U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 11:25 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,008,637 times

Advertisements

I live in a rural area, we don't have a public library that we can use, no video store, no movie theater etc. We have no cell signal at home none of the carriers have a signal until I'm about 10 miles from home. We get harsh winters with below zero temps and lots of snow. We pay $210 a month for cable with a movie package, high speed internet, home phone (we also pay a fee for rural 911 service), Hulu and Netflix. It's worth every penny of it. I don't watch much TV but hubby and the kids enjoy it. We all use the internet and I like Netflix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 11:37 AM

409 posts, read 287,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I pay about $90/month for cable that I barely even watch because it comes with the internet package. If I drop cable, the internet bill goes up. Also, without cable I would get about two channels. I need internet and there is only one company in town so there is no choice.

Frugal would be the ability to get cheap internet without being required to bundle tv with it.
Paying 90 bucks for tv + cable is just crazy, but then I'm pretty frugal. I live out in the sticks and can pick up 21 free channels on my antenna. I have wireless NetZero for internet for $14.99 / month that I can take anywhere I travel to. Everyone I have turned onto with NetZero has never looked back.

Like I said, some people just have too much money. This is the frugal living page.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:26 PM

3,013 posts, read 1,823,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
Paying 90 bucks for tv + cable is just crazy, but then I'm pretty frugal. I live out in the sticks and can pick up 21 free channels on my antenna. I have wireless NetZero for internet for $14.99 / month that I can take anywhere I travel to. Everyone I have turned onto with NetZero has never looked back.

Like I said, some people just have too much money. This is the frugal living page.
I don't really think that's fair. It always pays to be frugal, no matter how much or how little money you have.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:39 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,824,909 times
Quote:
I live out in the sticks and can pick up 21 free channels on my antenna.
You should consider yourself fortunate instead of ragging on those who do not have 21 free channels.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:51 PM

18,105 posts, read 17,234,713 times
Quote:

That's just it! I can't afford $90 a month for internet. And I do not even want tv. I think I've looked into NewZero but will have to give it another look because all I want is internet but it would cost even more if I didn't bundle it with the "economy" cable package. Yeh, I hate Comcast.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:56 PM

5,245 posts, read 3,413,163 times
If it keeps you from spending more money it's okay. I used to spend $30-40 at a sports bar watching one game.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:05 PM

18,105 posts, read 17,234,713 times
Platinum: This top mobile plan will give you 4GB of data per month. But it does so for a whopping $49.95, which is really too much to include on a site about “cheap Internet,” but it’s here for the sake of thoroughly covering all the offerings.

NetZero 4G Mobile Broadband

I checked. Net Zero is available here. You buy a hotspot but I'm not sure if you get enough usage for two people for a month. My husband loves to watch videos and they would use up a lot of data. I sell on ebay and I volunteer as a mod on CD so that uses up a lot too.

Something called FreedomPop too if anyone is interested. It's in that article.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:08 PM

29,753 posts, read 47,585,597 times
For OTA TV channels we can receive one station.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:49 PM

409 posts, read 287,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
For OTA TV channels we can receive one station.
You might need to try a different antenna. My parents live in the Carrabassett Valley, Maine and can pick up over a dozen. They use a Clearstream with an amplifier. It is only supposed to be good for a 100 miles but they can pick up Portland.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:47 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,008,637 times
Quote:

Just because people choose to spend their money differently then you do doesn't mean they have to much money, I'm sure that you spend money on something that others would consider foolish. Everyone has different situations. Myself the 200 a month is well worth it for us to spend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or