U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 11:25 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,809,321 times

Advertisements

We did once. We paid about 1/2 the "going" rent to live in a "rough" area. We ended up being good friends with our neighbors...they were good people who were poor (and who, in my non-expert opinion made terrible decisions with their money that kept them that way, like the older woman who lived off of about $800 a month in Social Security but who owed out $300 a week in payments between Rent-a-Center, Aaron's, etc...she didn't just outfit her place, but he "bought" her kids and grandkids presents that way). They weren't druggies (although they did drink a little, especially on the weekends), and they never made us feel unsafe.

We lived there for six months and got our money together and ended up buying our house.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 07:15 AM

473 posts, read 283,357 times
If alone, choice to try the cheap area may get you killed or at least tortured. The cops frequently do nothing to protect people who gambled on the neighborhood so you end up abandoning and buying out of lease early anyway. Lots of areas look okay in the winter but by summer, the hustle gets so bad most of the white middle class cheapskates split. Lots of the suburban 'welfare' areas are okay with two+ people in the house if you are not flashy & just keep basic stuff.

Studio apartment in area with lots of houses that are middle-class price where ever you are living will usually not get you threatened.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:04 AM

29,722 posts, read 47,472,880 times
During my career, I was stationed in many different places. My observation has been that as population-density goes up so crime increases.

Crime thrives on anonymity. You don't rob your neighbors, not necessarily because you like them, but because the likelihood of being identified is very high. In an urban environment, random assaults are easier to get away with.

As you pack more people into a square mile, on one hand, you are in the presence of more people. As you pass by more people there is a greater chance of those people irritating each other. You also have a much greater risk of there being someone in that population on the prowl looking for someone to rape or mug.

Densely packed populations require greater levels of policing, to keep those dense populations polite.

To my observation, this principle has far more to do with crime than average income level has.

To associate low income with crime is a paradigm that works primarily within an urban environment.

If you consider rural communities you may see something different.

There is drug use. In time you get to know who the drug users are. If you do not use drugs, there is no reason to hang out with the drug users. Drug use does not enter as a real problem if you do not associate with drug users. Otherwise 'crime' is very low.

Old 02-26-2017, 11:15 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,698,225 times
It comes down to, is the $500-600 a month savings on housing worth having to put up with, in my case for a while.
-Drugs dealers and use out in the open
-Break-ins during broad daylight
-Littering by making anywhere they walk a trash can
-Gangs of young teens walking around with their pants sagged and azz showing
-Rude teens and young adults that are loud and awful to live around and ready to fight, shoot. and more if you try to call them out on some of the extra stupid things they do before your own eyes.
-Random people shooting guns off in the air sometimes for no reason other than them having a gun
-Not being able to take walks in your neighborhood in fears of being robbed
-Praying your car doesnt get broken into or stolen
-Local retail will be lacking and back to worrying about smash and grabs in your car, not feeling comfortable at the gas station at nights, and more.

All this in a middle to lower middle class neighborhood for me, so im sure its even worse in lower class or poor neighborhoods.

So is all that worth $6-7000 more a year in your bank account vs peace of mind in a nicer area.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:40 PM

3,653 posts, read 1,767,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
It comes down to, is the $500-600 a month savings on housing worth having to put up with, in my case for a while.
-Break-ins during broad daylight
-Littering by making anywhere they walk a trash can
-Rude teens and young adults that are loud and awful to live around and ready to fight, shoot. and more if you try to call them out on some of the extra stupid things they do before your own eyes.
-Random people shooting guns off in the air sometimes for no reason other than them having a gun
-Local retail will be lacking and back to worrying about smash and grabs in your car, not feeling comfortable at the gas station at nights, and more.

All this in a middle to lower middle class neighborhood for me, so im sure its even worse in lower class or poor neighborhoods.

So is all that worth $6-7000 more a year in your bank account vs peace of mind in a nicer area.
Save for a lack of retail (a very nice supermarket a notable exception), the poorer neighborhood I live in has very few of these characteristics.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:53 PM

22,696 posts, read 21,741,083 times
I lived in a "declining" neighborhood when I was a kid. I saw everything there that I ever needed to see. Still, a couple of good ones by the bus station in NYC in the '70s. The pimp in the purple velveteen suit thought I might want to go home with him. His fedora didn't impress me.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
There are no visible drug dealers here.

Quote:
... -Break-ins during broad daylight
Break ins, statewide are once a week, maybe.

You did mean statewide right?

Quote:
... -Littering by making anywhere they walk a trash can
I have not seen that in years. Is that still happening?

Quote:
Where is that happening?

Are you in a war zone?

Quote:
Cars do not get stolen here.

This is a low COL area, not a high crime area.

Quote:
???

No idea what you are yammering about.

Quote:
... So is all that worth $6-7000 more a year in your bank account vs peace of mind in a nicer area.
Less than what?

Quote:
Homes start at $25k.

I am not sure what your $600/month works out to.

Apartments here start at $400/month [I am a landlord].

I have not seen the kinds of crime you are talking about for many years.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:55 AM

1,050 posts, read 584,669 times
I don't think in extremes. One can move to a less costly location without seeking out the worst possible one.

Old 03-03-2017, 03:07 PM

9,098 posts, read 3,918,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
There are no visible drug dealers here.

Break ins, statewide are once a week, maybe. You did mean statewide right? I have not seen that in years. Is that still happening?

Where is that happening?

Are you in a war zone?

Cars do not get stolen here.

This is a low COL area, not a high crime area.

???

No idea what you are yammering about.

Less than what?

Homes start at $25k.

I am not sure what your $600/month works out to.

Apartments here start at $400/month [I am a landlord].

I have not seen the kinds of crime you are talking about for many years.

Well if you really live in Maine you may see poverty but not much crime. Try living in NYC, Chicago, Detroit or any of those cities. Even where I live there are certain parts of town that are exactly like the previous poster described.

As a widow, I would rather spend more money to be in a safe neighborhood. Right now I live in a gated community on the second floor. The only way someone is breaking in my condo is through the front door which is metal. If they do that they will be met with my .38 revolver.

Old 03-03-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Well if you really live in Maine you may see poverty but not much crime. Try living in NYC, Chicago, Detroit or any of those cities. Even where I live there are certain parts of town that are exactly like the previous poster described.

As I have repeatedly said, it is not about high COL or low COL, it is all about urban vs rural.

There are high cost urban cities with high crime, there is lower cost urban cities with high crime. See the pattern?

Go to any town of less than 200 people, you could live your entire lifespan and never see violent crime, never know anyone who has experienced violent crime.

Quote:
... As a widow, I would rather spend more money to be in a safe neighborhood. Right now I live in a gated community on the second floor. The only way someone is breaking in my condo is through the front door which is metal. If they do that they will be met with my .38 revolver.
I am glad that you feel secure, there within your gated community, behind your steel door holding your revolver. I really am. People need to feel secure.

I feel secure too, without need for a gated community, without a steel door, without locked doors, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or