U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2016, 06:02 AM

5,514 posts, read 5,496,825 times

Advertisements

I currently have cable and the price has gone up twice within the last few months. I would like to explore a cheaper alternate. How does Hulu work? Is it like demand? I like to watch Tv one, Bravo, Ovation, Hallmark, AMC and Oxygen. Can I view shows found on these networks on Hulu?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 07:28 AM

6,166 posts, read 3,251,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I currently have cable and the price has gone up twice within the last few months. I would like to explore a cheaper alternate. How does Hulu work? Is it like demand? I like to watch Tv one, Bravo, Ovation, Hallmark, AMC and Oxygen. Can I view shows found on these networks on Hulu?
I'm a cord cutter I subscribe to Netflix & Amazon Prime Video instead of Hulu.

I've found the best substitute for cable "live" tv is a digital antenna, depending on where you live. I have one for each tv and get an array of stations that come from local tv towers. The picture is clearer than cable, since it's a direct signal, and will be in HD, if the program is in HD. The cost is...free! Except the cost of the antenna.

You will not get cable stations for free. Those stations are in contract with cable companies, so you have to pay to see them, unless they are the stations that are also free in your area (NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, COZI, WE tv, etc.).

To see what stations you would get on "broadcast" tv (over the air free stations), use antennaweb.org and tvfool.com.

Netflix & Amazon Prime have some tv shows, but they are only old tv shows or older seasons (Frasier, Columbo, Blacklist, American Horror Story, etc.). My understanding of Hulu Plus is that the tv shows it has are for concluded seasons, and some series episodes AFTER they have aired on cable. You can get a free trial and check it out for yourself.

I have a Roku, which is a gizmo that plugs into my tv and contains its own channels/stations. That is how I use Netflix & Amazon Prime Video, and an array of free stations. Hulu Plus is on it, too. There are a couple of subscription services that aim to replace the "live" tv experience. Sling TV has contracted with some cable stations to have their stations as a small basket. Sling TV is $20/month. It has AMC, TCM, Discovery, and other channels. BUT I've heard a lot of complaints that it doesn't work well...it stalls or whatever.

You can do a free trial of SlingTV, as well. I don't subscribe to it, since it supposedly doesn't work well, and it's a bit like cable to me in that it has a basket of stations, many which I'm not interested in.

Rather than look for, say, the OXYGEN channel, you would look for what subscription services carry the PROGRAM you like.

Hope that helps.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:53 AM

13,116 posts, read 9,202,467 times
Cheap and inexpensive programming:
[] OTA TV
. . . good antennas cost $$$ - no "amplified antenna" is going to compensate.
. . . Most local channels carry subchannels, which gives you up to 3 choices HD, SD, SD.
. . . The proliferation of retread programming is like going back in time - 1950s, 60s, 70s, and so on.
. . . If your computer PVR can do multiplex recording, all three subchannels can be recorded on one tuner.
[] Streaming services, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Play, Crackle, YouTube, Streampix and HitBliss
. . . Some cable channels also offer past seasons for streaming
[] KODI add-ons
[] Streaming from a friend's server

Old 11-17-2016, 04:47 PM

5,514 posts, read 5,496,825 times
Thanks for the response. I have an antenna. During the lean times, I did not have cable and it worked well. I watched mostly ION and the game show network. It was free. Things are a little better now so I turned back on my cable. It is expensive but I will leave it. It is a big part of my entertainment. I prefer live TV. I don't want it to be like demand all the time.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:23 AM

9,584 posts, read 20,459,831 times
I haven't had cable in years. A smart tv or dumb tv hooked up to a smart Blue Ray player gives me all I need. Sometimes I would like to have more sports channels but I do fine between over the air channels, YouTube, Netflix, and Hulu.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:34 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
I've never had cable, and my husband hasn't for years. We access Netflix and Amazon Prime with a Roku, and have a digital antenna.

We still have to wait for premum cable shows, can't get in on the ground floor with those unless doing pay as you go with HBO Go, etc.

We watch no sports, so one barricade that people often have to ditching cable is a nonissue for us.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:49 PM

214 posts, read 311,771 times
If you want live TV why don't you look at one of the streaming services like Sling TV, Playstation Vue or Direct TV NOW? Prices range anywhere from $20-$60/month

Old 12-05-2016, 08:55 PM

473 posts, read 283,583 times
I liked HULU plus. You can still watch a lot of TV on demand at TV station for newer stuff/news. Also get Amazon Prime movies/TV which has some offerings that may appeal to younger crowd...Fill in with occasional RedBox, maybe with discount codes. There is a HUGE amount of good video on YOutube if you want to research a project or DIY. Lynda.com is almost worth paying for if you work in anything using software and need to improve skills - at $35 a month is a great deal as long as you can use the software at work or free 30 days download. Lynda.com is ESPECIALLY helpful if you want a career change...some of the colleges have gotten so bad looks like a daycare center classroom with sexual harassing instructor and skills are so out of date, is useless waste of loan....Also worth the professional development budget, last version of college textbook used for $10 on Amazon.

Sorry I slipped into tangent, is kind of my journey right now.

If you are close to larger city, a mid-priced antenna is worth the try. I was SHOCKED at what good signal the mid-sized indoor antennas can provide at distances of 30+ miles even. If more motivated, can mount in attic for even better options.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:51 PM

27,179 posts, read 11,349,748 times
Playstation Vue gets pretty good reviews and in some areas you get all the local channels too, they were barred from providing locals to new areas as they expand, but there are still some areas where they are included.
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/channels/

Old 12-06-2016, 05:36 AM

22,706 posts, read 21,750,727 times
I also use Watch Series. Watch Series Online for free, Full episodes - Watch Series - Watch Series
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living