U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 02:43 PM

34,549 posts, read 42,724,437 times

Advertisements

I think cheapness is almost like reverse hoarding for some people.
I think frugal is buying one ply toilet paper.
Cheap is stealing toilet paper from public rest rooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 04:11 PM

2,802 posts, read 661,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think cheapness is almost like reverse hoarding for some people.
I think frugal is buying one ply toilet paper.
Cheap is stealing toilet paper from public rest rooms.
Frugal is buying brand name 2 ply toilet paper when it's on sale, and using a coupon to get it for an even lower price. That's just smart shopping. 1 ply isn't frugal because you have to use more.

Yes, stealing toilet paper and paper towels from public restrooms is being a cheapskate.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:01 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,780,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
Wife’s brother came to town, they treated him to dinner out, then they got mad because he said he’d treat them to dessert and took them to an ice-cream parlor. They said ice cream isn't dessert. They complained about this for years.

Years ago I worked at a small non-profit. Things were pretty casual, and during nice weather we usually went out for a group lunch on Fridays. One woman would ALWAYS get up and go to the restroom when it came time for everyone to chip in on the check. Supervisor would let it go and he usually paid more anyway. But this woman thought she was slick. It made me mad to help pay for her lunch.

When supervisor's wife had a baby, everyone chipped in on a gift. That same woman always had an excuse "left wallet at home, only enough money for gas home, will bring it tomorrow". She never did.

It's interesting that the only problem area cited in both the couple and the woman is eating out. In the first example they should have treated the brother with a good heart and no expectation of reciprocation. Picking up the check for three people at even a modest establishment can add up fast, maybe the brother couldn't afford it.

With the woman, participating in boss and peer pressure spending in an office situation can keep you poor, and your dammed if you do, dammed if you don't. Seen as a non-participatory isolationist cheapskate if you don't go along, scratching your head how you are going to cover a steady schedule of Friday lunches, this one's birthday, that one's wedding gift, another one's retirement party.

And there's ALWAYS someone passing the hat and taking up a collection for just about anything...

"Hey Jill, Bob in accounting just had successful ingrown toenail surgery, wer'e taking up a collection to fly someone over from Italy to design him a custom pair of running shoes"...

Old 12-28-2016, 10:47 AM

3,018 posts, read 5,091,614 times
My uncle is cheap. He once walked onto a golf course because he didn't pay. He didn't pay because he assumed one of us foot the bill for him which we normally have to. Then he will play until he loses a ball. If he loses a ball he doesn't play that hole anymore. I think I have only seen him putt a few times due to this "rule".

Frugal is my step mom who has a coupon for everything. She has a full drawer of coupons and when she needs something she pulls them out to check through them for the right one. Particularly Kohl's or local restaurants.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:50 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,816,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
This isn't just about a rotary phone.
No, it is about you attempting to disparage people who live their lives the way they choose without your permission which is not needed because how they live is none of your business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living