U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 12:15 PM

3,556 posts, read 2,321,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
You're paying for your local Library through your taxes. It should have a good collection of DVD's with new releases coming out monthly. Sure, using an antenna will get you free TV, and you can compliment it with a simple DVD player.
720x480 is no way to live
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 12:31 AM

13,116 posts, read 9,202,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
720x480 is no way to live
Sometimes all you can do is 640480i, like old VCR tapes.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:35 AM

7,129 posts, read 5,944,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
It always blows me away when I hear people actually paying to watch TV. Kind of a sign that they either have too much money, or nothing else to do. Everyone I know went back to antenna TV.
I haven't had cable for years but dish's new flex pack may lure me back... I don't watch sports but am into stock investing so if Fox Business channel or CNBC can give me enough insights to make an extra $500 a year in stock investing the dish will have paid for itself. It will be gratifying not having to pay for sports channels and subsidize people's sports addiction. hahaha.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:24 AM

2,461 posts, read 1,200,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I haven't had cable for years but dish's new flex pack may lure me back... I don't watch sports but am into stock investing so if Fox Business channel or CNBC can give me enough insights to make an extra $500 a year in stock investing the dish will have paid for itself. It will be gratifying not having to pay for sports channels and subsidize people's sports addiction. hahaha.

Have you tried sling tv or playstation vue. I know that dish's flex pack starts around $39.99 PLUS fees and taxes, and both of my suggestions are considerably less. The only drawback to my suggestions that you need a streaming player like chrome stick, roku, ps3/4 xbox 1, etc....to view them.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:17 PM

9,064 posts, read 9,217,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
The only drawback to my suggestions that you need a streaming player like chrome stick, roku, ps3/4 xbox 1, etc....to view them.
Roku Express that just came out last week is only $30 if you have HDMI on your TV or $40 if you use RCA jacks. You can spend as much as $130 for a much fancier Roku that will support 4K definition. Chromecast is only $35 and will probably come out with an updated version before Christmas.

Old 12-08-2016, 03:42 AM

8,853 posts, read 4,823,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I sometimes wonder if the real savings to not having cable extends far beyond the monthly charges that you send into the the cable or satellite company.

First, when you eliminate television from your life, you cut off about 80% of the advertising that you otherwise would be bombarded with on a daily basis. I no longer feel the push to go out shopping or to find the next flavor or variant of Oreo cookies.

Second, by watching little of the content, I do not have any visual cues that my simple lifestyle is somehow less than adequate. All I have to do is turn on the television at a hotel and if my wife sees HGTV, she wants granite countertops, stainless steel sinks, and new appliances.

By eliminating cable, I feel that I am saving a lot more than $70 per month.
Hmmmmm, this seems like a good place to step in.

In about two-three months, I'm fixing to go totally off TV except for my canned material on DVDs and tapes. I was wondering if I should when I move out to the country but now it seems, I don't have a choice. There are no cable providers out there, hence no bundles, and while I need internet, probably satellite, I haven't been that enthusiastic to get satellite TV. For almost everything they are offering, I don't watch it now.

The thing is that I think I am making a decision now that is permanent. It's not likely I will think about it five months down the line, especially since it seems I won't be influenced as jlawrencer01 mentioned above.

I am wondering if I am right to do so.

Getting more back to the subject/forum line, is being without cable "frugal". I don't know. There are probably three pieces of equipment I am going have to get to replace "essential" features of cable:

1. weather radio-weather
2. shortwave radio-weather/news
3. ranch weather station-weather

Looking around, all those can probably be covered with one year of cable prices, if not in less time.

Entertainment wise, well that varies to the viewer. If someone needs all the modern stuff, then getting it, legally, from someplace other than cable is probably going to cost them. If they are like me where it is a struggle to watch more than an hour a day, then cable probably loses out to other sources.

For example, the 1st half of the 1st season of Ron Ely's Tarzan was $40. Costly! I bought that in the first of the year, however, and I am still only on disk 1 (4 episodes) with 3 more to go. Spreading the costs out over the months, it may come down a price that competes with cable.

Finally,what was my most frugal option about going to DVDs? Buying a regionless player. I can, at least half the time, make a good price killing by buying overseas DVD regions instead of settling for region 1.

Old 12-08-2016, 04:44 AM

5,270 posts, read 8,216,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

In about two-three months, I'm fixing to go totally off TV except for my canned material on DVDs and tapes. I was wondering if I should when I move out to the country but now it seems, I don't have a choice. There are no cable providers out there, hence no bundles, and while I need internet, probably satellite, I haven't been that enthusiastic to get satellite TV. For almost everything they are offering, I don't watch it now.

The thing is that I think I am making a decision now that is permanent. It's not likely I will think about it five months down the line, especially since it seems I won't be influenced as jlawrencer01 mentioned above.

Getting more back to the subject/forum line, is being without cable "frugal". I don't know. There are probably three pieces of equipment I am going have to get to replace "essential" features of cable:

1. weather radio-weather

Looking around, all those can probably be covered with one year of cable prices, if not in less time.

Entertainment wise, well that varies to the viewer. If someone needs all the modern stuff, then getting it, legally, from someplace other than cable is probably going to cost them. If they are like me where it is a struggle to watch more than an hour a day, then cable probably loses out to other sources.

For example, the 1st half of the 1st season of Ron Ely's Tarzan was $40. Costly! I bought that in the first of the year, however, and I am still only on disk 1 (4 episodes) with 3 more to go. Spreading the costs out over the months, it may come down a price that competes with cable.

Finally,what was my most frugal option about going to DVDs? Buying a regionless player. I can, at least half the time, make a good price killing by buying overseas DVD regions instead of settling for region 1.
I live in an area with no cable. I had a choice between Sprint wireless 4G and satellite internet. I got the Sprint XL data package that includes 40gb of data. I pay 125 bucks a month to connect a usb modem and a tablet to the plan. Last time I checked satellite internet cost more with less data and huge latency issues. Entertainment? I have netflix and watch it about an hour or two at night; I usually only use half my data in any given month.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I live in an area with no cable. I had a choice between Sprint wireless 4G and satellite internet. I got the Sprint XL data package that includes 40gb of data. I pay 125 bucks a month to connect a usb modem and a tablet to the plan. Last time I checked satellite internet cost more with less data and huge latency issues. Entertainment? I have netflix and watch it about an hour or two at night; I usually only use half my data in any given month.
Well, that is one of those calculations that varies between people of whether we need the Net for information or entertainment or both.

As it is, I don't need the Net for entertainment since I go for a personal library instead. I am at least 30% ready to do without the Net at home to play instead "submarine games" where I ask my questions during the day, research them at night at work, and come home with my downloaded answers.

If it came to it, I might be able to go that direction. As it is, though, in this age, it is probably wise to have internet if one can.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:24 AM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

1. weather radio-weather

What about a landline? That is how we get internet access.

Once you can get online, then you can watch shows and get one of the weather services customized to your location.

Old Town Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for ME 04468

https://darksky.net/forecast/45.0414,-68.6702/us12/en

Old 12-08-2016, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
What about a landline? That is how we get internet access.

Once you can get online, then you can watch shows and get one of the weather services customized to your location.

Old Town Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for ME 04468

https://darksky.net/forecast/45.0414,-68.6702/us12/en
Landlines around here are done by Centurylink and they are barely trusted for that. Using them for anything else has the reputation of being a very bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or