U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 11:13 AM

518 posts, read 667,747 times

Advertisements

I know there are other people out there who make a game of money savings. I just wanted to share today's great deals.

First of all I spent some time yesterday going over my needs and making my aldis list. I found 2 more stores near my aldis with good sales.

When I went to aldis this morning the eggs were 59 cents a dozen!!!!! I have never seen them so low. Also, milk was 1.19 a gallon which is beyond low for my area , (burb of baltimore). Spent less than $20 at aldis and then hit up savers.

Savers had Smithfield hams for 89cents a pound. Scored a big one. They also had Jamestown sausage for 1.50 a sleeve. Then off to giant foods for a free pizza with Stromboli purchase. Also, Perdue roaster chickens at 99 cents per pound- got 2.

Hope you have similar bargains going on near you. Last year I found the time after Christmas and before Feb 1 to be the meat stock up time. Whoop whoop!!!! I estimate my total expenditure this am to be under $55 which is pretty darn good if I do say so myself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 02:13 PM

13,392 posts, read 42,738,435 times
I usually get some good deals at Winco - they are a western chain so you probably don't have them back east - I can't quote you any prices but by and large, they have decent to great prices on all sorts of groceries.

For the last few months, I have been buying a 6-carrier of Lindeman's Cabernet wine at Safeway for just under $5 per bottle. This is an Australian wine that normally retails for about $10 per bottle. On and off Safeway will beat Winco on certain items. But to fill the whole order, Winco is likely to win most of the time on price.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:25 PM

10,153 posts, read 13,849,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantress View Post
I know there are other people out there who make a game of money savings. I just wanted to share today's great deals.

First of all I spent some time yesterday going over my needs and making my aldis list. I found 2 more stores near my aldis with good sales.

When I went to aldis this morning the eggs were 59 cents a dozen!!!!! I have never seen them so low.
You may not have Harris Teeter but Eggland's Best are 49 cents with coupon and rebate. We rarely buy that brand but the deal gives you a chance.

Eggland's Best $1.99
save $0.55/1 Eggland's Best Eggs and stack with $0.50/1 Checkout 51 Rebate
Final Price: $0.49

We got two Edwards Pies for $1.60 each. Retail $6.19 at Publix, buy one get one free sale = $3.10 less $1.50/1 coupon = $1.60 each. Otherwise we do not get to try that brand.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:28 PM

We don't have winco and they don't sell wine in the grocery store, dammit.
I do love me some red wine. Cooking one of the roaster with garlic slivers under the skin, a drizzle of olive oil and some Italian style seasonings....

Old 12-28-2016, 03:30 PM

Good deals Howard555 ! I don't have any of you all's stores, why is that?

Old 12-28-2016, 06:41 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,608,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
You may not have Harris Teeter but Eggland's Best are 49 cents with coupon and rebate. We rarely buy that brand but the deal gives you a chance.

Eggland's Best $1.99
save $0.55/1 Eggland's Best Eggs and stack with $0.50/1 Checkout 51 Rebate
Final Price: $0.49

We got two Edwards Pies for $1.60 each. Retail $6.19 at Publix, buy one get one free sale = $3.10 less $1.50/1 coupon = $1.60 each. Otherwise we do not get to try that brand.
I love Harris Teeter and their sales! Unfortunately Kroger bought the Nashville area stores a couple of years ago and opened several new Kroger stores.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:31 PM

33,046 posts, read 20,726,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I usually get some good deals at Winco - they are a western chain so you probably don't have them back east - I can't quote you any prices but by and large, they have decent to great prices on all sorts of groceries.

For the last few months, I have been buying a 6-carrier of Lindeman's Cabernet wine at Safeway for just under $5 per bottle. This is an Australian wine that normally retails for about $10 per bottle. On and off Safeway will beat Winco on certain items. But to fill the whole order, Winco is likely to win most of the time on price.

Winco = Washington, Idaho, Nevada, California, Oregon

Old 12-30-2016, 08:41 AM

1,525 posts, read 3,356,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Winco = Washington, Idaho, Nevada, California, Oregon
They also have locations in Arizona, Texas, and Utah.

Winco is awesome for their bulk section alone. I hate how most grocery stores only offer expensive organic stuff in their bulk bins. I don't want or need that most of the time. Winco is so awesome in that it offers so many cheap conventional items along with organics, if you want, in their bulk bins.

Aldi is OK, but they have no locations in WA right now.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:04 PM

11,706 posts, read 16,457,103 times
Kroger's weekly buy 1 get 1 can be awesome bargains.

Sprouts: marzipan .55, almond paste .99 reduced from 5.50. Both freeze well and add that little extra to pie crusts and streusel.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:48 PM

603 posts, read 838,819 times
I just checked out the meat section in my local grocery store and the prices on those expensive Smithfield hams are ridiculously low -- they are just trying to unload all the extra from the Christmas inventory. If you get one of the spiral hams I have successfully frozen slices -- I double wrap them well in foil and then put in tupperware. I make scalloped potatoes with ham, ham biscuits, potato soup with ham, ham loaf and finally split pea or navy bean soup. It is amazing how many meals you can get from one of those hams!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or