U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 07:51 PM

29,738 posts, read 47,532,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
You might need to try a different antenna. My parents live in the Carrabassett Valley, Maine and can pick up over a dozen. They use a Clearstream with an amplifier. It is only supposed to be good for a 100 miles but they can pick up Portland.
When the FCC first outlawed high power analog in favor of low-power digital, we did that.

It seems the swamps around us zap the signal strength from broadcasts.

We bought the best antenna Radio Shack had, with a signal amp, and mounted it on a 40' pole, with a rotor. Most families in our town did the same. Some shifted to satellite dishes, some gave up.

With the old high-power signals, we used to be able to get 3 channels. In three directions. On most days we could get one strong channel and one weak channel. But sometimes we could pick up a third channel. They were all in different directions though.

Now with the low power digital shyte it all went to hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 09:56 PM

4,514 posts, read 8,605,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
The argument is that the sports fan is never going to be happy watching Netflix, and most people would find just Netflix a limiting viewing experience.
I wish that the Houston Rockets and the Houston Astros would go back to Channel 20. But there is always the radio (especially if you listen to the simulcast on the FM-HD subchannel!!!). NFL games are still largely on broadcast TV. But all the other major sports (baseball, basketball, hockey, soccer) can't resist the money being offered by regional/national cable sports channels. A few years ago, I watched the Spurs on Channel 5 one night. I couldn't believe that there is an NBA team on broadcast TV, especially interrupting primetime network TV (in this case CBS programming in San Antonio)! San Antonio is lucky: largest city in Texas with no toll roads and NBA games over-the-air.

Ever heard of Redbox? I like to rent Blu-ray discs once in a while. Too bad libraries are still stuck on DVDs!!!

Old 09-21-2016, 10:48 PM

2,462 posts, read 1,206,832 times
I think i may go the hulu/netflix route and cut the chord. But during the NBA season, I'll probably get playstation vue until the season ends. I love my NBA.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:05 AM

9,084 posts, read 9,241,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I think you're right. We have tried having the bare minimum at home....sometimes out of necessity and sometimes because we were trying to keep to a certain budget. Since it has been an option for us, yes, ensuring that we have quality entertainment and foods and drinks that we prefer at home is cheaper than "skimping" on these things and then going elsewhere to get them.
One often hears the term "false economy". When I worked for the Navy a clerk made a $500 phone call to me in the middle of the ocean to tell me that he was disallowing $10 on my expense report because he felt I should've parked in long term parking at the airport.

So a cable service where the technician shows up to your home in an electric BMW is not normally considered "frugal". But if you are less stressed by your home entertainment system, and your friends actually want to come to your home to watch 4K movies instead of going to a club, it is a type of frugality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
As for the Layer 3 TV...it's pretty interesting. Our $150/mo cable/internet/phone package does not include DVR. It's pretty rare that we miss it, but every now and then, we do wish that we had it. It's definitely something to look into, right? I just wonder how much my internet bill would be without the bundled package so that I could qualify for this.

Also, since internet is required for the service, I wonder if it would slow down internet service for other things?
Well, I wouldn't want to be one of the initial users. The signal is being carried from city to city on it's own trunk lines, and only distributed to your home via local internet. I doubt that speed will be much of an issue, but if you have data caps, I would be wary.

I doubt this business model will ever become a major company. They talk about getting 1%, so they are trying to stay under the radar.

But Aereo was never that big of a company either, and the cable companies pursued them to the Supreme Court. Sometimes the industry is worried about precedent.

Companies have been talking about DVR service in the cloud for about 20 years now, and nobody has actually done it since they are worried about the lawsuits.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:43 PM

1,652 posts, read 1,890,829 times
I haven't paid for cable TV in over 6 years. I have a $10/mo Netflix subscription and use the free library that's 4 miles away from my house (and has both BluRay as well as regular DVD's) and haven't looked back. If there is a football or basketball game that I REALLY want to watch I go to the local sports bar or friend's house. I can't say I miss having regular TV and my productivity has skyrocketed.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:13 AM

3,214 posts, read 1,492,540 times
I have cable tv because my 70 year old husband wants it.

I find TV a huge (HUGE) invasion into my life. There are some shows I like, but I can always watch them on-line.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:42 AM

11,428 posts, read 13,981,162 times
I was paying about $90 a month for a cable package through AT&T U Verse, when I realized that most of the channels were junk. I've downsized to just the basic local channels (no TV reception in our area) and bought a Roku 3 box. Best thing I've done!

Old 09-23-2016, 03:06 PM

9,084 posts, read 9,241,936 times
I realize most people regard TV cable as a cost that has grown out of proportion to the benefit. It has certainly grown much faster than inflation.

Maybe Layer3 tv, where the technician shows up at your home in an electric BMW, is a stretch to post under frugal living.

I just wanted to start a thread for people who think that good home entertainment, regardless of cost, keeps them at home and prevents them from spending money going out. I find that I watch too much junk on Netflix.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 09-23-2016 at 03:15 PM..

Old 09-23-2016, 11:46 PM

2,462 posts, read 1,206,832 times
I realized that most of my shows I can find on their websites, on local tv, hulu or netflix, or illegal download.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:31 AM

13,714 posts, read 22,852,078 times
I sometimes wonder if the real savings to not having cable extends far beyond the monthly charges that you send into the the cable or satellite company.

First, when you eliminate television from your life, you cut off about 80% of the advertising that you otherwise would be bombarded with on a daily basis. I no longer feel the push to go out shopping or to find the next flavor or variant of Oreo cookies.

Second, by watching little of the content, I do not have any visual cues that my simple lifestyle is somehow less than adequate. All I have to do is turn on the television at a hotel and if my wife sees HGTV, she wants granite countertops, stainless steel sinks, and new appliances.

By eliminating cable, I feel that I am saving a lot more than $70 per month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or