U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 01:07 PM

742 posts, read 1,159,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegs56 View Post
When Hurricane Alicia hit in 1983, our electricity stayed on, but the water mains broke. It lasted about 4 days. Aside from no coffee (EEK!) & being a bit gamy, the worst was not being able to flush on demand. Luckily, I lived above the pool area of my apt. complex, & lugged a 5 gal. bucket upstairs every day. The neighbors laughed - at first. Soon, everyone was raiding the pool.

When Hurricane Ike hit in 2008, we kept the water, lost the electric. We got lucky in that a cool front came right after, so having the windows open was enough until the power came back on (except at night - closed the windows!).

Having been without both (as well as other times), I can definitely say I'd rather do without electricity.
Same here with Hurricane Ike. My house is totally electric so we couldn't cook and we were very thankful the weather wasn't very hot so we could open the windows. Now that I think about it, I think we did lose the water for a day or so. I remember it not working, and then we were under a boil water recommendation for a couple of days after that. When Hurricane Rita hit in 2005, we were living in the country and had a neighborhood well, so when we lost the electricity, we also lost the water. Of the two, I'd much rather live without electricity. We have a Coleman camp stove, a coffeemaker that fits on the stove, and we have a rotating supply of bottled water. We can cook, heat the water up for a quick wash (or take a cold shower - water heater is electric), and have coffee. Oh, and we have lots of books to entertain ourselves with. I didn't really miss the electricity when it was out for the week after Ike - what I missed was a hot shower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 07:43 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,338,785 times
Default Water or Electricity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
If you had to make a choice between water and electricity for 2 weeks to go without...which would it be?
The way I read the post, the choice is NO water or NO electricity. Like a few other posters noted, you can't live without water but you can live without electricity.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:58 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,810,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Water...I'm sure my neighbor would let me fill up buckets at his outside faucet. I'd do the same for him.
Same.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:52 AM

30,325 posts, read 31,191,100 times
Quote:
If you had to make a choice between water and electricity for 2 weeks to go without...which would it be?
Obviously electricity is less important than water.

Old 10-29-2016, 03:28 PM

15,682 posts, read 3,112,310 times
I would rather go without electricity

Old 10-29-2016, 03:32 PM

13,362 posts, read 7,128,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
This really is an interesting question because those of us that had homes in rural areas also had drilled wells. So if electricity was out many would also lose their ability to have water. With that said, a smart rural homeowner would certainly have a backup generator (we had two) AND a stash of potable water (we had WaterBricks) for just such an emergency.

If however, the original poster is speaking in a 'pure' sense, the answer is simple: I would rather live without electricity. Humans will die without access to potable water.

~RVcook
But you can drink many things besides water and live just fine...

Old 10-30-2016, 07:38 PM

4,024 posts, read 1,471,806 times
Quote:
I'd rather go without water for two weeks then go without electricity for two hours. As long as I have power for my computers, I'm good.

I have enough bottled water right now to easily last two weeks. If I had even a little time to prepare, I would probably fill up the bathtub with water for the toilet. I would eat frozen dinners with plastic utensils, and use wet wipes to clean. It would just be a minor inconvenience for me. Not being able to take a shower for two weeks would not exactly be fun, but without electricity I wouldn't have hot water anyway.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:21 AM

10,148 posts, read 13,838,845 times
Water

As others said some kind soul would give you some fresh water for consumption or cooking.
If you have or was able to get a 5 gallon bucket, then that bucket full of non drinking water would let you flush the toilet 2-3 times.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:45 AM

258 posts, read 134,456 times
Oh my gosh...neither!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-25-2016, 10:09 AM

12,425 posts, read 14,553,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You will die without water for 2 weeks. You only have 3-5 days to live with no water. You can live without electricity, although not comfortably.
without electricity...That's what I'd choose.
We've previously lived very comfortably without electricity for several years. It's like camping...no big deal.
We have electricity now...have had for years...but it really is a luxury (I think).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or