U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 01:16 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,514,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
If you had to make a choice between water and electricity for 2 weeks to go without...which would it be?
By water do you mean indoor plumbing? That would be an easy pick for me. I think I'd rather die (figuratively) than go without water for 2 weeks. Bathing would be way too difficult for me. Electricity isn't much of a necessity any way, especially if you've got a gas stove (and then there's sterno if you don't). Candle light should cover the rest. Fans if it's summer. I've got my gel fireplace to warm up to if it's winter (and plenty of blankets/sweaters). Am I missing anything else? Can't think of anything that's essential. Wonder who would pick water??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 02:36 PM

18,311 posts, read 18,565,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I make it a point to not answer hypothetical questions about scenarios that will never happen.

Since I am going to assume the op meant household plumbing , let me tell you that, for many of us in Southwest Florida the last couple of weeks, it wasn't a scenario that will never happen.
Not being able to flush is more important than you might think!

Old 10-02-2017, 02:19 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,391,251 times
After living without power for 3 months after Sandy, I will gladly once again live without power. We were able to take hot showers and use the stove since they were on gas. I can't imagine not being able to turn on the faucet for water.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:49 PM

147 posts, read 81,771 times
we lived for 2 days without power during snowstorms in Boston.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:28 PM

11,792 posts, read 15,814,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
If you had to make a choice between water and electricity for 2 weeks to go without...which would it be?
If my electricity went out, I would also have no water since my water is provided by an electric pump inside a deep well. Yet I would rather my electricity go out since I have emergency generators to run the well and the house.

Also, in the past, the costs of repairs for a simple electricity outage normally has always fallen to my Electric Coop. This summer the very old transformer on the pole failed and had to be repalced by the Coop.

If my water stops flowing and there is a sufficient electrical supply, that would likely entail a very expensive pump, pressure tank or even a well replacement.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:12 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,341,398 times
At first I thought duh, you can't live without water for two weeks, but then I started thinking about the question a little more and the solution is simple-you can live without water if you could substitute another liquid such as broth, juice etc. Problem solved

Last edited by skugelstadt; 10-13-2017 at 10:24 PM..

Old 10-15-2017, 03:32 AM

18,311 posts, read 18,565,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
At first I thought duh, you can't live without water for two weeks, but then I started thinking about the question a little more and the solution is simple-you can live without water if you could substitute another liquid such as broth, juice etc. Problem solved
How many cartons of broth does it take to flush the toilet?
I suppose a bath with tomato juice could double up as deodorant since it's good for neutralizing skunk spray.

Old 10-15-2017, 03:52 AM

12,733 posts, read 10,771,268 times
Would depend on the season.
There are ways to not use a toilet, I'm camper...gallons of water are .25 here,
I'd load up....but the furnace fan or the AC in the South and the fridge are imp to me.

I do have 2 wood burning stoves for a Winter problem.

Old 10-15-2017, 04:08 AM

364 posts, read 127,082 times
electricity

water is just too essential. And it's not just for drinking, but for bathroom needs, cleaning (personal and dishes etc), etc.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:57 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,341,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
How many cartons of broth does it take to flush the toilet?
I suppose a bath with tomato juice could double up as deodorant since it's good for neutralizing skunk spray.
My situation may be different than others. I have a camping toilet with heavy duty plastic bags and a powder that absorbs moisture, turning liquids into a solid, so that takes care of toilet needs. I have wet wipes and isopropyl alcohol for personal sanitation. I am also retired, so I don't have to mingle with society as long as I have a two week supply of other materials. I also have enough clothes to last the two weeks without laundering. I've gone backpacking and camping for a week at a time so I could probably endure discomfort/ inconvenience better than most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or