U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 11:39 AM

201 posts, read 126,182 times

Advertisements

Currently have Fios bundle package-landline, cable, and internet. Would like to get rid of landline and cable and just keep internet. Can this be done without having to pay a telephone bill?

Also, other cheaper options besides Fios?

I have a cell/smart phone so don't feel I need the landline. Also, hardly ever watch TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 12:40 PM

10,863 posts, read 18,892,348 times
Your options will vary locally, so only people who live where you do will know what companies are in your area.

I have only had internet for about ten years now, maybe a bit longer. I pay $60/month for my internet. It goes up once a year, usually an increase of ten dollars a month. We call and ask for a deal and they lower it again. If we hadn't been doing that, it would be really high now.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:54 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,064,397 times
We pay $49/month for Internet only... but I'm sure it varies by location. It seems common enough that most companies should offer it, but the costs might vary widely.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:55 PM

9,003 posts, read 16,128,157 times
You can get Internet Only from Most Cable & Telco as one of the options.

When I lived in Atlanta i had a WiMax service called "Clear" internet (more or less 5G ) But they could not get enough subscribers, and went out of business, That had leased Frequencies from Sprint, who reclaimed it, and ran the service for about two years on there own, before they shut it down and reallocated the frequency spread to their 4G service.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:23 PM

8,880 posts, read 15,639,728 times
You can get Fios internet only through Verizon starting at $49.99/month for 50/50. It looks like the bundle comes with 150/150 internet which is $69.99 by itself. So if you need the faster internet you would only save $10/month dropping the bundle, if you can get by with 50/50 (which is still fast enough for most people) you would save $30/month.

Other options: Local cable/telephone provider, wifi hotspot (available through most cell phone providers), hotspot app for smart phone (provided your data plan would be sufficient for your home internet needs), dedicated satellite internet provider such as Wild blue.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:57 PM

1,133 posts, read 3,177,730 times
We have DSL internet only from Century Link. It's glacier slow 5mbps, fast enough for what we need though, we can stream video ok. We pay $25/mo, but I have to call them to keep that price when the promos run out and the price goes back up.

We use a Google Voice number and an Obi100 box to make free calls over the internet as a "landline."
Then we have cheap Tracfone cell phones to make occasional calls when we are our of the house.
We don't have any sort of cable tv.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:05 PM

2,955 posts, read 3,191,892 times
You can get internet/router through most cable lines or phone lines. Some satellite dishes offer internet access. I use a mobile hotspot through Straighttalk. It's cheap and I can take it anywhere.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:50 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,998,296 times
I'm using a local company called RCN. I was on a promo rate for 30 bucks per month (10 Mbps). Then the rate went up to $40. Called them and got on another promo rate for $35 (25 Mbps). But I was told I won't be eligible for another promo rate after 12 months and it will go up to $60 or whatever the going rate is.

I plan to switch to Comcast as that's our only other option here in Eastern MA. Most companies do this - give you a lower upfront rate and then Jack it up after a year. You have to either call and beg for an extension or cancel for 3 months.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:41 AM

29,723 posts, read 47,507,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
Currently have Fios bundle package-landline, cable, and internet. Would like to get rid of landline and cable and just keep internet.
Our phone company offers dsl using their landline with no phone service for $30/month.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:05 AM

9,068 posts, read 9,225,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
I'm using a local company called RCN. I was on a promo rate for 30 bucks per month (10 Mbps).
We have RCN and they were charging us for $158 for Triple Play in December 2005 when we first got the service. At the time it was 3-5 Mbps no DVR and only standard definition TV. Also no Video on Demand(VOD). They switched to all digital in 2009.Today we still are paying $158 (to go up $6 in January), and we have 50 Mbps Internet, wireless access point, 1 terabyte DVR with 6 tuners, tons of free VOD, and almost every channel is HD, except for the channels that don't offer HD.

We've never had to cancel for 3 months. You do have to call them every few months or every time they announce a rate increase to see what the latest specials are. If you don't pay attention to the bill all the promotional rates can expire and you might get one month with a $70-$80 increase. That usually gets your attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Our phone company offers dsl using their landline with no phone service for $30/month.
Verizon does that in Eastern PA, but only if you already have a voice line which is ridiculously overpriced. They state very clearly "Verizon home phone service required."

A friend of mine has that service and she pays $110-$120 for the phone line and the DSL line (1.5 Mbps). I have tried to convince her that the cable company will sell her 25 Mbps and phone for about $70-$80 per month, but she is afraid to change her verizon e-mail since she has used it for business for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or