U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 07:44 PM

84 posts, read 88,457 times

Advertisements

Does anyone live in an apartment? If so, do you like it and the "challenges" of it? My wife, son, and I live in a small 2 bedroom apartment. We don't have cable. We have a mohu leafwith Netflix, Hulu plus, Amazon prime video, and MLB.tv. We shop at Aldi's for our groceries, and dollar general for our toiletries. We have a couch, computer desk with file cabinet, and an entertainment center that holds our tv, DVD player, PS3, and storage for the PS3 games and dvds. We have a small kitchen with a drop leaf table and a small bookcase for cook books. We have a full sized bed in our bedroom and one night stand. We do it so we can fit two dressers in there and my wife's sewing machine. We use the bottom of the closet for the sewing and knitting materials. My son's bedroom has a twin bed with storage on the bottom of the bed and the head board. He also has a dresser, small bookcase, and a section for his toys.

Some may knock out life. Even some of our family knocks it. But we are being frugal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 08:03 PM

24,751 posts, read 26,817,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf33078 View Post
Does anyone live in an apartment? If so, do you like it and the "challenges" of it? My wife, son, and I live in a small 2 bedroom apartment. We don't have cable. We have a mohu leafwith Netflix, Hulu plus, Amazon prime video, and MLB.tv. We shop at Aldi's for our groceries, and dollar general for our toiletries. We have a couch, computer desk with file cabinet, and an entertainment center that holds our tv, DVD player, PS3, and storage for the PS3 games and dvds. We have a small kitchen with a drop leaf table and a small bookcase for cook books. We have a full sized bed in our bedroom and one night stand. We do it so we can fit two dressers in there and my wife's sewing machine. We use the bottom of the closet for the sewing and knitting materials. My son's bedroom has a twin bed with storage on the bottom of the bed and the head board. He also has a dresser, small bookcase, and a section for his toys.

Some may knock out life. Even some of our family knocks it. But we are being frugal.
Personally, I wouldn't want to raise a kid in an apartment, but if it's all you can afford, then you do what you have to do.

I live in a studio apt. myself and it's fine for me.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:40 PM

10,864 posts, read 18,917,965 times
I liked apartments until the buildings around ours started having big fires, then I got worried about the safety of the kids and we bought a house instead.

There are advantages and disadvantages to having an apartment. For me, the advantages were not having to worry about repairs or lawn care and being able to move when we wanted to. The disadvantages were having landlords that didn't make repairs when they were needed, high utility bills, and noisy neighbors. The apartments we lived in were always within walking distance of parks, stores and the library. Our house is not within walking distance of anything, not even the bus stop.

My kids had a loft bed with a dresser, desk and bookcase built in underneath. Their bedroom was quite small and we used a toddler bed for our younger daughter so that there was more floor space in the room. I always felt bad that they didn't have their own rooms, but once we bought a house, they wanted to sleep in the same room anyhow.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:40 PM

4,547 posts, read 3,013,293 times
The good thing is your son may have/meet other kids in the building & have built-in friends.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:47 PM

4,547 posts, read 3,013,293 times
I feel safe living in my building. When I had a house in the city I was scared towarddstowards the end. With the recession there were a lot of break ins in my neighborhood.

Now I have neighbors somewhere near my age & it costs a lot less.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:10 PM

2,069 posts, read 1,329,718 times
I grew up in apartment and then we moved to suburb right before I started high school. Raising kids in apartment is not bad at all. We had a park a block away. In summer all the kids and parent went tot he park to play. We knew all the other kids in building. I feel like I knew more of my neighbor than my younger siblings did growing up in suburb. Also because the apt are small, doesn't have play area, people tend to go out more

Your life style seems fine. I dont understand why 3 people family need 4 bedroom house. You have enough space. One extra room would make life even better but its all good

Old 11-22-2016, 10:14 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,193,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf33078 View Post

I admire you. You don't have a mortgage hanging over your head with costly repairs that are inevitable.
You are keeping your life simple and not ruled by all your stuff! Good for you!

I'm retired and live alone in a small 1 BR apt. If I had a house I'd have to hire a lawn svc and also keep up with the repairs. This works for me. Yes it has it's negative points, like noisy neighbors but you could
encounter that in a home too.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:59 AM

478 posts, read 805,078 times
FYI you can play DVDs/Blurays on your PS3. It can also use the apps you listed. Something to think about when trying to save a bit of space/cost.

Nothing wrong with apartments if you're in a good building.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:08 PM

10,864 posts, read 18,917,965 times
My relatives gave us a lot of grief for living in apartments instead of buying a house. Other than the fire issue I posted about above, I think that was our main reason for buying a house. My husband wanted to prove to my relatives that he could provide for us.

Sometimes I think owning a house is a big racket, or at least a lot more trouble than you'd expect. It's like marriage or becoming a parent...your friends who have already taken the plunge want to see you do the same so that you'll have the same stress and extra work in your life as they do.

Old 11-22-2016, 02:13 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,747,892 times
The biggest downside of apartment living for us is not having the space to accommodate out-of-town guests or family. It's a fairly small 2 bedroom apartment.

However living here is essentially worry-free. Buying a house in a decent area around here would cost nearly as much, just in property tax alone, as our yearly rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or