Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 01:58 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,017 times

Advertisements

I hope this is the right place for this thread.

There is frugal, then there is cheapskate. Ever watch the TLC show “Extreme Cheapskates”? Well, these people weren’t quite that bad, but…………

A former long-time friend (one of my college roommates) and her husband were – imo – beyond frugal. They were cheapskates when it came to certain things. (I also think wife allowed husband to control the finances, but that’s another story.)

Wife had to go to library to use internet.
Husband only showered every other day (I visited a few times and he should have showered more often, if ya get my drift)
They had a black rotary dial phone from 1978 until 2005 when they moved.
Wife’s brother came to town, they treated him to dinner out, then they got mad because he said he’d treat them to dessert and took them to an ice-cream parlor. They said ice cream isn't dessert. They complained about this for years.

These people were not poor. Wife supported herself fine when she lived in NYC/Manhattan in the 1970s (I visited her. She had an apartment on the Upper West Side before rents got crazy.) Husband made a six-figure salary, wife taught school (in NYC and VA) for about 20 yrs, then she managed a computer store. When the store closed husband told her to get another job – which she did, at Burger King. For several years. They never had kids, and lived in an apartment in Virginia until retirement. Wife received a very large inheritance when her mother died (which husband promptly took charge of).

They paid cash for a new car every 4/5 years.
When they retired (at age 55) they bought their first house in Arizona in 2005 and put ½ down.

But I scratched my head at some of the things they did. :shrug:

Another one, but this person was more of a scammer:
Years ago I worked at a small non-profit. Things were pretty casual, and during nice weather we usually went out for a group lunch on Fridays. One woman would ALWAYS get up and go to the restroom when it came time for everyone to chip in on the check. Supervisor would let it go and he usually paid more anyway. But this woman thought she was slick. It made me mad to help pay for her lunch.

When supervisor's wife had a baby, everyone chipped in on a gift. That same woman always had an excuse "left wallet at home, only enough money for gas home, will bring it tomorrow". She never did.

Last edited by applej3; 12-09-2016 at 02:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 02:02 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Why should the staff pay for the supervisor (who earns way more than them) when he has a baby? I wouldn't pay either. They collect money at my workplace for babies and going away parties. I never pay. Otherwise I would be out of $100/year. Nope. I would rather spend twice that amount when a real friend of mine has a baby.

I would call out the woman who never pays for food she eats.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:04 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Frugal and cheapskate is a huge difference.

Not getting any internet provider but needing internet is cheap.
Sharing it with the neighbor is frugal.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:09 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
I still have a rotary dial phone. I think every one should. A lot of today's phones go dead if you lose power, but your phone line doesn't. So in an emergency, you can plug in the rotary dial and have phone service.

It's also a cool decorative item.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:25 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
I enjoy the show and have also read "The Cheapskate next door." Author Jeff Yeager got upset when he was not proclaimed the cheapest person in America.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:19 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,289,884 times
I don't know about the first couple. They aren't necessarily cheap. Sometimes people get into a habit of doing things the way they've always done them. Times change, but people don't always change with them. It may be a money saver, but not necessarily cheap just because they didn't keep up with technology. They aren't hurting anyone or taking advantage of anyone with that lifestyle. If the wife was upset, she could take it up with the husband. If she said she really wanted internet at home, he might agree or they could budget it as a gift or whatever the financial agreement is between the two of them.

Not sure what is up with the woman running to the bathroom. Maybe the supervisor knows something you don't and is helping her out in some way.

Yes. I would buy a supervisor's baby gift. This isn't about money. It's about goodwill and wishing the best for someone. Hopefully, you have a good relationship with the supervisor and are willing to contribute a token amount. If someone doesn't wish to participate, you ignore it and move on. Maybe the woman was being cheap or maybe something else is going on. I wouldn't get too involved there. It may not have been in her budget. I know someone who is is a stickler with money even though she doesn't need to be that disciplined. I find it annoying at times, but also realize that is that is the way she was raised and she doesn't mean to be off putting. She is a decent person in other ways.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:26 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,875,511 times
Frugal is when my cost saving ways only impact me. Cheap is when they negatively impact others.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:33 PM

277 posts, read 327,753 times
Agree:

Frugal - saving money at your own expense.

Cheap - saving money at everyone's expense.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:36 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,875,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I still have a rotary dial phone. I think every one should. A lot of today's phones go dead if you lose power, but your phone line doesn't. So in an emergency, you can plug in the rotary dial and have phone service.

It's also a cool decorative item.
So do I-for similar reasons. I also have one of these: http://0.tqn.com/d/antiques/1/L/P/f/...tTelephone.jpg

Old 12-21-2016, 02:38 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,017 times
This isn't just about a rotary phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living