Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 03:19 PM

525 posts, read 406,544 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I am 24 years and 5 months ago I moved into a one bedroom apartment that is 772 a month. The 772 includes utilities water and maintenance. I was working as a pre-k teacher in the same town the apartment was located. The job wasn't a fit so I found a job as a teacher in my hometown that is a 45 minute drive. I have now grown weary of driving back and forth. My apartment is situated on the north end of the town which is in the country. My fiancé and I are currently looking for homes for rent in the area I work now and being that it is a small rural community there aren't any homes for rent. However, we did see this nice 3-bedroom mobile home located in the country for rent. The realtors wanted 650 a month. I felt that was in our budget being that I make 1900 per month/ 985 bi weekly. After paying rent, that would leave me with 300+ for spending until next pay check. That beats only having 145 left after paying rent, which is what I have left after I pay the rent where I live now. The realtor told me that I was not qualified since my monthly net income is not 2,000 dollars. I had to make 4 times the rent. I told her that where I live at now I pay 100 more and always on time with my rent and I am only 100 short of the income requirement. She still would not qualify.

We both agreed to move into an apartment in town that is only 555 for a 2 bedroom apartment and 438 for a one bedroom. That is a couple 100 off what I currently pay. The apartment is closer to the place I am taking classes to receive a certification in teaching. The classes are from 6 pm -9 pm and once they are over I must drive 45 mins back home and wake up the next day for work!

I feel so bad with life. I went to college and did not like the field I got a 4 yr degree in and now receiving another undergrad degree for teaching. I am so sad right now. I feel like I am starting my life back over. What to do??

Old 01-16-2017, 06:12 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
You are not alone. I am much older than you and I am starting over too. It will be okay. Take it one day at a time.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
You are not alone. I am much older than you and I am starting over too. It will be okay. Take it one day at a time.

Thanks a lot

Old 01-16-2017, 07:07 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
Hey,

I am 24 years and 5 months ago I moved into a one bedroom apartment that is 772 a month. The 772 includes utilities water and maintenance. I was working as a pre-k teacher in the same town the apartment was located. The job wasn't a fit so I found a job as a teacher in my hometown that is a 45 minute drive. I have now grown weary of driving back and forth. My apartment is situated on the north end of the town which is in the country. My fiancé and I are currently looking for homes for rent in the area I work now and being that it is a small rural community there aren't any homes for rent. However, we did see this nice 3-bedroom mobile home located in the country for rent. The realtors wanted 650 a month. I felt that was in our budget being that I make 1900 per month/ 985 bi weekly. After paying rent, that would leave me with 300+ for spending until next pay check. That beats only having 145 left after paying rent, which is what I have left after I pay the rent where I live now. The realtor told me that I was not qualified since my monthly net income is not 2,000 dollars. I had to make 4 times the rent. I told her that where I live at now I pay 100 more and always on time with my rent and I am only 100 short of the income requirement. She still would not qualify.

We both agreed to move into an apartment in town that is only 555 for a 2 bedroom apartment and 438 for a one bedroom. That is a couple 100 off what I currently pay. The apartment is closer to the place I am taking classes to receive a certification in teaching. The classes are from 6 pm -9 pm and once they are over I must drive 45 mins back home and wake up the next day for work!

I feel so bad with life. I went to college and did not like the field I got a 4 yr degree in and now receiving another undergrad degree for teaching. I am so sad right now. I feel like I am starting my life back over. What to do??
Where I live, a 2 bed apt for $555 per month would be in an area that would not be diserable. But is this apartment in a good location?

Old 01-16-2017, 07:17 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
Where I live, a 2 bed apt for $555 per month would be in an area that would not be desirable. But is this apartment in a good location?
Where I live, you can't even rent a room for $555 a month. Incomes here are higher, but not that much higher. Count your blessings, CollegeCurious. In my area, most 24 year olds in my area are living with their parents or roommates.

I found this great 2 part podcast (#59 and #60) from a teacher that might cheer you up:

http://podcast.affordanything.com/listen/

Old 01-16-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
Where I live, a 2 bed apt for $555 per month would be in an area that would not be diserable. But is this apartment in a good location?
Yes certainly! The town is a rural area! No crime at all. The town where I am currently at is that way. Anything below 650 is in a bad area

Old 01-16-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Where I live, you can't even rent a room for $555 a month. Incomes here are higher, but not that much higher. Count your blessings, CollegeCurious. In my area, most 24 year olds in my area are living with their parents or roommates.

I found this great 2 part podcast (#59 and #60) from a teacher that might cheer you up:

Listen - Afford Anything Podcast
That's interesting. Most 20 something's in the area I am looking foward to move can't afford to rent those apt. When they were built, so many families and young people moved there but couldn't afford the rent so they eventually moved. The place looks almost empty and very quiet

Old 01-16-2017, 07:26 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I started over at 33. Went back to school to get a Masters degree. Hey life happens anyway. You can make a change or find yourself in the same situation the rest of your life. 27 years ago.

I know women that are starting over in their 60's. Better late than never.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:28 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
Yes certainly! The town is a rural area! No crime at all. The town where I am currently at is that way. Anything below 650 is in a bad area
Than it sounds like a great deal. And remember it is only temporary.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
I started over at 33. Went back to school to get a Masters degree. Hey life happens anyway. You can make a change or find yourself in the same situation the rest of your life. 27 years ago.

I know women that are starting over in their 60's. Better late than never.
Thanks. I just did not expect my life to be this way at 24. I wanted to at least be making a good amount of money and working a great job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living