U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 07:04 AM

11,751 posts, read 16,499,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Baloney. Pretty much all Tier 1 and Tier 2 prescriptions are for 1 year. Your bottles/packages will show how many refills you have left before your year is up. I've never asked for more than 90 days at a time.

I would think if you give them advance notice so they have the drugs on hand, getting more than 90 would not be a problem. After all, if you take a med twice a day and get a 90 day supply, that's 180 pills. There's never been a problem with that, so why would there be a problem getting 360 or, if twice a day, 720?

That's a lot of pills, lol.
Nobody is talking about the number of pills. Generally those maintenance prescriptions get filled up to 90 days then a refill kicks in. Insurances normally do not pay over that period. The number of world travelers away from civilization over 90 days is rather limited
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 03:33 PM

6,336 posts, read 8,018,001 times
The cheapest price I've found on prescription meds was a tip a friend in Australia gave me recently. Online pharmacies (like the one she uses "AllDayPharmacy" which is in India) allow you to order without a 'script and they have some, but not all, of the most common prescribed meds. I did a comparison with meds I currently take and the cost using an online pharmacy, out of the country, would be over 60% less from the copay I currently pay for generics, even factoring in shipping/handling charges. Same quality of meds, some of the same manufacturers. Anyway, worth for the frugal-minded to check out.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:34 PM

24,761 posts, read 26,857,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily Pad View Post
One of the worst habits the modern society pick up is believing the doctors are the experts in your health.

There is no health nor care in today's "healthcare" system. All the pharmaceutical and doctors want to do is to get you hooked on drugs. Plain and simple consumerism in the worst form.

This is a frugal forum, what is frugal is to be your own health's true advocate, not succumbing to those whose intention is to make you dependent on their toxic products.
Yep. Spot on

We're going to have to learn these truths soon. We simply can't afford our healthcare system as it is...and simply creating a socialized medical system (i.e. paying for it all with tax dollars after people get sick) doesn't fix any of the underlying philosophy of our health system (i.e. give people drugs & surgeries after they get sick from living unhealthy lifestyles).

Most doctors get practically no training whatsoever on basic nutrition. All most of them ever get is training for drugs & surgery.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:55 AM

1,247 posts, read 1,785,351 times
Whether or not your health plan pays for prescriptions or you do, you can save money by ordering online and not going to a "brick and mortar" pharmacy. In addition, you can take what they call "half pills" as it is cheaper for pharmaceutical companies to cast fifty 20 mg. pills over one hundred 10 mg. pills.

If you are taking 10 mg. per day, for instance, you have to cut a 20 mg. pill in half. This does entail some extra work, but you can make it fun by building your own "Pill Guillotine", read off a list of Aristocratic crimes the pill has committed in French, have a drumroll and crowd cheer recording playing in background, and pull the rope.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:49 PM

491 posts, read 573,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Whether or not your health plan pays for prescriptions or you do, you can save money by ordering online and not going to a "brick and mortar" pharmacy. In addition, you can take what they call "half pills" as it is cheaper for pharmaceutical companies to cast fifty 20 mg. pills over one hundred 10 mg. pills.

If you are taking 10 mg. per day, for instance, you have to cut a 20 mg. pill in half. This does entail some extra work, but you can make it fun by building your own "Pill Guillotine", read off a list of Aristocratic crimes the pill has committed in French, have a drumroll and crowd cheer recording playing in background, and pull the rope.
I haven't seen this work at least 20 years, if not more. It would require the Dr to write the scrip for 20mg caps, label it as 1 per day and tell you to cut them in 1/2 but not record it as such. The Dr isn't going to be willing to risk it if you didn't cut the pill in half and took 20 mg. The legal ramifications are to great.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:59 PM

9,172 posts, read 6,359,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
I didn't know Dr. would write a prescription for a 365 day supply of medication.
Many doctors write prescriptions for drugs taken on a long term basis (such as for hypertension, diabetes and other chronic conditions) for 90 days with 3 refills, which essentially is a year's supply. I've never tried it, but perhaps one could prevail on a pharmacy to fill all the refills at the same time the first prescription is filled.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:07 PM

27,319 posts, read 11,428,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Many doctors write prescriptions for drugs taken on a long term basis (such as for hypertension, diabetes and other chronic conditions) for 90 days with 3 refills, which essentially is a year's supply. I've never tried it, but perhaps one could prevail on a pharmacy to fill all the refills at the same time the first prescription is filled.
I tried that once and the answer, at least at CVS is no. You can't renew a prescription until enough time has passed that you have used 85% of the amount prescribed.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:09 PM

27,319 posts, read 11,428,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue View Post
I haven't seen this work at least 20 years, if not more. It would require the Dr to write the scrip for 20mg caps, label it as 1 per day and tell you to cut them in 1/2 but not record it as such. The Dr isn't going to be willing to risk it if you didn't cut the pill in half and took 20 mg. The legal ramifications are to great.
You're correct, I only take one prescription drug, the doc cut the dosage in half and ordered one 12.5 mg tablet daily, the prescription was for 90 days. The pharmacy (Kaiser) filled the prescription with 45 25 mg tablets and gave me a free pill cutter.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:32 PM

2,683 posts, read 2,788,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I tried that once and the answer, at least at CVS is no. You can't renew a prescription until enough time has passed that you have used 85% of the amount prescribed.
It isn't the Pharmacy that makes that rule, it is the insurance company that is paying the bill that won't let you fill a refill until a certain portion is gone. If you are a cash customer you can request a refill when you pick up the prescription.

There are regulatory restrictions on controlled substances where they cannot be refilled (or even have a new prescription filled). In those cases it is usually only a couple days leeway. These are set based on state (and/or) federal laws to reduce the amount of highly addictive drugs.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:39 PM

1,247 posts, read 1,785,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You're correct, I only take one prescription drug, the doc cut the dosage in half and ordered one 12.5 mg tablet daily, the prescription was for 90 days. The pharmacy (Kaiser) filled the prescription with 45 25 mg tablets and gave me a free pill cutter.

O.K.. You've lost me now, Aqua Blue states there's not a snowballs chance anyone is going to get this done, 2sleepy agrees with Aqua, but goes on to state the pharmacy indeed sent a half pill prescription with a cutter... Did I miss something?

And why then is my pharmaceutical supplier as well as those of some of my friends writing/calling us to go the half pill route? I haven't jumped on board yet because I only take one prescription, but friends who take more have and are presently on half pill scripts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or