U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-04-2017, 08:18 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
9,103 posts, read 3,923,269 times
Reputation: 18777

Advertisements

You make it sound like I'm some paranoid woman sitting in a rocking chair with my revolver in my lap. Nothing could be further from the truth. I live my life, I avoid bad areas and I chose to live in an area where cars aren't broken into regularly and there hasn't been any robberies or break-ins since I moved here 3 1/2 years ago. Peace of mind goes a long way, in my opinion, to allowing me to come home at midnight and not worry about getting carjacked, raped, robbed or whatever. As a woman we need to be cautious and aware of our surroundings. Since I am a petite woman I am especially alert and cautious when I am out by myself.


Now if I lived in your area I would still lock my doors. Remember the movie In Cold Blood? It was based on a true story about a nice, family who lived out in the middle of nowhere until evil visited them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-04-2017, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
22,706 posts, read 21,750,727 times
Reputation: 27757
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
You make it sound like I'm some paranoid woman sitting in a rocking chair with my revolver in my lap. Nothing could be further from the truth. I live my life, I avoid bad areas and I chose to live in an area where cars aren't broken into regularly and there hasn't been any robberies or break-ins since I moved here 3 1/2 years ago. Peace of mind goes a long way, in my opinion, to allowing me to come home at midnight and not worry about getting carjacked, raped, robbed or whatever. As a woman we need to be cautious and aware of our surroundings. Since I am a petite woman I am especially alert and cautious when I am out by myself.


Now if I lived in your area I would still lock my doors. Remember the movie In Cold Blood? It was based on a true story about a nice, family who lived out in the middle of nowhere until evil visited them.
Single women, especially senior women, are often considered easy prey. I'll always have good locks...among other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2017, 11:43 AM
 
2,469 posts, read 2,724,033 times
Reputation: 2563
I think this was not a serious question, however, with that in mind, I will reply anyway.

Most people do not want to live in a high crime area in order to save money. There can be some exceptions, of course. True, there are some risk takers who will buy a house to fix it up to flip or something like that in rough areas. Ultimately most people do not fit that (flipper) profile.

For many of us out here, most of us wish to be relatively safe and do not choose to live in a high crime / blighted area.

I have moved many times over the years. I would never select to live in a crime-ridden area, there are just too many unknown risks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2017, 04:59 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Reputation: 38646
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
I think this was not a serious question, however, with that in mind, I will reply anyway.

Most people do not want to live in a high crime area in order to save money. There can be some exceptions, of course. True, there are some risk takers who will buy a house to fix it up to flip or something like that in rough areas. Ultimately most people do not fit that (flipper) profile.

For many of us out here, most of us wish to be relatively safe and do not choose to live in a high crime / blighted area.

I have moved many times over the years. I would never select to live in a crime-ridden area, there are just too many unknown risks.
If you read all the responces to the OP you would realize it was very serious. A lot of people have said they would or have chosen to live in low income areas for many reasons. Would I, nope but others feel differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2017, 09:33 AM
 
42 posts, read 34,553 times
Reputation: 69
"Would you move to a low income neighborhood to save money?"


Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 05:44 PM
 
3,431 posts, read 2,751,065 times
Reputation: 4111
A low income neighbourhood doesn't necessarily always mean more dangerous. So yes, I'd consider it, and have done it.

There are a few signs that a low income neighbourhood would be relatively safe: a high proportion of longterm residents; a high proportion of residents who are employed, rather than on public assistance and at home throughout the day; active community places, even you don't partake (churches, temples, recreation centres, etc.)... Some city neighbourhoods with a lot of immigrants have all of these factors.

If students and artsy types are moving into the neighbourhood, although it's a cliche, it likely means the neighbourhood's on the way to gentrifying anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 05:50 PM
 
3,431 posts, read 2,751,065 times
Reputation: 4111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Single women, especially senior women, are often considered easy prey. I'll always have good locks...among other things.
True, unfortunately. Although men out alone get mugged, beaten, get attacked by groups of juvenile delinquents and so on...

It's worth mentioning, that even in a relatively decent neighbourhood, a particular building might not be all that safe. There's always the rougher end of an otherwise "respectable" neighbourhood to think about. I did know one friend in university who rented in the cheapest house on the nicest street she could afford. Her theory was that she could impress people by telling them which street she lived on... the apartment building was sketchy and close to falling down, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 11:42 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
22,706 posts, read 21,750,727 times
Reputation: 27757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
True, unfortunately. Although men out alone get mugged, beaten, get attacked by groups of juvenile delinquents and so on...

It's worth mentioning, that even in a relatively decent neighbourhood, a particular building might not be all that safe. There's always the rougher end of an otherwise "respectable" neighbourhood to think about. I did know one friend in university who rented in the cheapest house on the nicest street she could afford. Her theory was that she could impress people by telling them which street she lived on... the apartment building was sketchy and close to falling down, though.
Wrong place, wrong time, poor choice. It happens.

Are there more men or women in charge of their house, home--any kind--who check to see if there are 3" screws securing their deadbolts? I know that more men than women own guns. A security system works if the police are going to show up quickly. You can now record yourself being beaten in your living room. That was a rather famous nanny cam viral.

Yes, very nice middle class, upper middle class neighborhoods experience crime. I used to live in one where every year, a group would empty all of the unlocked cars in the middle of the night. My neighbor was shy a laptop, phone, and some cash. Who leaves that in an unlocked car overnight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2017, 01:21 AM
 
5,165 posts, read 2,391,633 times
Reputation: 8193
I grew up in a "low income neighborhood". I don't recommend it as a chosen lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2017, 12:43 PM
 
Location: North State (California)
28,207 posts, read 2,196,057 times
Reputation: 9838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
A low income neighbourhood doesn't necessarily always mean more dangerous. So yes, I'd consider it, and have done it.

There are a few signs that a low income neighbourhood would be relatively safe: a high proportion of longterm residents; a high proportion of residents who are employed, rather than on public assistance and at home throughout the day; active community places, even you don't partake (churches, temples, recreation centres, etc.)... Some city neighbourhoods with a lot of immigrants have all of these factors.

If students and artsy types are moving into the neighbourhood, although it's a cliche, it likely means the neighbourhood's on the way to gentrifying anyway.

Heck yeah. We lived in the San Francisco Bay area, for many years, too expensive, so once we retired we sold our home, & moved North & bought a second hand mobile home in a senior park, It is much lower income, but quite safe & we like it & are happy to be saving money for trips etc. Becasue it is a senior park, most people are home all day so they will notice any one who doesn't belong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top