U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 05:18 PM

2,298 posts, read 1,675,948 times

Advertisements

I was doing about $40/week but was growing a lot of my vegetables in a garden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 07:23 PM

4,615 posts, read 6,113,536 times
According my Mint.com records, I've been averaging $183 per month for the past five years. This includes groceries and eating out, coffee shops, etc. It does not include paper towels, cleaning, or pet supplies. I am actually surprised it is so low, but I am a small person and only require apprx. 1900 calories per day to maintain my weight, so that isn't a whole lot of food. I eat veggies, fruits, cook at home a lot and eat out a few meals per month. Everything in moderation.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:42 PM

1,401 posts, read 726,187 times
I thought my $100 a month budget for groceries was overdoing it.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:20 AM

1,346 posts, read 1,003,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
I thought my $100 a month budget for groceries was overdoing it.
What is your menu like for $25 a week? Just curious because that seems very low.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:32 PM

1,401 posts, read 726,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
What is your menu like for $25 a week? Just curious because that seems very low.
My monthly staples: pasta, pasta sauces, rice, eggs, ramen noodles, cabbage, onion, potatoes (soup ingredients, plus they last for a while without spoiling), tortilla chips, store-prepared salsa, water at the refill station, canned tuna, a couple of apples, baby carrots, and generic brand Greek yogurt. I also try to add at least one vegetable that perishes quickly.
When supplies are low, I buy beef/chicken/pork for the freezer, bulk sweets (a bag of candy bars or trail mix), cooking oil, seasonings, mayonnaise, tea and coffee.
Then every 3-4 months I buy toiletries and cleaning/laundry supplies that are running out.

I usually shop at Winco where the prices are lower, in exchange for bagging your own groceries.

I thought $100/mo at the grocery store was over-budget for a single person. But it isn't a strict budget, and I'm buying what I like.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:24 PM

1,346 posts, read 1,003,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
My monthly staples: pasta, pasta sauces, rice, eggs, ramen noodles, cabbage, onion, potatoes (soup ingredients, plus they last for a while without spoiling), tortilla chips, store-prepared salsa, water at the refill station, canned tuna, a couple of apples, baby carrots, and generic brand Greek yogurt. I also try to add at least one vegetable that perishes quickly.
When supplies are low, I buy beef/chicken/pork for the freezer, bulk sweets (a bag of candy bars or trail mix), cooking oil, seasonings, mayonnaise, tea and coffee.
Then every 3-4 months I buy toiletries and cleaning/laundry supplies that are running out.

I usually shop at Winco where the prices are lower, in exchange for bagging your own groceries.

I thought $100/mo at the grocery store was over-budget for a single person. But it isn't a strict budget, and I'm buying what I like.
Sounds like you are buying a good variety of food and getting a balanced diet. I wish we had a winco near me.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:51 PM

5,514 posts, read 5,494,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
According my Mint.com records, I've been averaging $183 per month for the past five years. This includes groceries and eating out, coffee shops, etc. It does not include paper towels, cleaning, or pet supplies. I am actually surprised it is so low, but I am a small person and only require apprx. 1900 calories per day to maintain my weight, so that isn't a whole lot of food. I eat veggies, fruits, cook at home a lot and eat out a few meals per month. Everything in moderation.
That's great. I am working on it.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:02 PM

4,615 posts, read 6,113,536 times
I don't think we can always compare our costs with each other directly. How much we eat per day definitely comes into play. (And other factors like cost of food in the area we live, etc).

Using this calorie calculator, I pretended I was a 6'2", 200lb, 30yo male who worked out every day.

I am NOT..... but if that were the case, I would need about 4,300 calories per day to maintain my weight. So that would require a lot more food every month than a smaller person.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:57 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,272,723 times
I try to spend between $75-$150 on groceries and eating out per week. Single male here.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:51 PM

5,242 posts, read 3,393,710 times
For us it's around 50 per person per week at the store. I budget about $500 a month. That includes all non-food items bought at the store like paper towels or cosmetics/toiletries

We're on the west coast where everything's more expensive. It would be 10-35% less in a cheaper locale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living