U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 04:18 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,007,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I would find a new doctor.

I am paying for my health care, therefore, unless there is a legal reason for NOT doing something the decision is mine.

I pay good money for medical ADVICE, it is my body and my decision on treatment.

Here is the link for Costco cash prices......Drug Directory

It appears they pro-rate the 100 tabllet price for a years supply.
My Dr. is excellent, I could care less if I could save a few bucks if it means I would have to switch Dr.'s. I only pay $7 for a 3 month supply doesn't matter what the script is for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 05:28 PM
509 509 started this thread

2,550 posts, read 3,756,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
My Dr. is excellent, I could care less if I could save a few bucks if it means I would have to switch Dr.'s. I only pay $7 for a 3 month supply doesn't matter what the script is for.
Yes, everybody's Doctor is above average!!

However, thank you....I will take control of MY health care decisions.

IF you want to turn them over to your Doctor....that is fine as long as it works for you.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:41 AM

27,301 posts, read 11,418,546 times
I don't see a price for a year's supply of anything, the price for the one medication that I take is $11.50 for a 90 day supply, I currently pay $8.47 (Kaiser) for the same drug and that is delivered to my house.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:28 AM

11,744 posts, read 16,492,718 times
There are some things I will not go the nickel and dime route. When SO was on maintenance meds they were delivered in 90 day supply ten days out. Zero charge as we used an insurance mail pharmacy. For anything else I use one of the big box stores where the pharmacist and techs are knowledgable and care.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:31 AM
509 509 started this thread

2,550 posts, read 3,756,051 times
I am not saying everybody needs to look at a years supply and paying the cash price.

We travel a lot and a 90 day supply is a pain in the butt.

I discovered the cash price for a year when I was willing to pay a MORE for a years subscription. Believe me as a American it is difficult to fill your 90 day prescription in the middle of the Yukon.!! It just seemed like every 90 days I was searching for a way to get my prescription filled.....now I don't worry about it.

The cheap price for a years supply was just a bonus.

Your needs and mileage may vary, but it is an option people should be aware of and use if it fits their needs.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:52 AM

24,760 posts, read 26,848,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I think up to a certain point. My brother almost had a heart attack last year due to high blood pressure. It started because he had to stay awake for driving back from his job at night, he needed to drink coffee and that made it worse.
It was likely multiple lifestyle factors that led to the heart attack--the long drives and excessive caffeine consumption probably weren't the only factors.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:53 AM

24,760 posts, read 26,848,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
I call total BS on this!
Lots of people do if it's outside the "drugs & surgery" paradigm.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:22 AM

22,767 posts, read 21,823,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Yes, everybody's Doctor is above average!!

However, thank you....I will take control of MY health care decisions.

IF you want to turn them over to your Doctor....that is fine as long as it works for you.
Well, no. My doctor isn't above average, or if she is, she works for a large practice. I can see that she's trying, but she can't do much.

I'v almost jumped ship to see a guy who worked alone. Two people at the desk, and he'd take your call if or when he was between patients. I hesitated because he was 70. I wondered when he'd retire. Three months later, I decided to make an appointment, only to be told that he wouldn't take new patients because he'd decided to retire.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:41 AM

4,508 posts, read 1,907,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
My doctor will not write any prescription for 365 days, doesn't matter what it is.
Baloney. Pretty much all Tier 1 and Tier 2 prescriptions are for 1 year. Your bottles/packages will show how many refills you have left before your year is up. I've never asked for more than 90 days at a time.

I would think if you give them advance notice so they have the drugs on hand, getting more than 90 would not be a problem. After all, if you take a med twice a day and get a 90 day supply, that's 180 pills. There's never been a problem with that, so why would there be a problem getting 360 or, if twice a day, 720?

That's a lot of pills, lol.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:15 AM

309 posts, read 408,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Lots of people do if it's outside the "drugs & surgery" paradigm.
One of the worst habits the modern society pick up is believing the doctors are the experts in your health.

There is no health nor care in today's "healthcare" system. All the pharmaceutical and doctors want to do is to get you hooked on drugs. Plain and simple consumerism in the worst form.

This is a frugal forum, what is frugal is to be your own health's true advocate, not succumbing to those whose intention is to make you dependent on their toxic products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or