U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 05:31 AM

3,463 posts, read 1,983,736 times

Advertisements

We are embarking on adding to our savings, as we are getting older and want to beef up our savings for retirement..

I already have Directed Deposit of portions of our incomes deposited directly into savings accounts, or the money market account, where it sits until there is enough to invest elsewhere.

I also do "manual" savings as well.

This year the goal is to add yet another "manual" {I do it myself, not automatic} savings of another 10% of net deposits into another savings account with the idea it never gets touched, and will remain "safe", so it will most likely go into CDs.

That means we will probably have to cut out something more....like fewer "BBQ gatherings" this summer, one or two less day trips or weekend getaways, cut out trips using gas, or the like.

SO what is your NEW Money Savings goal for this coming 2017 year?

DO you think you can "stick with it" all year and NOT break your New Year's resolution??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 06:22 PM

3,270 posts, read 1,944,916 times
I increased my contribution to my 401(k) and I told my husband we are going to try living without my salary this year; i.e., my check will go directly to savings. We'll see how it goes. I think we can do it.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:46 AM

1,525 posts, read 3,355,712 times
Tax advantaged accounts: upped husband's 401k contribution for 2017, kept mine the same, will max out Roths for 2017 next week, and have the HSA set to max out again for 2017.

Taxable accounts: I'm about half way done saving for our next trip to Hawai'i in November. After I am done with that at the end of January, plan on start doing some taxable investing, and start thinking about our next big vacation for 2018.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I increased my contribution to my 401(k) and I told my husband we are going to try living without my salary this year; i.e., my check will go directly to savings. We'll see how it goes. I think we can do it.
That would be excellent! Living on one salary,if possible is grand. Best of luck to you in accomplishing your goal.

That is a future goal we have. MOH works two jobs and I have one income, sometimes two. It would be SO nice to live on just two or three of the three or four incomes. We are working on it.

Our new mortgage is on accelerated payoff, once that is done, perhaps we can. We will have a 30 year mortgage paid off in about 3-3.5 years!!

Old 12-30-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
Tax advantaged accounts: upped husband's 401k contribution for 2017, kept mine the same, will max out Roths for 2017 next week, and have the HSA set to max out again for 2017.

Taxable accounts: I'm about half way done saving for our next trip to Hawai'i in November. After I am done with that at the end of January, plan on start doing some taxable investing, and start thinking about our next big vacation for 2018.

We are hoping to return to Hawai'i Next Sept {'17}, but looks more like April or September of '18.
We go on a "big vacation" every 3-5 years, but since buying the new house and attempting to pay off a 30 year mortgage in less than 5 years, it takes priority, then we can plan any vacation easier for every 2-3 years, MAYBE.
It depends, we will be LQQKING for a retirement house in Georgia to rent out until we actually need to use it later one, another mortgage we will want to accelerate payoff on.

We are ramping up to have a great retirement so we can then travel all we want a little later on.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:48 PM

3,674 posts, read 5,852,907 times
Every penny I can!!!

Will be getting a very good job offer this week (just waiting for the background check and the boss is working on getting me the high end of the salary range), after being a parental caretaker for 2.5 years and some bad years before that.

Already have drafted up a budget based on a low-end offer that will just need to be tweeked if the salary is more than I budgeted for.

Looking forward to re-building my retirement savings and emergency savings accounts.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:55 PM

9,284 posts, read 4,739,931 times
I'm going to ramen noodle my way to prosperity.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:01 PM

343 posts, read 256,179 times
After a horrific year trading stocks, beginning 2017 I will be "saving" my financial future from what could be its worst enemy: me!

I am buying four secondary market annuities paying an average IRR of 4.1% that should cover my living expenses into my early 70's. One of them pays out with a 3% COLA for 22 years, so it will nicely supplement my SS when I start to draw it in ten years. I turn 61 9/2017 and am retired.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:52 PM

28,213 posts, read 2,199,762 times
To stop buying impulse foods items & to stick to my food/household budget of $250 per month for the two of us. Pet food not included. We are retired so cooking is something to do

Old 01-01-2017, 07:10 PM

3,270 posts, read 1,944,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
That would be excellent! Living on one salary,if possible is grand. Best of luck to you in accomplishing your goal.

That is a future goal we have. MOH works two jobs and I have one income, sometimes two. It would be SO nice to live on just two or three of the three or four incomes. We are working on it.

Our new mortgage is on accelerated payoff, once that is done, perhaps we can. We will have a 30 year mortgage paid off in about 3-3.5 years!!

Having the house paid off is a great feeling! Good luck to you with that goal. Now if I could just figure out how to avoid paying property taxes... LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or