U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2017, 04:18 PM

11,650 posts, read 5,497,943 times

Advertisements

I don't want to pay to fix the problem of my washer fluid leaking out after one use. so I have a gallon jug of water, turn on the wipers, and presto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 07:56 PM

3,219 posts, read 1,495,745 times
Default Try this.

Duck tape.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:32 AM

22,767 posts, read 21,813,668 times
Or butyl tape.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:19 PM

3,485 posts, read 1,995,383 times
LOL @ the OP:

I had a vehicle once that I had a whole rigamarole to get and keep going:

1}hot wire the fan to the battery

2}Add one pint power steering fluid

3} add one quart of oil

4} start engine, if it would, sometimes taking a couple tries.

5} BUNGEE cord the passenger door closed to the center console to keep it from swinging open when you turned left.

6} roll down all windows, yes even on rainy days.

7} turn heat on high, no matter how hot the day was, on defrost was least likely to toast you out

8} TAPE with duct tape the gearshift button down to change to gear

9}hold turn signal while it operated

10}coast and break carefully

11} add 1/2 bottle of premixed antifreeze each week

12] reverse most processes when I arrived at destination.

It was the vehicle i could afford.

One day at work, the manager asked if another employee could borrow my car to go to another store to pick something up, and I said "if my {minivan} goes, SO DO I, you won't believe what I have to do to drive it."

FOr those who have followed my posts, this was in the late 90's after being homeless {with no car} and living under a bridge near the RR tracks, and before the emergency $10,000.02 operation, when i worked two part time minimum wage jobs one early morning, one late at night with only 4 hours between them in the afternoon and overnight.

But hey, I was in heaven!!!! I had a vehicle, a roof I could call my own { a cheap 1 br "cottage" it was called that was really run down, old and very drafty, and had only 1 kerosene heater room heater for heat and an electric heater for the BR/carry to bath when you used it.} and was working!!!! I fully furnished the cottage with curbside cast-offs picked up on garbage night !!

Ah hte fond memories of the"good old days".....
not.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:48 PM

1,046 posts, read 548,683 times
galaxyhi, that was priceless to read!

We just fixed an a/c fan in a truck. We'd fixed it 3 times and gave up putting money into parts because we couldn't figure out what was causing the problem with the switch. Probably a very very pricey board part inside the dash (you haven't lived till you've taken one of those apart). So we got an automotive switch, bypassed the other and now have a funky looking odd switch on the bottom part of the dash - which works and the a/c comes on!

I've given up on the windshield washer in my car, we've fixed it several times. I carry a bottle of window cleaner.

For that matter, I've given up fixing the dings and dents. It isn't worth the price.

Just put nice outdoor fabric patch over part of the head liner which has begun to shred and shed foam. DH says he's too busy to help redo the whole head liner. Hey, patches used to be ok on our jeans growing up, it's great on a headliner too. At least I matched the color!

Old 01-04-2017, 08:55 PM

274 posts, read 158,021 times
If I happen to get those big, pleated tea bags(Like Lipton), I keep the used one on a plate on the kitchen counter, then use it twice more to make a cup of tea.

I also wash out ziploc food storage bags, and use them again. Keep doing it unless the bag gets stained, worn, or had meat in it.

I do this at missusjimmy's behest, but I've gotten used to it and it's no longer a bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living