U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-03-2017, 10:43 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
182 posts, read 165,976 times
Reputation: 197

Advertisements

I lived in an apartment complex in rural TN a few years ago for low income people, then got a better paying job and just never told them and just kept my older Ford Ranger to fit in. I saved some money and paid off some debt that way.

It can be done, but living among poorer people who are usually poor because of their low intellect and addictions isn't always easy. There was always a police car or three there, expecially at night, and the place always smelled like pot, and tow trucks looking to reposess vehicles were always driving around the parking lot in the middle of the night.

A lot of the fat gross older ladys were prostitutes and so were some of the underage girls. Everybody there smoked but me and a lot of disabled old drunks on disability lived there. Everyone but me was on food stamps and WIC and other assistance.

A lot of them were always asking me to give them a ride to go buy beer and cigarettes or go to see social services to get their food stamps, but I usually wouldn't because they smelled so bad from all the beer and cigarettes and dirty clothes and B.O that it would stink up my truck if I did. I would always make up some excuse as to why I couldn't so I wouldn't hurt their feelings. We usually take care of our own, but the smell they would leave in my truck wouldn't go away for three days if I did.

This was TN, though, and almost everyone there is nice, polite and very friendly no matter how poor and trashy they are because we all love Jesus down South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-03-2017, 11:08 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
182 posts, read 165,976 times
Reputation: 197
Also, don't let them know if you have WIFI or they will give you a sob story and want your password to 'pay their bills online' and also pirate a bunch of porn and movies. Don't even get me started with that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2017, 11:15 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
16,783 posts, read 20,561,439 times
Reputation: 30880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Investor View Post
I am not being politically correct in the following statement, but I believe it is true:

The trouble with saving money in housing and going to a low cost apartment or home is you have to live with poor people.

I believe on an individual basis many low income (poor) people are good. But I have learned from experience that if you live in an apartment complex with very low rents there is more trouble. Noise, poor maintenance, crime, poor customer service, police activity, etc.

When I tried to live a frugal life, my first thing I saved money on was my home. Because housing was forty percent of my expenses. I learned the hard way that trying to be frugal in the place I lived was a recipe for disaster.
I have to agree overall. I moved to lower-income areas to save money, and now live in government subsidized low-income senior housing. You can find decent apartments that serve this group, but my experience in two of these so far, is that even if management is good, you'll still have weirdo neighbors. Not necessarily dangerous or criminal - just weird.

They'd rather spend money at the casino than to replace their missing front teeth.

The trick is to not get involved with your fellow tenants. Just view it as housing and get your social outlets somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2017, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
182 posts, read 165,976 times
Reputation: 197
I also forgot to metion that poor trashy people also have undisiplined children and dogs and way too many of them.

Children are always loud and unsupervised and could easily be kidnapped, and dogs are always barking at everything and everyone and completely ignore their owners when they are told to be quiet unless the owners hit them.

There also are always carpet installers and drywall repair people there whenever anyone with feral children and animals move out becasue they cause so much damage.

I know sometimes shady landlords make up excuses to steal peoples deposit but some people deserve to have it taken from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2017, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,738 posts, read 47,532,009 times
Reputation: 17595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman Jason View Post
... It can be done, but living among poorer people who are usually poor because of their low intellect and addictions isn't always easy. There was always a police car or three there, expecially at night, and the place always smelled like pot, and tow trucks looking to reposess vehicles were always driving around the parking lot in the middle of the night.

A lot of the fat gross older ladys were prostitutes and so were some of the underage girls. Everybody there smoked but me and a lot of disabled old drunks on disability lived there. Everyone but me was on food stamps and WIC and other assistance.

A lot of them were always asking me to give them a ride to go buy beer and cigarettes or go to see social services to get their food stamps, but I usually wouldn't because they smelled so bad from all the beer and cigarettes and dirty clothes and B.O that it would stink up my truck if I did. I would always make up some excuse as to why I couldn't so I wouldn't hurt their feelings. We usually take care of our own, but the smell they would leave in my truck wouldn't go away for three days if I did.

