Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 05:27 PM

926 posts, read 828,578 times

Advertisements

So i've been reading some threads around here and I figured I'd go on a 3-day diet of spending only $25 in total.
I'm 24, I live alone, my salary is 75k and I spend 40k a year, not living above my means, but I think it'd be beneficial to try this thing out.
Any frugally tips anyone wants to share is appreciated.
I feel like i'm on undercover boss lol, instead of trading in a suit for an apron i'm trading in my lobster for a grilled cheese.
I really hope I have a full tank of gas lol, my Audi gets 18/27 mpg so that's about $2 a day on gas.
I also rarely cook for myself, because cooking isn't really my thing.
I'm open to cheap tasty things I can cook on my stove; there is a grill at the complex, but I'd hate to be out there alone at night, so preferably something I can pop on the stove, microwave, or toaster. I do have a refrigerator/freezer combo. I don't really have any ingredients on hand, besides maybe salt, pepper, and butter. Come to think of it, I don't have bread. Also what are some good grocery stores to shop at? On the few occasions I shop at grocery stores it's generally at The Fresh Market or Harris Teeter, both which will run up $25 on a single loaf of bread or a slice of cheese lol. I live adjacent to WalMart and Food lion to give an idea of what kind of grocery stores I am limited to in order to save gasoline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 05:31 PM

133 posts, read 90,526 times
Google extreme couponing. I actually might try that myself. But then again, all the people I see doing that are overweight. Honey Boo Boo's family is one, LOL. Just found that out in mama june's new show they had a scene where they were where they stock their food. LOL. Holy crap.

Walmart is not cheap now. I was excited that new walmart opened walking distance from me. But was disappointed when I came out with 2 grocery bags with a whopping over $100 total!!! WTF.

I would go to Aldi instead if you have it.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:33 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,922,819 times
You really need to get a handle on this cooking thing- who's going to feed your future children?

Old 04-04-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyosa View Post
Google extreme couponing. I actually might try that myself. But then again, all the people I see doing that are overweight. Honey Boo Boo's family is one, LOL. Just found that out in mama june's new show they had a scene where they were where they stock their food. LOL. Holy crap.

Walmart is not cheap now. I was excited that new walmart opened walking distance from me. But was disappointed when I came out with 2 grocery bags with a whopping over $100 total!!! WTF.

I would go to Aldi instead if you have it.
My city has a couple Aldi's but none near me, the closest is 4.1 miles away. I'll try to find some good coupons!

Old 04-04-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
You really need to get a handle on this cooking thing- who's going to feed your future children?
idk, hopefully my future wife, I've cooked for myself maybe twice this year. I generally go to one of those little family owned restaurants that serve plates for $15, very busy restaurants so I might get home faster, more energy to cook something.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:54 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
You can get cheap frozen pizza, I get Totinos for .50c to a buck,each, & use the toaster oven to heat it up. It is not great but it makes a cheap lunch for the two of us. Or you can buy a better brand, it will still be cheaper than eating out, & heating up a frozen item, does not require any cooking skills. Coupons are Ok, if you want to mess with them. What do you want to cook? Maybe start with something really simple. Bacon & eggs are easy & are good for any meal.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:56 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Another "I don't cook" thread......jeez, you people make it sound like some sort of complicated skill.....watch Youtube and follow what they do. Buy the ingredients, have the right pot and you have a meal.....so many restaurants make a fortune because they make simple stuff that people are either too lazy or don't take the time to learn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8QjQL-LWGE

I tell you what, once you get to be middle age, you're going to look like this unless you learn to cook decent nutritious meal and not the processed or fast foods....

Old 04-04-2017, 08:21 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
$25 for three days

Ingredients:
You already have butter, salt and pepper
eggs $2 per dozen
loaf bread $1 (Check out the bread in the deli at Walmart. One thing I like there is the store baked French bread. It has a chewy crust and soft inside. The one flavored 'Everything' is our favorite. You may want basic French bread for this challenge. They have sliced it for me when I've asked. Sometime you find it on their markdown bread for $.50)
lunchmeat $4 or could replace with rotisserie chicken
cheese $3
lettuce $1.50
can tomato soup $1
tomatoes $1
salad dressing $1-1.50
half gallon milk $2
bell pepper $.50
fruit: $4 total -can get apples, bananas for $.33 each, or grapes $.99/lb or maybe pkg. blueberries or strawberries for $2
microwave meal(s) or cheap pizza $2
3 yogurts $1.50

breakfasts:
If you drink coffee, get it from the work machine, where it is cheaper. Drink milk at home.
Day 1: scrambled eggs and toast with butter from the French bread.
Day 2: French toast - basic ingredients are bread, an egg or two, melted butter, spoon sugar, bit cinnamon and dash vanilla. May have to skip vanilla and cinnamon.
Day 3: eggs with bell pepper, cheese and toast with butter from the French bread if any left over.

lunches:
Day 1: grilled cheese and canned tomato soup you doctor up with dab of butter and a bit of cheese plus fruit
Day 2: Sandwich with lunch meat, lettuce, cheese, and salad dressing in place of mayo and mustard plus fruit
Day 3: make something out of leftovers even if it is the same as a previous meal

dinner/supper:
Day 1: Salad with lettuce, lunch meat, tomatoes, cucumbers, cheese and dressing
Day 2: Crustless quiche... 2-3 eggs, a little milk, chopped ham, quiche,bell pepper, cheese
Day 3: get a microwave meal or cheap frozen pizza

Snacks:
yogurt and toasted bread with butter and sugar

Old 04-05-2017, 05:51 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Get a girl friend who likes to cook. Bring the wine.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:37 PM

7,126 posts, read 12,667,756 times
My two cents...(from a long-time cook who studies nutrition as a hobby)...

Beans, lentils, fresh veggies, fruits, nuts -- and whole grains such as brown rice, barley, quinoa, wheat berries -- are all your friends.

Get a couple of good vegetarian or semi-vegetarian cookbooks with simple recipes and a decent electric rice cooker with a steamer basket insert.

Once you learn to make some easy sauces (Thai, Japanese, Italian, Indian), you can do delicious one-pot meals in the rice cooker (the veggies steam while the grains are cooking).

You can add some small amounts of meat, fish, or chicken if you wish. As the Asians do.

Not only delicious, frugal -- but very wholesome and healthy.

Also, fresh fruit smoothies with low-fat yogurt and some ground flax seeds added will be fast and good breakfast and/or lunch.

Buy none or few packaged goods, skip the soda and fruit drinks...you pay through the nose for packaging and need none of the chemicals or preservatives in prepared foods.

This is the way we eat and our health and our weight are great. Easy on the budget!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living