well, no, it has to pay all the bills. Stress free - meh. Comfortable - a degenerating disk ain't comfortable. I'll take the rum, though. Got any to spare?
See, now I have less sympathy. Degenerating disks happen with age. Happens to most people as they get older. WebMD says "Degenerative disc disease is not really a disease but a term used to describe the normal changes in your spinal discs as you age."

I also have a disk problem, except mine has actually ruptured and is putting pressure on a nerve cluster. Two of my toes tingle all the time, and my appointment with a neurosurgeon just got rescheduled for the 2nd time out into October. I was in the ER for crippling, debilitating pains going down my left leg 3 separate times within 3 days in June. I wasn't eating anything due to the pain, lost 10 pounds in a week while laying in bed, and ended up with a severe potassium deficiency, which caused really bad cramping on top of the other pain. I've spent over $1500 this year on my out of pocket portion of physical therapy.

I have to do most of my work standing now, because I can't sit for long periods of time. And yet, I worked over 50 hours last week, and I average around 35-40 hours a week overall. I could very likely get on the disabled government dole, but I can work, as long as I make a few adjustments, so I do that.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:28 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,008,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
I am now comfortably retired and one way to save tons of money is to stop going to the mall to buy clothes, shoes, and household items.....I have great treasures in my house all bought from my local Goodwill, Salvation Army & yard sales. Think OUTSIDE the box and don't do what everyone else does.
Except in reality, good will is very high in prices, for items that are often worn out and broken. It is by far a better deal to shop clearance racks at Kohls for clothing, than go to Good will.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:35 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,008,502 times
I am an extremely tight person. I literally hate spending money. We attended a charity bingo Saturday night, and my family was making fun of me being so tight, that I didn't want to let go of the $40 ticket money in my hand.

I am not broke because of spending. Money is tight for me because I need more income. Unfortunately I have been unable to increase it through a 40 hour a week position.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:06 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,337,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
When you make decisions live with them or do something about them. Whining has yet to change anything.

I decided to work instead of living off of others. Guess that was the wrong decision?

Old 09-13-2016, 12:32 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,621,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Except in reality, good will is very high in prices, for items that are often worn out and broken. It is by far a better deal to shop clearance racks at Kohls for clothing, than go to Good will.

I Agree. I was browsing GW and looked at ladies blouses and they were all priced $4.29. I can get
a brand new blouse for $4.99 to 5.99 elsewhere. GW used to have good prices but not anymore.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:35 PM

10,019 posts, read 7,161,256 times
I don't like to judge people's situations from a few statements online or from 2nd or 3rd-hand stories. We don't know the full nature of their situation.

My dad was one of the hardest working people I've even known. He was in agriculture, so he worked from 7 in the morning to 7 at night, doing a combination of hard physical work & also complex management tasks. He was a big, strong working man, I mean a hulk of a man, 6'6" and huge. He was also highly educated... went to a good college and had a master's degree. He came down with a number of health issues, most notably lymphoma, and within a relatively short time became a frail shadow of his former self, both physically & mentally. He became eligible for a number of government benefits in the process & aftermath of losing everything, & died with very little. It was tragic to watch.

What I learned from watching it is that being sick and/or disabled not only affects you physically. It messes with you emotionally & mentally. All the logic & well-reasoned plans of action we propose on here don't always impact a sick person. They're not always thinking straight like a healthy person.

None of you walked in his shoes. Even I didn't know the full extent of what he went through. No one did. I stopped judging people after that experience. When I was younger I used to second-guess & criticize his decisions because I thought I knew it all, like many of you here are doing to the OP. We don't know the full story and it's hard to say if any of you or I would make better decisions given others' circumstances.

I also stopped complaining about various government benefits. Obviously like everyone I don't support fraud or cheating. But a lot of people actually do need that stuff, and it's not like they live like kings on it.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:28 PM

33,804 posts, read 16,816,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

Others work harder, and when they make more, no one is getting exploited.

To improve you lot in life, you need to start with more W2 payroll hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living