U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 08:30 AM

3,336 posts, read 1,997,186 times

Advertisements

Besides, what does this thread have to do with being frugal? Essentially, it is a rant/vent about perceived rudeness of a store clerk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 09:27 AM

3,137 posts, read 1,645,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Besides, what does this thread have to do with being frugal? Essentially, it is a rant/vent about perceived rudeness of a store clerk.
I was shopping a clearance sale and got attitude for it from a store employee. So yes it does relate to being frugal. I've been disrespected in the past by store clerks when they thought or knew I was wanting to buy clearance items. It is an issue with bargain shopping. Sometimes it's very subtle, but I do pick up on the attitude. Just because someone isn't buying stuff at full price doesn't mean the store clerk can treat them like ****.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:54 AM

8,884 posts, read 15,755,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
No excuse. Clerks are ruder nowadays.

And shoppers aren't?

Old 01-02-2017, 01:15 PM

3,137 posts, read 1,645,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
And shoppers aren't?
Yes, they can be.

However, in this case, I wasn't being rude. I was minding my own business. It was the store clerk that tried to provoke something. Now if I had initiated some rant about something, I could understand getting some kind of cheeky response back.

But she was the instigator here.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:42 PM

22,960 posts, read 22,015,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
And that's not really my problem. It's hers.

Not my issue.
But you've made it your problem.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:55 PM

2,073 posts, read 1,955,875 times
OP, I think you should approach the store manager. If I experience an especially troubling encounter with a clerk, I generally privately speak to the manager. I will usually begin by stressing that "I don't want anyone fired, but I am telling you this so that perhaps you can make her aware of how she was perceived by a customer so that she can improve"...something like that.

Unless, of course, the clerk was rude enough that you DO want him/her to be fired!

Old 01-02-2017, 02:20 PM

10,010 posts, read 4,920,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
And shoppers aren't?
This person has not done anything yet. My comment came for years working with customers. I was trained that customers were always right. Remember, you want customers to buy something. If they are being unreasonable, some do, you have to be the one that explains to them, not argue with them.

But this generation of customer service people are just rude and ruder. Not just in the shop, I don't shop anymore, but over the phone and such.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:50 PM

18 posts, read 6,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
OP, I think you should approach the store manager. If I experience an especially troubling encounter with a clerk, I generally privately speak to the manager. I will usually begin by stressing that "I don't want anyone fired, but I am telling you this so that perhaps you can make her aware of how she was perceived by a customer so that she can improve"...something like that.

Unless, of course, the clerk was rude enough that you DO want him/her to be fired!
I don't want her to get fired, but my guess is that she won't last long there anyway. I probably won't go back to that store again for a while...and when I go back, she'll probably be gone. They have a few regular people that have worked there for a long time and they've always been very polite. This person was new.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:01 PM

11,484 posts, read 19,563,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
And that's not really my problem. It's hers.

Not my issue.
Well...after the umpteenth person screamed about thinking every single thing was 75% off, she maybe took it up herself....or may have been told to walk through and let customers know.

Two sides to this coin. I get you're upset, but maybe she was having a worse day and a little compassion might have been warranted.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:16 PM

3,582 posts, read 2,046,227 times
Tassity22:

Maybe she had a bad day. There is an old Native American saying "Great Spirit, grant that I may not criticize my neighbor until I have walked a mile in his moccasins".

ARe you ACTUALLY going to have me believe YOU have never been rude to another soul for any reason, EVER?

I have spent my career working two types of jobs: retail, all aspects {except management, but DOES include being supervisor}, and cooking in restaurants.

If you HAVE NOT worked in retail OR restaurants, I suggest YOU try it for just ONE MONTH, you will have MORE THAN ENOUGH sympathy for store clerks or restaurant staff. Especially Nov. 15 to Jan 2, any given year. You will see the WORST you CAN and CAN'T imagine of people!!!!

THAT is where you find the RUDEST of customers and people on any given day. That old "the CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT" bit was surely written by a customer {or a man who wanted to DESPERATELY sell something-anything to ANYBODY during the depression} and NOTICE you don't see those signs up anymore! THAT is because the customer is usually the wrongest of all!

CUSTOMERS have even SPIT on clerks, punched them in the face, defecated in aisles, pissed in aisles and even worse when NOT happy about paying for something OR try returning something they bought and couldn't afford, wore once to a function {think Christmas or New Years}, have lost the receipt for and soiled and WANT A FULL immediate refund. IN cash when they paid by Credit card. EVER READ the return policy nowadays on the back of receipts? it's a mile long to cover all these eventualities.

Customers think something for $49.99 OUGHT to be only $1.98 and that is all they are willing to pay. However they will TRY to twist things to get it.

Customers PAY NO ATTENTION to EXPIRATION DATES on coupons OR SALES. EVEN WHEN THE SIGN has it printed on it, OR the coupon has it on it.

THINK the black Friday MOB tramplings you see on the TV NEWS....happens for almost any sale item in DEMAND. That is NOT A RARITY, it is a REALITY when something is really on sale cheap.

When I was receiving supervisor, it was my job to deliver backstock of bulk items {think patio sets, wicker sets, smaller furniture cash and carry} out the back door for delivery TO THEIR CAR, you'd be amazed at how they would show up in a YUGO or a PINTO or A MINI COOPER and want ME to figure out how to get 4 patio chairs, a 4'x8' glass top table, 2 chaise lounges and a large table umbrella into their car! As i used to say when they'd say "How do you suggest we load this?" {you may call it RUDE} I'd say "that, ma'am, is why I OWN A PICKUP TRUCK".
GUESS how many people thought I SHOULD DELIVER IT FOR FREE TO THEIR HOUSE IN MY PERSONAL PICKUP {AND NOOOOO, we didn't have delivery service, it's CASH AND CARRY}. I didn't even have to say the "pickup" line and they didn't have to know I owned one, to be asked if I could somehow deliver it to their house.

Restaurant people want it cooked they "way my mother made it" or "like I'd make it myself"...then GO TO YOUR MOTHER {may mine rest in peace} or MAKE IT YOURSELF, don't come to my restaurant and tell me how I should have cooked it. OR get a job cooking here so you can 'SHOW EVERYONE how it is done".
What THEY want "medium" is really RARE for cooking, or they order medium well when they really want it burned to a crisp.
ANd when the FOOD is "wrong", they blame the waitstaff, when it is a KITCHEN problem.

SO next time, SMILE and nod and say "thank you"...it MIGHT just have CHANGED her attitude on what for her was a harrowing day!!!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living