This was TN, though, and almost everyone there is nice, polite and very friendly no matter how poor and trashy they are because we all love Jesus down South.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman Jason View Post
I also forgot to metion that poor trashy people also have undisiplined children and dogs and way too many of them.

Children are always loud and unsupervised and could easily be kidnapped, and dogs are always barking at everything and everyone and completely ignore their owners when they are told to be quiet unless the owners hit them.

There also are always carpet installers and drywall repair people there whenever anyone with feral children and animals move out becasue they cause so much damage.

I know sometimes shady landlords make up excuses to steal peoples deposit but some people deserve to have it taken from them.
Do you ever find that you use a wide brush to spread a lot of insults?

"people who are usually poor because of their low intellect and addictions"

"fat gross older ladys were prostitutes and so were some of the underage girls"

"poor trashy people also have undisiplined children and dogs"

"Children are always loud and unsupervised"

"dogs are always barking at everything and everyone and completely ignore their owners"



Where do we start?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 02:05 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
182 posts, read 165,976 times
Reputation: 197
Meh. I'm not too worried about your shaming tactics.

I was good to most of them as best as I could be, but I calls em as I sees em and people reading need to know this info before they move to a poor apartment complex.

I also forgot to add that people like that play thier music too loud and too late at night and the rednecks who were mostly freindly were angry drunks, and they would get drunk a lot. They are also the most racist and homophobic when they were drunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 07:28 AM
 
Location: Phoenix-Valley of the Sun
2,462 posts, read 1,206,832 times
Reputation: 3047
the low income housing are in some really rough neighborhoods. I don't want to get shot. I much rather live in my big, safe house and live frugally than to move in the ghetto to save a few hundred dollars but worry about my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 01:01 PM
 
Location: NJ
22,743 posts, read 28,597,649 times
Reputation: 14640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Investor View Post
I am not being politically correct in the following statement, but I believe it is true:

The trouble with saving money in housing and going to a low cost apartment or home is you have to live with poor people.

I believe on an individual basis many low income (poor) people are good. But I have learned from experience that if you live in an apartment complex with very low rents there is more trouble. Noise, poor maintenance, crime, poor customer service, police activity, etc.

When I tried to live a frugal life, my first thing I saved money on was my home. Because housing was forty percent of my expenses. I learned the hard way that trying to be frugal in the place I lived was a recipe for disaster.
no, i would not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 03:54 PM
 
11,639 posts, read 5,486,973 times
Reputation: 11049
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
the low income housing are in some really rough neighborhoods. I don't want to get shot. I much rather live in my big, safe house and live frugally than to move in the ghetto to save a few hundred dollars but worry about my life.
Yes I did the buy the cheapest in the best hood I can afford thing. Really glad I did. A few months in the ghetto were enough for me. knock knock knock, can I borrow your phone? Do you have some coke/milk/cereal (yes, I would get asked for bowls of cereal) do you have a cig or a bus pass or or or.

But worse than that some prostitute or drug dealer or something lived next door and people would knock loudly on my door for her. I feared one would be angry with a gun and burst into the wrong place. I helped her pack when she finally moved!

One girl borrowed my phone to call her bf and then later called me screaming about what am I doing in her boyfriend's call log?

ugh.

Now *I* am the ghetto neighbor and that is fine with me and seems to be fine with everyone here. And, I will catch up, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 11:32 PM
 
Location: Phoenix-Valley of the Sun
2,462 posts, read 1,206,832 times
Reputation: 3047
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Yes I did the buy the cheapest in the best hood I can afford thing. Really glad I did. A few months in the ghetto were enough for me. knock knock knock, can I borrow your phone? Do you have some coke/milk/cereal (yes, I would get asked for bowls of cereal) do you have a cig or a bus pass or or or.

But worse than that some prostitute or drug dealer or something lived next door and people would knock loudly on my door for her. I feared one would be angry with a gun and burst into the wrong place. I helped her pack when she finally moved!

One girl borrowed my phone to call her bf and then later called me screaming about what am I doing in her boyfriend's call log?

ugh.

Now *I* am the ghetto neighbor and that is fine with me and seems to be fine with everyone here. And, I will catch up, lol.
how ghetto is you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top