Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 10:59 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,665,237 times

Advertisements

We took the cash my Dad offered for the wedding, had a tiny wedding with just immediate family and our best friends. I did wear a wedding gown that I got for $150 off-season. Reception was at a Polynesian restaurant for just the small wedding party of ten. With the wedding cash, we bought a new car ($2000 in 1969!) for a little Fiat 850 sports car). Had a great honeymoon in Provincetown MA and enjoyed ourselves in our little red car and no-stress wedding. No regrets! I'd do it again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 11:07 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times
2nd marriage for both of us. We got license,got married,ate ,spent night in nice hotel and then told the kids.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:10 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
We got married last year. All in all, it was quite economical, IMO. The rings were most expensive, about $4K for both sets, but my set had to be remade due to a defect, which added $1100 to the cost. My dress was $600 including $200 in alterations. Being a busty, petite bride has its disadvantages

We saved a bundle on the honeymoon by combining it with a cross country trip we needed to take anyway for a huge birthday celebration for her mother. We had the wedding in the mountains several hours from MIL's home. So we only needed to pay hotel for the honeymoon and didn't have to fork over money for extra airfare. We hired a reasonably priced minister, but she was pretty lousy. We didn't care; it was a fabulous day nevertheless. Because it was a destination wedding 1500 miles from our home, it was just the two of us.

Old 11-02-2016, 02:50 PM

406 posts, read 348,285 times
I personally didn't spend that much on the actual ceremony. No.

Actual wedding reception ~ 90k. Welcome dinner ~10k, farewell brunch ~10k. Wedding & engagement rings another 25k. Honeymoon ~ 5k

I paid for the engagement ring. Fiancee paid for the wedding bands. We both paid for the honeymoon. Various family members paid for the rest.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:36 PM

1,143 posts, read 2,874,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
I got married back in the dark ages...you know, the groom gets a new club, steals the bride from her tribe and drags her by the hair off to his cave for the honeymoon. A mastodon or two might be thrown on the fire for a celebration. Someone beats on the rocks with bones and everyone dances.

No, I got married in the 1960's and had what was the typical wedding for my circle of acquaintances. Church, minister and organist were free, my dress cost $72, my mother made the bridesmaid dresses. Flowers were cheap. A friend took the wedding pictures. We got a good deal on the tuxes. We had cake, nuts, mints, and punch in the church Fellowship Hall. Everybody in the church were invited via an invitation posted on the bulletin board. Our wedding rings cost $20 apiece. We had a cheap honeymoon.

I was still in college and he was in the service and being sent overseas in a couple of weeks. And you know what? Even with no $6000 gown, $200-a-plate reception and a band, the marriage somehow managed to last for 37 years until I lost him to a heart attack.
Jamary.....that is the exact kind of wedding that I remember as a small child in the South. Several of my cousins in the late 70s/early 80s had the exact same wedding. I'm so sorry that your lost your love but thank you for sharing your sweet story.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:37 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Our wedding was FREE.

We have a "family" type friend who is a minister, and married us for free at his "estate", very small gathering, and laid out a deli style sandwich spread/picnic for us afterwards.

Best type there is.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:10 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Our wedding was FREE.

We have a "family" type friend who is a minister, and married us for free at his "estate", very small gathering, and laid out a deli style sandwich spread/picnic for us afterwards.

Best type there is.

For you.

Other formats are best for other people, other cultures, etc., obviously.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:43 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
$6000. That included

* One hall with an aisle chairs and a string quartet for the ceremony
* Another 150 person hall for our 80 guests + the quartet, minister, DJ, and photographer.
* Catered food for everyone, including quartet, minister, DJ, and photographer
* Open bar on select beers and wines. Liquor, cocktails, mix drinks not included.
* Photographer (I provided my personal equipment and film. I retained ownership of negatives).
* My wife's wedding gown and her bridesmaids.
* My Rental tux.
* DJ
* Complimentary Suite in the Hotel.
* IIRC it also included our plane tickets (we lived in another state but had our wedding were most of our friends and family were located)

The manager was nice enough to even cover the bill for our breakfast with immediate family the next morning. By the end, word got out that we delayed our honeymoon because we didn't want to dip into anymore of my savings. Wife's maid of honor's mother handed us the keys to her retirement home on an island in Florida that she just closed on. That and some donations allowed us to have a modest honeymoon in a wonderful island resort town for just the cost of food and plane tickets. Since it was a home, we had access to a full kitchen and cooked breakfast and lunch. Ate dinners out at restaurants.

The engagement ring was $2500 out of my pocket. Wedding bands were another $300.

Pretty much everything just kinda worked out....

In the end, we had enough in savings to cover closing costs on the home (our first and only) that we still live in today.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:14 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No, I did not pay a lot. (Please note this is TWO words..."a" and "lot", which can be replaced with "much").
But some couples allot quite a bit of money for theirs.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:31 AM

2,276 posts, read 3,077,907 times
First wedding was around $10k, of which half was paid by my wife's parents. What we paid was made up for in the cash we received and we did an inexpensive long weekend honeymoon to a bed & breakfast in a nice little resort town on Lake Michigan that we drove to in a family friend's Miata convertible.

Second wedding (her first) was also around $10k, 11 years later. We paid for all of it. Still pretty reasonable considering what we got and that we had about 75 people show up. The venue, photographer, and really everything was better the second time around. Shopped around more and found good bargains, but didn't skimp. We got around $5k in gift cash for that one, too, which paid for our honeymoon in Maui.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living