Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 09:15 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,406,804 times

Advertisements

No cable tv, only home internet. We got enough over the air signals + Hulu, Netflix, YouTube on TV to keep us entertained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 09:22 AM

1,225 posts, read 628,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
I re-use toilet paper.
I keep a spittoon nearby, so I never run out of saliva. Cut my water bill down to nothing!

Last edited by maiden_fern; 01-02-2017 at 09:40 AM..

Old 01-02-2017, 02:57 PM

1,166 posts, read 872,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
If you quit smoking whatever it is you are smoking, you'd save even more money......

Just saying....

I quit 11 years ago and due to immense amount of stress, I started again as MOH never did really quit, but hid it form me, or so thought. FInally in an effort to avoid killing something or someone I said give me a cigarette, I know you've got them. Problem is with both of us back to smoking I figured we were spending about $700/m blowing smoke. I've quit again, DOn't think MOH has, as I can SMELL IT ON HIM.

There's a good $500-600 saving per month for 2017! and $700 IF MOH would REALLY QUIT.

just saying....
I know that quitting smoking would save me money (I smoke a pack a day of marlboro reds) but smoking is the one guilty pleasure I have (aside from drinking a few beers every now and then) and I find it enjoyable, so I have no plans of quitting anytime soon. I also rolled my own cigarettes for a time, but I didn't like the taste of them or all the hassle so I said the hell with it and started smoking Marbs again.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:41 PM

91 posts, read 109,272 times
There's a good $500-600 saving per month for 2017! and $700 IF MOH would REALLY QUIT.

what is a MOH ???????

Old 01-02-2017, 08:05 PM

32,846 posts, read 36,153,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbaby View Post

what is a MOH ???????
Ministry of Health, Maid of Honor... My other half.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:34 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times
let's just say I am not a cheap as my step mother was: she used to fill the bathtub in the main bathroom with paper towel and Tp she got on sale. It served 2 purposes, the big one: she knew people who visited would not waste water cause there was no place to take a bath.She also, among many other things, when eating in a Mexican restaurant would carry her little plastic bag and when someone at a near by table would leave she would quickly go to the table and fill her bag with any left over chips that were still in a basket. That is cheap!!! She never used the micro cause she kept it filled with the little trays meat comes in and rare used the dish washer; it was for storing plastic bags. She used the same dish water for a couple of days, just adding a little hot water to it each time she did dishes.

As for me, I really am not cheap but like my dad, save on some things, waste on others: I do not buy many clothes and when I do I buy only on sale and usually already marked down once or twice: I grocery shop as carefully as possible, buying off brands and checking prices as several stores. I do pay attention the how much gas I will be using to do my shopping and make sure I run as many errands at once. I think a lot of people do this. Sometimes you can waste more gas going from store to store than you save on the groceries. I also reuse zip lock bags and I buy in bulk even if I know some of what I buy might go to waste: I figure out what the cost would be. An example; I got 3 libs of sweet potatoes for .79 last week at Aldi's. Yes, they were not all really good and I had to cut pieces out of them, but I still saved over the .79 cents a lb at almost all our markets. I also do a lot of shopping on line as long as I do not have to pay shipping. I also do price matching if I am going to Walmart.

As for things like heating the house, to me comfort does come before saving a buck here and there. We are careful, so not waste energy but we do not freeze in winter or roast in summer. I use my toaster oven almost always instead of the oven.

We have cell phones but they are pretty old and hubby doesn't even text. It costs extra to subscribe to texting: I do text.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:02 AM

684 posts, read 436,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
I will list some examples of some of the ways I save money on things:

3. I only eat 2 meals a day instead of 3. I'm not hungry first thing in the morning, and
only eating two meals helps me maintain my weight, and saves money of course.

4. I don't own a cell phone.

5. All of my clothes are at least 3 years old, some close to 10.

6. My car is 15 years old, had it for over 5 years now, and paid cash for it, so no car payments. It also gets 30 mpg in the city so that's also a plus.

7. I would rather fix things than buy something new.
Ditto.
Also work from home, & either grow foods, or shop at Outlet-stores. Winter heat kept to 58.
Even better, belong to organizations with members sharing seeds, plus veggie + Fruit plants

Further NO's: alcohol, cable, cigarettes, all drugs (unless rarely life-saving ABO's), almost all medical practitioners, etc.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:26 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,680,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
I also wear my clothes multiple times to save on doing laundry, and in the wintertime I vent my dryer inside the house and plug up the hole going outside to help save on my heating bill.

I put my car in neutral (it's a stick) and let it coast to stop lights/signs to make my brakes last longer and improve my fuel economy by not doing jackrabbit starts and stops. I only run my cars A/C when going 40 mph or above to increase my mpg.

How do you not get lint flying all around from the dryer venting into the house?

I do the same thing with my car. It also saves on the clutch because you're not riding the clutch (like some people do) at stop lights.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:36 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,103,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbaby View Post

what is a MOH ???????
I am going to guess it means ether Man On Hand or My Other Half.

Old 01-05-2017, 05:01 PM

1,166 posts, read 872,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
How do you not get lint flying all around from the dryer venting into the house?

They actually sell an inside dryer vent with a screen on the front and a flap that either lets air in the house or blows it outside. In the winter I shove a plastic bag in the outside vent to keep the cold air out and only vent it in the house. Obviously I send it outside in the summer lol.

I do the same thing with my car. It also saves on the clutch because you're not riding the clutch (like some people do) at stop lights.
s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living