U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 02:10 PM

11,623 posts, read 5,457,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I think the people who make detergent want people to believe they need to use a lot in every wash.

Same thing with shampoo, they try to convince us we need to wash our hair every day and use lots of shampoo and wash, rinse, repeat. It strips the hair of natural oils. I don't use shampoo every day.
I haven't found that to be true with the HE varieties. I have a front-loading machine, so I can see there are not too many suds.

Clean clothes are important to me so I don't scrimp. I DO maximize the detergent though. After it's done agitating I turn it off and let the detergent soak in really well. Since I started doing this, it is VERY rare that I have to use another product to remove a stain.

I should start hanging things in the bathroom to dry, though ..... (lazy).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 10:40 PM

936 posts, read 1,216,822 times
Instead of detergent we mix up our own laundry soap brew. I tried the dry, grate the soap bar method but didn't like it. Then I found this recipe that we have been using for years. Save a couple of the gallon detergent dispenser containers with the tap on the front and I make up 2 of the containers at a time.

3 Tablespoons borax
3 Tablespoons washing soda
3 Tablespoons (or to taste!) Meyers liquid soap (or anything you like, even a few drops of Dawn if you have greasy work clothes)
Boil 3-4 cups of water, pour into detergent container and dissolve borax and soda. Fill container with water leaving space for the liquid soap. Shake well. Voila! Start with 1/4 cup per load if really dirty, but we get buy with less for the average load.

In case you are curious...we live on a septic and our pumping guy says we have much less sludge than he used to see before we switched. Commercial detergents (especially powders) have a lot of inert ingredients that do not dissolve. We've had top loaders and now a front loader and it works equally as well.

How well does it clean really dirty stuff? Daughter had a job that required her to sort fish for 2 hours/day and then work on the docks around marine animals with other smelly stuff all day and then pressure wash the fish scum and poop off the docks at the end of the day. Her clothes smelled so bad that she had to take them off in the garage so the house wouldn't smell. 1/4 cup of my homemade soap per load (about 3 days worth of clothes) had her clothes smelling fresh and clean. Husband is retired mechanic and comes in with really greasy clothes some days. Again, 1/4 cup works like a charm. Regular loads like towels, my office attire, household stuff gets a few tablespoons of the mix and it comes out fine. I do admit that all of our towels and sheets are white so I use a bit of bleach in those loads.

I find that we only use as much soap as necessary, erring on the side of less because most of us use way too much. I don't want to see a lot of suds in my front loader. A box of borax and a box of washing soda each run about $3, and I watch for sales on the Meyers liquid soap so I get that about $3-4/bottle. One box of soda, borax, and a bottle of soap last us a long time but we are just 3 adults. But seriously for $10 in supplies you are going to get gallons and gallons of laundry mix. You can't buy even one gallon of commercial detergent for $10 even if you are shopping at the club stores.

We don't use dryer sheets. When the weather is nice enough we hang outside to dry and hubs likes his jeans tumbled to soften in the dryer for a few minutes. But I find that my office clothes last a very long time now that they do not go through the dryer most of the time. Towels are a bit stiff at first but I like a rough texture and they actually soften up to a normal texture once they have been used or have hung in the bathroom while someone showers.

It takes 5 minutes to heat the water and mix it all up. Worth saving many, many pennies!

Old 02-25-2017, 12:31 AM

1,572 posts, read 597,786 times
It's been years since I did this but I used to wash my dishes with only water. Grease, everything came off. I use Dawn now though. the small 9 oz. bottle lasts at least a year, maybe longer.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:04 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,812,336 times
Anderson Cooper wears the Raw jeans which you can wear for up to 15 months without washing. I think that theory is instead of washing, put them in the freezer instead to kill the germs. Not my thing. I don't necessarily wash clothes after every wearing because I often only wear clothes 2-3 hours at a time. No way for 15 months. They do get physical dirt on them. I can't drink or eat without spilling something.

On the no dish soap. I've been told that a dishwasher is basically only a sanitizer that kills germs with hot water. No need for soap. I prefer to use soap anyway.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:24 PM

I just did the math and I pay less than 10 cents per load for the detergent. I think the water and electricity and cost of wear and tear on the washer/dryer and the clothes is way more expensive than the soap, so I am certainly not giving up that part. that makes no sense to me at all.

I do save money on spot/stain products by letting the detergent be used fully. after agitating, let it sit for 5-15 minutes to really soak in and lift that stuff off.

Since I started doing that I hardly ever have to use my oxi-clean or clorox II.

I would do that even if I didn't want to save money. Less work, less waste!

Old 02-25-2017, 11:38 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,996,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Yes you can. 3M hooks and string. DONE.
. Fold down drying rack. About $25. I have used mine for over 15 years - outdoors in the summer, inside in the winter. I never use a dryer.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:05 AM

473 posts, read 283,583 times
You might need to let the washer fill up with water and just turn it off & let the clothing sit in the water for half an hour or so before finishing the rinse/spin. Your clothing probably doesn't pass the sniff test without soaking some in the water.

Some people switch over the washing soda and a bar of shredded up soap bits. But, this doesn't work that great in areas with hard water. Just leaves white grit on my brights or black stuff.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:50 AM

5,514 posts, read 5,496,825 times
I find this thread disturbing.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I find this thread disturbing.
lol! Seriously. Saving 8 cents? and 8 cents is for a load of name-brand detergent not on sale and sans coupon. It could easily be FOUR CENTS.

Why spend on electricity, water, wear and tear on clothes and washer and/or dryer but save FOUR CENTS on soap? What is the point?

If one doesn't care if clothes are clean then just spray with febreeze to save money ........

Old 02-28-2017, 08:30 PM

116 posts, read 71,684 times
Default Water itself is nature's best solvent...

.. and it's debatable if the soap really does that much for cleaning, other than breaking the surface tension of the water. My clothes don't get that dirty, and I use about half, or less than the recommended amount of detergent. Clothes come out just fine. I never use a dryer.

I haven't found a good alternative for dish liquid, and prefer to use the natural like Seventh Generation. I ran out of that lately, but have a lot of Soft Soap, so I mixed some 50/50 with water and using that for dishes. Working just fine. Baking soda makes a good scrub for anything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living