U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 11:37 AM

1,809 posts, read 2,140,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I use Awesome from the 99centsOnlyStore and it is great! If something is badly stained, I pretreat with a couple drops of Dawn and then wash as usual.

Mine carries Purex which is about $3 for a giant box that lasts me 7-8 months (single person here). Same as above -- if something is really stained, just rub some Dawn on it and/or hydrogen peroxide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 12:17 PM

13,432 posts, read 24,204,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I like the Totally Awesome Stain Remover. It is probably the best stain remover that I have used. That is 24 oz for only $1 which is less than half of what you will pay for Spray and Wash.

I am less impressed by the Totally Awesome Laundry Detergent.
I went and read the bottle last night and I think my cleaning spray IS also the spot remover. If it's the same stuff, it's wonderful and has many uses. I was using it to clean the stove! It's yellow and in a spray bottle!

Old 09-19-2016, 12:19 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
Quote:
I went and read the bottle last night and I think my cleaning spray IS also the spot remover. If it's the same stuff, it's wonderful and has many uses. I was using it to clean the stove! It's yellow and in a spray bottle!
That stuff is really good for getting marker spots out of couches and for treating stubborn stains in carpets.

I've never used it on laundry though, I might have to try that next time the hubby dumps chili down the front of his shirt.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:40 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,810,469 times
Quote:
I like that, too. It's a degreaser type cleaner that works better than Greased Lightning and is great for all-purpose cleaning. I think this is what you are talking about:

https://www.dollartree.com/20-oz-Tot...8056/index.pro

I don't know about the others, but that's not the stain remover I have, though. It is the same brand, but it's actually made specifically for laundry.

https://www.dollartree.com/32-Oz-Awe...5414/index.pro

Another good product that I have used in the past but haven't picked up recently is the Dollar Tree "Oxi-Clean." I added a scoop to each load of laundry and could see a difference. As a matter of fact, this is the first time I've thought about it in a while. I'll have to pick some up.

https://www.dollartree.com/household...?method=search

Old 09-20-2016, 01:22 AM

3,199 posts, read 10,961,982 times
Don't buy Tide it's terrible for your machine. The trick is, just use what's recommended or even slightly less. Too much soap in washers and dishwashers is the cause of most repairs.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:25 AM

473 posts, read 283,583 times
Have just been buying the grocery store loss leaders like All detergent for $2.50/60 oz. Can pair with coupons if possible.

The $1 store laundry soap is as runny as water now. Check it out before you buy it. Formerly, was no difference in $1 store and national brand laundry soaps but has cheaped out so bad now, I just shop coupons/sales.

Biggest difference was cold water wash and hang dry for women's clothing. Materials are very cheap and shrink easily.

Same overly cheap problem with dishwashing soaps. Is just colored water..Just do sales/coupons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living