U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 12:18 PM

20,999 posts, read 25,765,271 times

Advertisements

Some additional suggestions, depending upon your growing season as soil type: wine grapes to be sold to a local winery; hops to be sold to a local botique brewery; cider apples to be sold to a botique cider maker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 12:38 PM

1,866 posts, read 1,338,804 times
Put up a Moto-cross track!

Old 10-26-2016, 12:40 PM

4,316 posts, read 2,149,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
My brother in law contacted a cell phone company and they were interested in installing a cell tower on his land it pays $500 a month.
For $500 a month many people would want a cell phone tower on their land.

Usually the company will contact you if they have the need for one and if your property is suitable.

Getting a cell phone tower built on your property is a long shot at best.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:34 PM

1,346 posts, read 1,004,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
For $500 a month many people would want a cell phone tower on their land.

Usually the company will contact you if they have the need for one and if your property is suitable.

Getting a cell phone tower built on your property is a long shot at best.
You're correct it was a long shot but he kept calling and sending emails and he finally got in touch with someone who helped him get it started. He also has a natural gas well so he gets free gas for life for one dwelling.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:37 PM

277 posts, read 185,229 times
Could you lease the land out to someone who has the funds and energy to start a tree farm, paintball field etc. ?

Old 10-26-2016, 07:54 PM

473 posts, read 283,583 times
I was just looking at similar situation for myself but water source was too questionable as too near the oil field and sludge wells. However, really nice price for a foreclosure and 20 minutes from 'city' of 10k so jobs were available as fall back.

Dog breeding (breed that requires no surgical modifications like docked tails or dew claw removal at birth). Some of the breeds like boxers require so much veteranarian work, you REALLY need to be able to charge $500-800 to really break even when female gets old enough to need delivery help from vet for each litter. Do your research so you can pick an good blood line and get one of the dogs from WAY outside the area to make sure it is not cross bred somehow.

Christmas trees

Pumpkin farm if you are social and willing to do some improvements to property. Corn maize? Hay rack? Ponies? Playground equipment? Close to city to get lots of schools out?

Sheep...

Sell some high end product you can make & market from your farm.

Hot rod antique cars or motorcycles....

Ebay business from farm sales & antiques if you have a good estate sale market around you.

Govt set asides property conservation. Need to read up on this as it severely limits what you can do to the land later including water rights.

Write books...do video library of all your projects/cooking/gardening/zeroscaping to sell later.

Hunting leases, paint balls, motorcross/bmx track, zip line, hiking.....RV park with lake?

Storage spot/ RV / boats if you make some improvements, especially if near lake.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:00 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,495,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaM View Post
... Submariner I am a little familar with your posts and your links to the Sierra Nevada. Thanks for the tip but not sure if there are any topo maps which would have this mine on it. We'll see...this is one of the smaller, lesser known mining companies from the mid 1800-early 1900's
All 1849 to 1860-ish mining claims are supposed to be on topo maps.

I found a lot of them in the Mariposa / Sonora / Yosemite areas.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:39 PM

3,425 posts, read 2,123,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaM View Post
Hi Petunia, you are correct it is me nice to see you here. Yes pigs were mentioned so we'll keep that open. I think we could get the food for free
I love German Shepards so may go that route by my husband says breeding them isn't feasible. Maybe if we can somehow
make our own dog food.
Please do not breed German Shepherds. They are dying in shelters in droves because there are too many dogs and not enough homes. Yes, even the purebred dogs. Many landlords will not allow them because they are considered a "dangerous breed".

Before being bred the dog needs hip x-rays to determine if they have hip and/or elbow displaysia (and if so they shouldn't be bred). They should be tested to see if they are degenerative myelopathy carriers. Dogs shouldn't be bred until they are at least two and they should not have more than one litter a year. Once born, the puppies will need worming and shots before they can be placed in homes at 8 weeks. You never know if something will go wrong and the female will need a c-section or have other health issues. Dogs also will need yearly vet check up, heartworm and flea medication and dog food. I don't see room for any of that in your budget.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:40 PM

22,706 posts, read 21,760,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Please do not breed German Shepherds. They are dying in shelters in droves because there are too many dogs and not enough homes. Yes, even the purebred dogs. Many landlords will not allow them because they are considered a "dangerous breed".

Before being bred the dog needs hip x-rays to determine if they have hip and/or elbow displaysia (and if so they shouldn't be bred). They should be tested to see if they are degenerative myelopathy carriers. Dogs shouldn't be bred until they are at least two and they should not have more than one litter a year. Once born, the puppies will need worming and shots before they can be placed in homes at 8 weeks. You never know if something will go wrong and the female will need a c-section or have other health issues. Dogs also will need yearly vet check up, heartworm and flea medication and dog food. I don't see room for any of that in your budget.
Yeah, there are enough dogs. When I was a kid, my family always owned a dog, or two, or three.. They usually came from the pound. Five of them were West Highland White Terriers. There was a puppy mill somewhere in the area.

I have nothing to add. Everything I thought of has already been mentioned, but I find this thread fascinating.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:47 PM

285 posts, read 127,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolineM View Post
Really? Well someone ought to go get these Shepards and bring them here.

They are very rare here, and wanted. People here are very afflient, overall so would take good care of them.

I've only owned a German Shepard as a child, so that is the only dog I prefer.

But we decided not to consider it anyhow. Thanks for your advice and knowledge, that is so good to know

You have a good heart
Where are you?? Yes there are a lot of them being eithenized privately, quite a few shelters rescue 20 to 100 every weekend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or