U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 06:30 PM

17,613 posts, read 12,197,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
May I ask how you went about it? You bought some kids and raised them? And then...advertise goats for sale? Is it profitable?

Thanks.

We started we a a handful of adults and then it grew to 40+ We have a pretty large Hispanic popolution in and around Houston so my dad really only sold them to guys who worked with him. It wasn't a big money maker but it really wasn't something we worked at either and it provided an agricultural exemption for property taxes and possibly some federal income tax benefits but I was preteen/young teenager at the time so I can be certain there. Now I'd think you may make some money by making soap with the goats milk but that's some work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 08:26 PM

56 posts, read 28,707 times
I hear using goats for "Green " land and brush clearing is a good niche...you take the goats to someones place and let them eat their little hearts out, they get fed you get paid...surly ther eis a market for that in cali..

Old 10-25-2016, 08:45 PM

16,157 posts, read 7,089,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
"How to make land pay for itself"

Hard to find any land that will "pay for itself "
it's only 20 acres total

Not going to make much money renting it out.

(maybe if it was nice Iowa land suitable for corn )
I suppose it depends on what is meant by paying for itself.

I was thinking in terms of paying the property taxes. You're right that it is very hard to make 20 isolated acres pay for its purchase price.

My thinking is that the OP has said nothing about her own farming knowledge. Therefore, it makes sense to, at first, find a real farmer to lease some of the land. And I suggested hay because that is a crop that doesn't require daily attention from the farmer and it could start yielding income the first year.

If I didn't need income right away, I'd plant tree and berry crops. Just as with hay, there is always a reliable local market, no marketing or long-distance transportation costs.

I suggested beef, because there are often people who would like to raise a few, but don't have the land themselves. I've known several people over the years who either leased ten acres from someone to raise three or four calves or who leased land to do it. You do need fencing for this though.

But if it were my land, I'd go for trees every time.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:36 PM

20,999 posts, read 25,737,156 times
You bought on the wrong side of the border to make serious money on 10 acres.

If it gets cold during winter, I suggest raising chinchillas. Tthey are vegetarians so you can raise their food. Then pelt them out in the fall as soon as their winter coat comes in, sell the pelts at the big fur auctions in Canada.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:40 AM

1,213 posts, read 1,350,242 times
Maybe rent it out for storage units and boat storage. I know a person who did this and people would rent bays for storing boats, tractors, cars, RVs etc. She was home and kept it secure. The structure was fairly simple, but was lockable. Inside there were basic dividers between units. It is low effort and from each person, you may get $50-$100 per month. If you are living there and are home all the time, this is manageable. There were people in town who needed a place to store their boats and RVs.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:43 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,707,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
Maybe rent it out for storage units and boat storage.
IDK... can you easily get boats to a very remote location across very dangerous roads? That is how the OP describes her location.

The boat owners I know overwinter their boats at or close to their marina.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:07 AM

6,908 posts, read 3,738,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaM View Post
Hi Petunia, you are correct it is me nice to see you here. Yes pigs were mentioned so we'll keep that open. I think we could get the food for free
I love German Shepards so may go that route by my husband says breeding them isn't feasible. Maybe if we can somehow
make our own dog food.
Ask any reputable dog breeder and they will tell you there is no profit in breeding dogs. Seriously. Don't be a puppy mill.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:49 AM

7,351 posts, read 4,424,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
Maybe rent it out for storage units and boat storage. I know a person who did this and people would rent bays for storing boats, tractors, cars, RVs etc. She was home and kept it secure. The structure was fairly simple, but was lockable. Inside there were basic dividers between units. It is low effort and from each person, you may get $50-$100 per month. If you are living there and are home all the time, this is manageable. There were people in town who needed a place to store their boats and RVs.
That's not a bad idea.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:51 AM

7,351 posts, read 4,424,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I suppose it depends on what is meant by paying for itself.

I was thinking in terms of paying the property taxes. You're right that it is very hard to make 20 isolated acres pay for its purchase price.

My thinking is that the OP has said nothing about her own farming knowledge. Therefore, it makes sense to, at first, find a real farmer to lease some of the land. And I suggested hay because that is a crop that doesn't require daily attention from the farmer and it could start yielding income the first year.

If I didn't need income right away, I'd plant tree and berry crops. Just as with hay, there is always a reliable local market, no marketing or long-distance transportation costs.

I suggested beef, because there are often people who would like to raise a few, but don't have the land themselves. I've known several people over the years who either leased ten acres from someone to raise three or four calves or who leased land to do it. You do need fencing for this though.

But if it were my land, I'd go for trees every time.
I like the idea of raising Christmas trees. The area is perfect for that. That might be a good money maker, if you devote enough acreage.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:12 PM

1,346 posts, read 1,003,768 times
My brother in law contacted a cell phone company and they were interested in installing a cell tower on his land it pays $500 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or