U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 05:57 AM

11,694 posts, read 16,443,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Yes you can. 3M hooks and string. DONE.
Spring rods in door frames and plastic hangers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 01:27 PM

13,432 posts, read 24,204,419 times
32 loads worth of Awesome Laundry Detergent is a buck at the 99centsOnly Store. And it's good stuff so to me this is not worth the savings.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:29 PM

7,276 posts, read 15,283,732 times
An extra spin cycle in the washer can also reduce drying time (the more expensive part) in the dryer.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:29 PM

5,337 posts, read 3,952,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Since clothes usually cost more than laundry detergent, it doesn't make sense to skimp on detergent, especially if there are "gross, sweaty areas" of the clothes. Over time the odor will build up and you'll end up having to replace the clothing sooner than you would otherwise.

You shouldn't use fabric softener with towels because it decreases their absorbency.
WASHING your clothes does NOT make them last longer.. it wears them out..
i tend to wear my jeans about 1 week before washing... shirts more often..

Old 01-24-2017, 01:32 PM

18,975 posts, read 10,032,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
i tend to wear my jeans about 1 week before washing... shirts more often..
the point was that your clothes would become unwearable if you get sweat and other odor permeated into them to the point that they never come clean.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:34 PM

711 posts, read 387,398 times
IMO dryer sheets are entirely unnecessary. Also, when you use them with towels, they decrease the absorbancy of the towels over a period of time because the chemicals "coat" the fiber of the towels.

Static cling is generally caused by overdrying your clothes. Take everything out when it's still just barely damp. Give it a good shake, lay it flat or hang for a brief period then fold.

All dryer sheets really do is add perfume to your over-dried laundry.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:22 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,707,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Point missed....

no one said that at all.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:09 AM

490 posts, read 195,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman Jason View Post
I've been skipping detergent every third tme or so with my clothes in the washer because there is usually enough residue in them that it still suds up and they still get pretty clean.

Just use a pre-treater (or carpet cleaner or upholstry cleaner) on the armpit parts and other gross sweaty areas of your clothes and add spme baking soda and maybe distilled white vinegar to it and it does just fine.

You can also put a small squirt of dish liquid in there, but very little. Like maybe 1/8 of a teaspoon.

i also cut dryer sheets in half.

I do the same thing for dishes in the dish washer on occasion. Two small drops of dish liquid with baking soda and salt in the resovoir along with some vinegar in the bottom of the dishwasher gets most dishes just as clean as detergents do. Very greasy dishes and pans I do by hand anyway.

Baking soda and distilled white vinegar is what you use to clean your washer and dishwasher anyway so using that on occasion also keeps your machines clean and gets rid of a lot of soap and grease residue.

You can also wash clean clothes, especially towels, with that mixture to refresh and soften them because it strips away all the built up fabric softener from most fabric.
For laundry, as my clothes don't get very dirty, I put about half the clothes in, pour enough liquid tide detergent to just cover the bottom of the cup, pour that into the clothes I have already added, then put the rest of the clothes in, and add the same amount of detergent in and the full load of clothes come out fine.

I do not need fabric softener or dryer sheets at all.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:46 AM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman Jason View Post
I'd been using those Tide pods but when I run out I will go to liquid and just use less. I'd read somewhere that for most loads people use 4 times what they really need.

I'm in an apartment and can't use a clothesline though.
You can use a drying rack, the folding wooden ones. My clothes used to come out stiffer and more wrinkled when I hung them to dry, so for me it wasn't worth the bother.

Old 01-27-2017, 01:40 PM

3,137 posts, read 1,616,536 times
I think the people who make detergent want people to believe they need to use a lot in every wash.

Same thing with shampoo, they try to convince us we need to wash our hair every day and use lots of shampoo and wash, rinse, repeat. It strips the hair of natural oils. I don't use shampoo every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living