Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 07:36 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,656,593 times

Advertisements

I'm not talking about tipping when you dine in at a restaurant but when you decide to take your food order to go!

I went to a restaurant earlier this evening to pick up my food. Upon my arrival, the host was quite nice, made small talk, and was quite courteous. After I paid for my food, I decided not to leave a tip. But after that, I felt like I got the cold shoulder from her. She did not say one word to me after she realized that I didn't leave a tip and she very briefly gave me a look of disapproval. Usually after you pay, they give you the receipt and wish you to have a good rest of the day. But in her case, she didn't do this. She gave me the receipt, turn her back to me, and all communication from her halted. I even had to ask if she needed anything from me. And with her back turned to me, she said no, and that was it. It was an awkward moment.

Again, when I dine in, I tip anywhere from 15-20 percent, but when I take it home with me, I don't leave a tip. I thought a tip was designed to give to my server for doing their job well. Has things changed? Do you guys leave tips when you're taking out food?

Old 10-31-2016, 07:45 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,290,389 times
If it is a sit down restaurant it is appropriate to tip for carryout. A server puts your order together and takes time out of their workday. I usually go about 10% for carryout.

If it is a pizza joint or Chinese carryout place it is different.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
If it is a sit down restaurant it is appropriate to tip for carryout. A server puts your order together and takes time out of their workday. I usually go about 10% for carryout.

If it is a pizza joint or Chinese carryout place it is different.

See, I didn't think of if like that.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:51 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
Exactly... all the way down to the amount of the tip.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:52 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,778,414 times
My answer is no.

However, the only exception is if I'm offered something like hot tea, which happens often while I order take out from a local Thai restaurant. Although I'm not charged for it, I do leave a tip when they offer me something hot to drink. A kind and courtesy act is something I value.

However, if I'm only at a restaurant to pick up food and nothing else is done except an exchange of cash or my credit card is swiped, then I do not leave a tip.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:00 PM

482 posts, read 901,468 times
Nope. And neither do I tip my bank teller, grocery clerk, mailman, gas station attendant, child's teacher, tire rotator, mechanic, or the receptionist at my doctor's office, etc, although they provide a service to me.

When I'm in a restaurant, I don't tip the cashier, hostess, bartender (if I'm not at the bar) or bus boy (although I have slipped a few $ into the hands of a few extremely conscientious ones). Tips are customary for waitresses and waiters. I'm just a little tired of seeing tip cups everywhere. Ssssheesh, where will it end....will we be expected to tip the morgue worker before he lays you under?

Old 10-31-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTwinkie View Post
Nope. And neither do I tip my bank teller, grocery clerk, mailman, gas station attendant, child's teacher, tire rotator, mechanic, or the receptionist at my doctor's office, etc, although they provide a service to me.

When I'm in a restaurant, I don't tip the cashier, hostess, bartender (if I'm not at the bar) or bus boy (although I have slipped a few $ into the hands of a few extremely conscientious ones). Tips are customary for waitresses and waiters. I'm just a little tired of seeing tip cups everywhere. Ssssheesh, where will it end....will we be expected to tip the morgue worker before he lays you under?

This is my mind of thinking but I feel kinda bad that I did something wrong. Maybe times have changed and I haven't adapted yet.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:22 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTwinkie View Post
Tips are customary for waitresses and waiters.
And when you get take-out at a place like, say, Olive Garden, that is who takes the order, packs everything up, and gets it out front for you to pick up.
They have to spend time away from their tables and take care of you!

Personally, If I was a waitress, I would flat out refuse to deal with take out orders. I would rather devote my time to customers who appreciate it with a tip!

Old 10-31-2016, 08:53 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
I tend to automatically tip (15-20%) in restaurants, haircuts, golf stewards, etc., but not for serve yourself transactions where all the individual has done is ring-up your bill (and perhaps nodded toward a tip bucket on the counter).

It seems to me that the practice of tipping has become almost perfunctory, rather than an acknowledgement of service. This bothers me a bit because I think it feeds the pervasive entitlement mindset that seems so prevalent in our society today. A number of business owners I know have remarked that some of their younger employees (and applicants) seem to have an "I'm here, that should be enough" work ethic.

Regardless of the job or service, there should be a basic 'meets minimum requirements of the job' expectation that does not merit more than a polite thank you ("for doing your job"). If this politically correct "participation trophy" mindset doesn't change, I fear that the concept of added value will totally disappear from our society.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:07 AM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I tip for take out from a full service restaurant. People in the kitchen may cook it, but they don't pack it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living