U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 10:07 PM

4,674 posts, read 4,580,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I'm going to ramen noodle my way to prosperity.
How did I miss this thread and this post? Damn CD won't let me rep you... too many times already!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 10:09 PM

4,674 posts, read 4,580,073 times
My goal in 2017 is (was) to save $100k in various accounts. We're on track still (actually above by $1500), but the goal is starting to wear on me. There is still a lot of 2017 left...

Old 03-25-2017, 11:02 PM

8,213 posts, read 9,093,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I upped my savings in emergency fund and 403b, and put myself on a certain budget for food every month, and little to no CC spending. Also lowered my car ins as my car is 14yrs old. I want o retire in 1 1/2yr so I want to really live well under my income.

On another note... I have stopped going out to eat. Only went out about once a month to dinner but now I go every few months. I hadn't been out to dinner in a few months and went out the other night and was shocked at the increased prices. This is also on another thread in Personal Finance. I literally spent twice as much as I had anticipated. Yes, the food was good but great? No. So, I've had to rethink this. I was planning to go out in April to try another new restaurant in the area but it seems to blow my budget.

What do others do?

I quit eating out a long time ago. On the rare occasion that I do now, and usually because someone else wants to, I'm generally disappointed. With the food mostly. And, yes, the prices are crazy! The same breakfast I used to get for $4.95 is now $7.50 and doesn't even taste as good. The last two times I ate out it was at places I used to go to somewhat frequently because they were good. Not so much now. I'd rather eat at home than feel I wasted money on something I didn't really like.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:13 AM

14,072 posts, read 20,136,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Cut the cord! I have more to watch between Hulu Netflix and Prime than I did with cable. And a $10 indoor antenna - I rarely use that but some shows I remember to turn on as they are airing.
Trust me, if I could I would but the bf will not allow it. We're going over everything Wednesday because this is crazy how much we pay for that tv bill

Old 03-26-2017, 08:31 AM

4,328 posts, read 4,425,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
My goal in 2017 is (was) to save $100k in various accounts. We're on track still (actually above by $1500), but the goal is starting to wear on me. There is still a lot of 2017 left...
That's awesome! $100k is a ton!

I missed it too. Our goal is to max out both 401ks, our HSAs, and our Roth IRAs. With matches we should be saving as much as we spend this year.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:13 AM

1,711 posts, read 3,567,121 times
1. Continue maxing out 401k
2. Pay-off student loans
3. Pay off all debt except for mortgage and car lease
4. Contribute $10k to each of my two kids' 529 plans
5. Add a little more to my emergency fund

Old 03-26-2017, 12:31 PM

369 posts, read 206,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post

On another note... I have stopped going out to eat. Only went out about once a month to dinner but now I go every few months. I hadn't been out to dinner in a few months and went out the other night and was shocked at the increased prices. This is also on another thread in Personal Finance. I literally spent twice as much as I had anticipated. Yes, the food was good but great? No. So, I've had to rethink this. I was planning to go out in April to try another new restaurant in the area but it seems to blow my budget.

What do others do?

This may sound blasphemous in a frugal living thread, but if you enjoy eating out now and then and can do it without going into debt, I say go and have fun! Life is too short to not do something if we truly enjoy it and are able to pay for it.

You can even plan your strategy for eating out on a budget. Looking up menus online beforehand should give you an idea of what you can buy that won't break the bank. If you're really worried, order only an entree, which is usually so big you'll have enough to take home for another meal, along with a glass of water with lemon. Skip the extras like appetizers, soups, desserts, and expensive drinks. Or, just get an appetizer and a drink. As long as you put your money toward whatever is most important to you and not get a little of everything, you'll should be fine budget wise.

If you do go, don't spend your time thinking, "I shouldn't be doing this." Relax and have a good time!

Old 03-28-2017, 06:28 AM

14,072 posts, read 20,136,656 times
Well I just paid off all my cc's this am. Feels so freeeeeeeeeeeee

Old 03-28-2017, 12:32 PM

4,215 posts, read 4,434,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Well I just paid off all my cc's this am. Feels so freeeeeeeeeeeee
Isn't that a wonderful feeling!!! Good for you.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:52 PM

1,008 posts, read 525,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
So far, I have kept my promise to myself to put my paycheck into savings every month and just live off what we get for my husband. I don't even think about it -- as soon as it lands in my checking account, out it goes to the savings account.
I would love to do this but I'm a big sports fan and it constitutes probably 60-70% of my TV viewing. I really look forward to the day where all of the sports networks offer streaming services!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or