U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 03:49 PM

603 posts, read 839,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Does the powder dissolve in cold water? I've never tried it, just assumed it wouldn't.

Yes -- it does for me. Although I guess you could turn on the warm for 1 minute to make sure it dissolves and then switch the knob to cold. I wash sheets and towels in hot water -- just my obsession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 11:34 PM

936 posts, read 1,219,923 times
I make my own laundry soap:

3 Tablespoons borax
3 Tablespoons washing soda
3 Tablespoons of Meyers liquid soap
Put in one gallon jug (donated by neighbors who buy in bulk at Costco), add some hot water to dissolve borax and soda, fill up with cold water leaving enough room to add the liquid soap (anything you like will work, one of my neighbors uses Dawn). Shake and let sit overnight. Shake again and good to go.

I can buy all of the ingredients above for less than $10 and it lasts a long time with only 3 adults. I make two gallons at a time and a gallon lasts us about 8 weeks.

I have used this for over 10 years in my top loader and now my front loader. We're on a septic and our service guy says we have less sludge since we are not using powdered detergents ( inert ingredients that do not dissolve but necessary to keep product from clumping)and less soap overall.

I have a daughter who worked on fish docks all day and a husband who is a retired mechanic. 1/4 cup per load gets their clothes clean and fresh. I use much less since I work in an office and my clothes barely get dirty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living