U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 05:34 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,494,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
That person's diet is not appetizing at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 10:54 PM

28,078 posts, read 2,192,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
That person's diet is not appetizing at all.
No it did not however, it was only her first week, & she said it would have more veg the next week.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:30 AM

1,346 posts, read 1,003,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
No it did not however, it was only her first week, & she said it would have more veg the next week.
It's going to take something other then more vegetables to make that menu appetizing.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:16 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,494,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
It's going to take something other then more vegetables to make that menu appetizing.
I agree. That was plain nasty and would lead to binging.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:05 AM

69,258 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I hate judging people but some of the responses I find are borderline fanatical.

Unless a person is seriously strapped for cash, I personally find $50 a week on the low side. Now I live in a high COL, but I don't think food prices are that much cheaper elsewhere.

Everyone is different, so it's hard to say what it should cost. But unless some people don't eat meat or seafood, I find it hard to believe that a person can eat healthy with variety and TASTE GOOD for less than 50 a week.

Sure some people have small appetites and need only two meals a day, never eat out, and buy food only on sale and in bulk, and don't need meat or seafood, but it's probably in the minority.

Normal average couples probably spend 50 a week just eating out for dinner for ONE MEAL.

This type of thread depresses me in what people will do to scrimp and save money.
wow you and I feel the same. I think it is important to shop wisely and try to keep the food bills down but the OP didn't ask for ways to cut back, he wanted to know if he was spending too much? I think this is simply a matter of what one can afford and how one wants to spend their money. We are on a fixed income or as I choose to say: broken, as it isn't near what it was when we were still employed. We do not eat out often,, we do not buy a lot of clothes, we do not take fantastic vacations like we did in years past. I do shop wisely as I have said, but we like to eat a variety of foods, mostly fresh, love out seafood and yes, our red meat a few times a week, plus our wine is our drink of choice in the evening.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:49 AM

7,275 posts, read 15,279,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I scrimp & save & cook good food. Tonight it is chicken pot pie with leftover chicken. I save money on our budget so we can travel the world.

This year we will be in Ireland for 3 weeks, & next year it will either be France or Africa. Don't be depressed for me
Which is the difference between being frugal and being cheap. A frugal person tightly prioritizes spending so they can get maximum utility from the things on the top of the priority list. The cheap person cuts costs for the sake of cutting costs and won't spend money on stuff they'd genuinely enjoy doing that would come at a very modest cost.

Signed,

Just booked a two week ramble through the UK with a trip budget we feel very comfortable with.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:56 AM

4,903 posts, read 2,767,024 times
If I were single I could and in the past have eaten on way less than $50 a week. I could certainly spend much more with no problem.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:03 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,045,500 times
I spend about 70 each week but it does include air filters, for the ac and at times mops etc .

Also one week I do skip the store also-

Old 01-22-2017, 03:57 PM

4,215 posts, read 4,434,111 times
Maybe this was stated but I assume this $50.00 does not include toiletries or paper products. If so, $50.00 a week, 200.00 a month, is kind of easy to do with eating fairly well.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:53 PM

18,972 posts, read 10,032,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow you and I feel the same. I think it is important to shop wisely and try to keep the food bills down but the OP didn't ask for ways to cut back, he wanted to know if he was spending too much? I think this is simply a matter of what one can afford and how one wants to spend their money. We are on a fixed income or as I choose to say: broken, as it isn't near what it was when we were still employed. We do not eat out often,, we do not buy a lot of clothes, we do not take fantastic vacations like we did in years past. I do shop wisely as I have said, but we like to eat a variety of foods, mostly fresh, love out seafood and yes, our red meat a few times a week, plus our wine is our drink of choice in the evening.
Agreed. Yes, someone CAN eat on under $50 per week, but a healthy appealing diet with a variety of good quality fresh foods is going to cost more than that. I am not looking down at anyone who has to scrimp on what they eat out of economic necessity but I don't see spending the least possible amount on food when you don't need to as an inherent good. To me, it's being stingy and self-depriving, not frugal. I consider myself frugal. I cook the large majority of our meals, I bring my lunch to work just about every day, my shopping list is based on what's on sale each week, including stocking up on things that I can freeze. I batch cook so I have leftovers in the freezer most of the time as well.

But none of this is about trying to spend the least possible amount, regardless of the quality and variety of what we eat. It's about maximizing the value I get for the money I put towards our food budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living