U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 09:44 PM

633 posts, read 413,950 times

Advertisements

I think getting a 2nd job to buy gifts is ridiculous. However, I think getting a 2nd job (even a holiday temporary position) as a gift to YOURSELF is a good idea. To put that "extra" money away so that when a need for you arises later in the year, you can cover it. Give the gift of less stress; of removing dread about what might happen, etc, to you.

Dollar store gifts are appreciated by those who know (and care) that things are rough on you now. Aluminum foil makes for nice wrapping paper. Gold ribbon is sold there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 04:48 AM

9,202 posts, read 3,800,292 times
I don't get the original poster...

you aren't "broke for the holidays", you were broke before the holidays. Just because the holidays occur does not mean you were doing fine in November, but then you are broke in December

someone who couldn't buy gifts in December also couldn't buy it back in June either. If they could buy it in June, they also had money to save instead so they could keep doing it until December when they shopped and not be broke.

Quote:
Aluminum foil makes for nice wrapping paper.
So does normal wrapping paper, it is $1 for a roll, foil cost 2-3x that... if someone is wasting foil as wrapping paper, they deserve to be broke.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:10 AM

8,881 posts, read 15,733,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post

So does normal wrapping paper, it is $1 for a roll, foil cost 2-3x that... if someone is wasting foil as wrapping paper, they deserve to be broke.
Maybe the previous poster was talking about re-using the foil used for Thanksgiving baking.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:48 AM

633 posts, read 413,950 times
Foil is something one often already has on hand.

Op, I do hope others keep coming in to offer something helpful.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:46 AM

21,121 posts, read 26,050,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
.........getting a 2nd job (even a holiday temporary position) as a gift to YOURSELF is a good idea. To put that "extra" money away..........
There's that. Stores are begging for sales help this time of year and some of those jobs are part time for the most popular rush hours. It never hurts to take a few extra paychecks and salt them away for future emergencies.

Also, there are part time holiday restaurant jobs, and sometimes those include a meal as a fringe benefit, which really helps out on the tight budget. Occasionally, a restaurant job will allow employees to take home unused food.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:31 AM

3,884 posts, read 2,044,388 times
I think the posts about making the holidays more about family and time spent together are the best posts. It shouldn't be about gifts or how much you spend or feeling obligated to get gifts for everyone. It should be about enjoying time with loved ones.

If you are truly wanting to give gifts, I suggest giving the gift of your time. Make gifts for friends and family. Write letters to your friends and family letting them know what they truly mean to you or how they have impacted your life. Bake goodies for them. Take your friends and family and volunteer at an old folks home or a soup kitchen. Spend the day outside and make lovely memories together. Stop by the animal shelters and spend time playing the animals. Do something outside of the box if you can.

Don't put pressure on yourself to buy everyone gifts or to spend x amount of money to make others happy.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:07 PM

38,091 posts, read 19,125,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
It's no fun to be broke during the holidays. But it's even worse to spend money you don't have and then do without to get the debt paid off. Gifts don't have to be expensive there are lots of used books and DVD's that can be had for a few bucks. Make a budget and stick to it. Be creative!
Back when we were younger and all broke. We all agreed we'd be happy to bring yourself, spend time with each other and if everyone showed up on time for dinner. It worked. Besides, before we did that I got coffee mugs and didn't need another one lol.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:14 PM

38,091 posts, read 19,125,248 times
Family members moved out of town so since they have teenagers we travel to their house on new years and spend a couple days. We all let loose and have a great time. Last year I had too much party and won't do that again. Each year reminds me of my first apartment days, a big spread, people everywhere, the next day people sleeping everywhere, some snoring, the house a mess (no trying to impress anyone there lol), a good time had by all. Last year I woke up earlier than everyone else so I worked around them and cleaned up. My SIL cooked a to die for big breakfast. Lots of laughs and good memories! Forget the gifts, there's no gift better than making good memories together

Old 12-09-2016, 08:14 PM

22,897 posts, read 21,964,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
Foil is something one often already has on hand.

Op, I do hope others keep coming in to offer something helpful.
I've used freezer paper because I already had it.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:20 PM

808 posts, read 385,753 times
Just found these clear plastic balls at Dollar Tree- made individual ones for everyone's tree filled with stuff they like or photos & gave it to them now for their trees. Big hit. Love that Dollar Tree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or