U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 01:15 PM

808 posts, read 384,292 times

Advertisements

Unemployed, sick or otherwise struggling - without money for gifts, fro frau or any of the holiday nicities - people dropping you off the guest list and gift lists -

What's a poor person to do over the holiday season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 01:36 PM

10,880 posts, read 19,027,723 times
I suggest to the relatives that we just get gifts for the kids and not each other. I've made gifts in the past, crochet hats and scarves or taken apart old necklaces and made bracelets.

I used to have grandparents who would send money. I always used that for my kids' gifts.

Old 11-25-2016, 05:28 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,410,932 times
I got off the gift-giving merry-go-round. I told my (grown) kids I couldn't afford to give holiday gifts any more, and anyway I was the only giver (they didn't give me gifts, although they said they very much appreciated the gifts I gave them) and they make more money than I do.

I take them out to dinner for their birthdays, and that's it.

Old 11-25-2016, 05:33 PM

13,255 posts, read 11,842,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Unemployed, sick or otherwise struggling - without money for gifts, fro frau or any of the holiday nicities - people dropping you off the guest list and gift lists -

What's a poor person to do over the holiday season?
No one should feel pressure to spend money (especially money that they can't afford to spend) just because it's a holiday. If you have kids, hopefully you can do something nice and inexpensive for them.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:49 PM

2,298 posts, read 1,684,975 times
I really dislike the mentality many have at this time who wants overly expensive gifts or those trying to impress and outdo. Some family of ours are like this, they'll give a list of very expensive items expecting most if not all to be bought. We have always gone against that and searched for good quality gifts that we think they'll like that also doesn't cost a fortune. Mostly using garage sales, thrift stores, Craigslist and eBay. 2 years now we have kept our Christmas spending under $60 for 10 people! We buy things that are new in package and good shape, nothing that's been torn open or overly used. I think we have always done well. Anyways, this is what we have been doing. Next year we plan to do a no spend Christmas, maybe just do home made gifts or none at all - I much more enjoy the season when I'm not worried about spending money and what to buy people that they'll actually want!

The only exception I would make is for your own kids. If you have kids, hopefully you can maybe do $10-20 a kid? If they're young that's not hard if you shop at garage sales or on Craigslist. Toys are always so dirt cheap and usually you can get a great deal on CL if you buy a whole lot full of toys.

Regardless, you should never ever have to go into debt or feel pressured to spend for Christmas. It would be so much more enjoyable for me if we all just spent the day together playing games, eating dinner and just having a good time with family. Start your own traditions, homemade gifts or no gifts. Replace gifts with other ideas instead like playing games together or watching Christmas movies ect. For any other family, just let them know your having a tough time and cannot buy this year, simple as that!

Old 11-25-2016, 09:14 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,836,591 times
It's inexpensive, but priceless to write a note and tell someone how much they mean to you.

Children don't need a lot. If money were really tight, I'd make something inexpensively out of something I already owned, fill a need like an item of clothing, or get an item from the dollar store. Can also submit names to local charities.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:19 PM

8,285 posts, read 10,600,146 times
You could say that you have adopted a spiritual practice of "no giving or receiving of gifts."

Old 11-25-2016, 10:08 PM

4,587 posts, read 3,046,057 times
I've let it be known that my 'gifts' will be what I crochet for the homeless, who need things far more than my family does.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:43 PM

473 posts, read 287,352 times
Ask the relatives/friends to just give gifts to the kids or just basics the adults need. Sign up for the community-supported x-mas party. Craigslist has TONs of odd jobs listed for most cities...Can also get Focus group work giving your opinion on new products or ad campaign ideas - listed on Craigslist>jobs>etc. Used these approached to save my own arse after screwed out by troubled coworker after accepting job in city. WAS NO PROBLEM TO GET SOME EXTRA MONEY USING CRAIGSLIST - JUST DON'T GIVE YOUR SS# UNTIL YOU SHOW UP FOR A JOB.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:38 AM

27,490 posts, read 11,553,620 times
I don't give adults in the family gifts anymore, but back in the day when I was a struggling single mom I would give out hand written gift certificates , for my aunt who had a hard time cleaning her home I would give her a gift certificate for one day of house cleaning, and I would give my mom a certificate for a picnic in the park for just the two of us. Nothing I offered cost any money but they were warmly received.

It's easy to get stuff for kids, unless they are spoiled brats they usually enjoy dollar store stuff as much as they do expensive toys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or