U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-25-2016, 02:25 PM
 
7,358 posts, read 4,430,363 times
Reputation: 8312

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You bought land in an off grid area, that's on a dangerous road and also has a mine on it? Like others have said it was cheap for a reason. To make money off of you most likely you will have to put some money into it. As Petunia suggest we raised goats for some time and it was fairly easy until 3 dogs killed 3/4 of our goats in one evening
May I ask how you went about it? You bought some kids and raised them? And then...advertise goats for sale? Is it profitable?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-25-2016, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Northern California
19 posts, read 12,019 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
CarolinaM, I think I recognize you from another forum!

Someone IRL suggested raising animals, like goats. I don't know, but I may look into it.
Hi Petunia, you are correct it is me nice to see you here. Yes pigs were mentioned so we'll keep that open. I think we could get the food for free
I love German Shepards so may go that route by my husband says breeding them isn't feasible. Maybe if we can somehow
make our own dog food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Northern California
19 posts, read 12,019 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Paintball field.
Now this might work. There are absolutly no paintball fields within 50 miles of the town.

I suspect many would come for this except it is a huge undertaking I am not equipped for.

Good thinking!


Submariner I am a little familar with your posts and your links to the Sierra Nevada. Thanks for the tip but not sure if there are any topo maps which would have this mine on it. We'll see...this is one of the smaller, lesser known mining companies from the mid 1800-early 1900's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Northern California
19 posts, read 12,019 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You bought land in an off grid area, that's on a dangerous road and also has a mine on it? Like others have said it was cheap for a reason. To make money off of you most likely you will have to put some money into it. As Petunia suggest we raised goats for some time and it was fairly easy until 3 dogs killed 3/4 of our goats in one evening
FTR, the land in this area goes like hotcakes. We've been waiting for almost 2 years for it to come up. So it is worth much more than we paid, trust me. Only thru luck did we acquire it.

Goats around here are a dime a dozen so that wouldn't be feasible in our area but it is a great idea nonetheless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Old Hippie Heaven
16,218 posts, read 7,101,807 times
Reputation: 9202
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaM View Post
FTR, the land in this area goes like hotcakes. We've been waiting for almost 2 years for it to come up. So it is worth much more than we paid, trust me. Only thru luck did we acquire it.

Goats around here are a dime a dozen so that wouldn't be feasible in our area but it is a great idea nonetheless
Look around for a farmer to lease it to.

Is hay a crop in your area? That's a good one for an "absentee" farmer. There is always a demand for good hay.

Someone wanting to do organic beef might also be interested in leasing your land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 04:46 PM
 
17,626 posts, read 12,211,350 times
Reputation: 12859
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaM View Post
FTR, the land in this area goes like hotcakes. We've been waiting for almost 2 years for it to come up. So it is worth much more than we paid, trust me. Only thru luck did we acquire it.

Goats around here are a dime a dozen so that wouldn't be feasible in our area but it is a great idea nonetheless
You said in your first sentence you got it cheap because it's off a dangerous road. I doubt it's worth much more than you just paid for it, that simply doesn't make sense with your first statement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Wartrace,TN
5,273 posts, read 8,223,164 times
Reputation: 10385
Too late now but it would have been better to have had a plan BEFORE buying the property. 20 acres isn't enough for a commercial livestock operation . Maybe you could grow mushrooms commercially?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 06:18 PM
 
7,358 posts, read 4,430,363 times
Reputation: 8312
Mushrooms. That's an interesting idea.

(I'm looking for income ideas, too.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 06:22 PM
 
4,316 posts, read 2,151,729 times
Reputation: 7606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You said in your first sentence you got it cheap because it's off a dangerous road. I doubt it's worth much more than you just paid for it, that simply doesn't make sense with your first statement
bingo !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 06:25 PM
 
4,316 posts, read 2,151,729 times
Reputation: 7606
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Look around for a farmer to lease it to.

Is hay a crop in your area? That's a good one for an "absentee" farmer. There is always a demand for good hay.

Someone wanting to do organic beef might also be interested in leasing your land.


"How to make land pay for itself"


Hard to find any land that will "pay for itself "
it's only 20 acres total

Not going to make much money renting it out.


(maybe if it was nice Iowa land suitable for corn )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top